Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Arty's Smokin' Poker Blog

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#381)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi guys,
Just played The Big Bang today and ran better than the last time. Got busted with AQo vs AJo, villain got the straight on the river. Finished on 19th... On the 18th the prize was $40 but $30 will have to do, running better everytime how did you guys do? Anyone else played it?

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 10:06 PM
(#382)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi Mute

Congrats

I didnt get a ticket my only way in is writing a good blog(I fail everytime ) or that hand analysis thing which i havent seen for a while

$30 is very very good for a freeroll i know 40 is better but 20 is worse but stil great as it a freeroll

rolo

Old
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 06:54 AM
(#383)
Since: Oct 2011
You did great in the Bang, mute07. Just about everyone in my skype group (including several PSO team members) busted out pretty quickly, mainly through coolers. I went out about 240th or something like that, shortly after I'd been crippled by stacking off aces on a paired board vs a maniac. (I'd folded kings in the same spot earlier, but this time the pot was too big to give up on).
Congrats on your deep run. Keep blogging, and maybe you'll get a ticket and go deeper next time.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 18, 2013, 08:58 PM
(#384)
I've finally got round to writing part 18 of the ABC of 2NL. The next few articles are on post-flop play (as inspired by braveslice's message a couple of months ago) and it could get quite complex, so it's just an introduction today.

The ABC of 2NL, part 18: An Introduction to Effective Value-betting Post-flop.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 30, 2013, 06:39 PM
(#385)
Hey guys,

I've been playing a little bit of zoom due to the Team Online promo and I was wondering, people play tighter zoom? or is the other way around? Haven't play that many hands to tell... What do you guys think? By the way I'm waiting for the next entry on you blog Arty

Old
Thu Oct 31, 2013, 12:24 AM
(#386)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I haven't had a chance to follow your blog lately which I find unfortunate to say the least. I just read your latest ABC of 2NL blog entry and I am definitely looking forward to the next one. It should be very interesting and I can't help but notice how appropriate it is for live 1/2 NL play as well.

Old
Tue Nov 19, 2013, 07:05 PM
(#387)
I've been away, but I'm back to updating my blog more frequently now.

You can't value-bet effectively if you don't read the board and work out which worse hands can call. So that's the subject of this week's blog:

The ABC of 2NL, part 19: Some more thoughts on Relative Hand Strength.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:28 AM
(#388)
Hey Arty, i'm always a shortage of time, so i could not read your blog. Finally found the time and read it. You did a great job and it's really good, interesting and useful blog! I'm MTT and SNG player, but sometimes at the end of the session, i add a couple of cash tables to not get bored.
So, i decided that the cash games i'll play on your strategy. I especially like your full ring open-raising chart. Over the past few days i played 4K hands NL2. I won $11 and i have 11.25 bb/100. I do not know much cash games, but i think that the result is quite good.
Btw, what is considered as a good income at a distance of 100K hands NL2?

Good luck at the tables!

S-G

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 06:54 PM
(#389)
11bb/100 in a full ring game on Stars is great, but bear in mind that 4,000 hands is a very small sample. Don't expect the wins to continue forever.
With any luck, you'll be able to add $100 to your bankroll over 50,000 hands, and that should mean you have enough to take shots at 5NL.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
(#390)
My latest ABC blog is up. Continuing with the theme of basing value-betting lines on relative hand strength, this one describes the most straightforward situation:
The ABC of 2NL, part 20: Value-betting in position as the pre-flop aggressor.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 03:46 PM
(#391)
Hi Arty Happy New year to you lets hope its a good one

I have a question regarding latest blog something which I often ponder

"With big hands (sets, 2pr, TPTK) go for three streets of value"...now of course im in full agreement but my question is ...isnt it really obvious to opponents if you bet all 3 streets its for value so they should fold?

I know this is no tthe case as I do value own a few in cash games with monster hands but why do they seem to fall for it everytime?

I expect it that they dont undertsand odds/hand ranges/hand strength etc so presumably inhigher stakes the bet bet bet line isnt effective?

Sorry was just tring to answer my own question which is a simple one yet I dont think I know the answer

Again vice versa if you dont go for 3 streetes of value don tthey know you dont have a monster?..justsome thoughts of mine thinking out loud but thought I put them out there

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 04:05 PM
(#392)
Good questions, Rolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post
I know this is no tthe case as I do value own a few in cash games with monster hands but why do they seem to fall for it everytime?
Stations gonna station.
There are lots of players that are unable to fold top pair (or worse), no matter how strong your range appears to be, primarily because villains aren't doing much ranging. The archetypal "level one thinker" isn't putting you on a hand. He's just thinking "I have top pair, that's a good hand, I call".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post
presumably inhigher stakes the bet bet bet line isnt effective?
This is true to an extent. Villains are more capable of ranging you at 50NL than they are at 2NL. To combat this, you need to balance your lines. You can go for three streets of value with your big hands, but to make sure you get paid often, you need to balance your ranges, by which I mean you need to sometimes take the same three street line with your medium strength hands and bluffs. If a villain knows that your triple barrel range is composed equally of monsters and airballs, he's in a quandary, since he'll win half the time and lose half the time if he calls.
In short, your monsters will get paid at higher stakes, but only if you mix in some bluffs to keep villains guessing. At higher stakes, villains pride themselves on hero-calling when they think you're bluffing. You therefore have to get caught bluffing occasionally, in order that your value-bets also get called.

