Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL - QQ in 3bet pot

Old
5NL - QQ in 3bet pot - Tue Mar 19, 2013, 06:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
What do you think of the turn and river line?
Should we have b/f turn instead?

I checked turn to keep JJ/TT/99/77 in his range which I think by betting turn would give him more reason to fold as I would rep AK/AA and on the river I went for thin value against JJ/99/77 (perhaps too thin with the T OTR?)

MP is unknown
BTN VPIP:14/PFR:11/Agg:1/3b:4 (58 Hands)

Old
Tue Mar 19, 2013, 03:26 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Geo

I think this is a perfectly reasonable line to take in this spot, I don't mind it at all. The alternative is to bet turn to shove the river or to bet turn to check the river. I think both are a bit problematic for reasons you touched on.

Betting the turn packs a lot of fold equity, so much so that we might not get called enough by worse and will just get too many folds. Betting the turn to shove the river is really skating on thin ice since we might only get called by weird KX hands and then slowplayed monsters. Betting the turn to check the river makes a good deal of sense since our opponent's range should mostly check back and they will only shove when checked to with slowplays.

However when we check this turn I think we stand a good chance of being looked up by villains entire river bluff catching range. We shouldnt expect them to move allin with those hands so I wouldn't worry when you see a shove like this that you are getting bluffed. More likely is they have a hand like TT that got a fortunate card.

nh

Old
Tue Mar 19, 2013, 04:22 PM
(#3)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Since: Jun 2010
Supernova
It probably kind of depends on your overall game plan but I like betting the turn because if I was bluffing ever, this would be quite a scary card to do so so it balances my range a bit. You shouldn't be worried about the King improving your opponent. If you think he's scared the King though that he wouldn't call a turn bet then I don't see why he would call a river bet then when you check so maybe you are just giving away free cards by checking the turn.

Last edited by nanonoko; Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 08:57 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com