In the micros, you don't need to balance your ranges so much. There's no need to disguise the strength of your hand, or fire three barrels with air. You can play "exploitably" by going for max value with strong hands, and by not putting much money in the pot with air.

Hope this helps.

Happy new year to you and everyone else that reads my blogs.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 11:11 PM
(#393)
Thanks Arty & a Happy New Years to you too

yeah makes sense so obvious answer but I wasnt clear and it was late when i typed it i think

I guess Im startin to learn and wonder why things work and then try to go from there..tryin to get back into studying now holidays are over

Sometiems i got to admit I can call down light or fold when possibly a bit too strong(I used ot always think they were bluffin and i was curious) so would call and it rare they really stone cold bluffing @th every low stakes..(ok as Dave woudl say it depends so you do find the odd few people who can bluff with nothing)

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 07:37 AM
(#394)
Just a little update. I posted a well received blog about why I won't be setting a profit goal this year, with the main reason being the unpredictability of variance.

Speaking of variance, turbo Sit n' Gos are probably not good for my health or bankroll, but I'm playing a few of them to keep practicing my pushbotting skills. I'm having some success, but a lot of it has to do with luck. Sometimes, you just run hotter than the sun.

Exhibit A: Flopping quad aces.

I rarely slowplay big hands, but I think it's absolutely standard to check back this super-dry flop when I have the deck crippled. That said, I think it's an error for me to shove the river, even though it's less than a pot sized bet. I should probably bet smaller in the hope villain will call with a random pair.

Exhibit B: Shipping KQ and getting 3 callers. Got it in so bad, and had to go runner-runner.

My open jam is standard, based on stack size and position, but I knew I was in bad shape the moment a nit insta-called, let alone 2 more players entering the pot. It was pretty funny to see the micro stack smash the flop with 72, but the turn and river were just incredible.
I used my monster stack to completely abuse the bubble, shoving total garbage (e.g. J2, 95) on the midstacks while they waited for a 2bb shorty to go out. I even prolonged the bubble by letting the shorty stick around.
Heads up against a long-term winner was actually quite easy, as I had a 3:1 advantage, but it was still nice to book a win. Meanwhile I was busting with TT vs 99 on another table. As Scott Seiver said a year ago: "It makes the most sets, it's mathematically proven".

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 08:00 AM
(#395)
Hi Arty, I hope all is well

On the AA hand, yeah, you sucked all the air out of the room on that flop - nice! I would have thought raising the turn would be best. Either the villain has air and won't be putting more in the pot either way, or they might have some sort of flush, str draw that might be willing to call a small raise (maybe shoving) now while they still believe they can improve on the river.

GLGL

Greg

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 08:34 AM
(#396)
Since: Sep 2010
Flopping quads is normally a bad outcome - you almost never get paid so it's worthless.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 07:16 PM
(#397)
New blog will be available shortly.

The ABC of 2NL, part 21: Value-betting when out of position as the pre-flop aggressor.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 08:50 PM
(#398)
Since: Feb 2010
Arty I really hope you keep this up.

Everything you have contributed here has been excellent.

You need to get the best value for yourself - and I think sharing with peers is a good motivational tool - but what you share has been so valuable for new players or old but poor players like me.

Just want to say you make a difference - like so many good PSO contributors.

Keep on keeping on.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 09:13 AM
(#399)
Thanks a lot for the support Ed.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:18 AM
(#400)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi Arty,

I hope all is well. One weapon that I yet to add to my arsenal is semi-bluffing with draws on flop (i.e. 8 out flush or straight draw where I raise someones cbet in position hooping that I either take it down on the flop or when I make the hand). Since you have a lot of experience of 2nl, do you think it's something that I should add. What villains types and positions do you think this will be best placed, if not at all?

My bankroll is nearly at $150, and very soon I am looking to take a stab at 5nl and want to be well prepared. I have heard that 5nl is not that much different to 2nl. Also I am looking to play 5nl Zoom, do you have an experience of that?

How's poker treating you these days?

Cheers,

Pullin

Last edited by pullin1988; Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com