Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

What would you do in this spot?

Old
What would you do in this spot? - Tue Mar 19, 2013, 05:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
I need your opinion on a hand i played earlier today.
There were 36 people left in a $3.30 dollar tournament ( around 1500 entries ). THe blinds were 2K/4K with 375 ante if i remember correctly. I had pocket 4s and a 130K stack on the button when it was folded around to me. Guy in the big blind had 80K after losing more than half of his stack a few hands ago ( had 170K ). I made it 9K to go and pretty fast he shoved on me. What would you have done? FOLD or CALL?
Your thoughts and opinions are most appreciated

Old
Tue Mar 19, 2013, 08:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi eSlavkovski. Welcome to the forum. There is an overview of the PSO site features here.

I would fold your hand on the flop. you are likely facing a bigger pair, which has you crushed, or two overs, which is essentially a coin flip. With the big blind having just lost a big pot, I would consider folding small pairs preflop. He is quite possibly tilted and you will have little if any fold equity. With small pairs your profits come from fold equity or set mining. His stack is not deep enough for set mining to be profitable with an open raise. With over 30 bigs, you can fford to wait for a better spot to pick up chips.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:39 AM
(#3)
Hi eSlavkovski,

Congrats on making such a deep run.

I like your open size, and I think opening is fine unless you seriously think the guy is very likely to spazz out. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do when the BB shoves, as Bearxing points out we are either way behind or flipping 50/50 for half our stack. Not a good situation.

This is a fold for me.

Hope you ran well for the rest of the tourney.
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:41 AM
(#4)

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 07:44 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
I was playing with the guy for quite some time and he was a pretty weird dude. He would fold 30 hands in a row than 3bet 10 hands in a row showing bluffs. After he lost half of his stack he was pretty tilted and he was cursing in the chat. Based on that i decided to go with my hand and call. It turned out to be a good read/call imo cuz he actually showed 7h 2s but he hit his 7 on the turn. I was pretty crushed
Anyways thanks for taking time to respond, next time i'll now better

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:57 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2013
With the stack sizes I would open jam with 44 here on the button. You are going to get jammed on a lot when you open here and he has the perfect stack size to do so. You really don't want to get into a race with 44 so just jam pick up the blinds and antes. The only way I would not jam here is if you had a stronger hand and wanted him to jam.

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 09:15 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSlavkovski View Post
I was playing with the guy for quite some time and he was a pretty weird dude. He would fold 30 hands in a row than 3bet 10 hands in a row showing bluffs. After he lost half of his stack he was pretty tilted and he was cursing in the chat. Based on that i decided to go with my hand and call. It turned out to be a good read/call imo cuz he actually showed 7h 2s but he hit his 7 on the turn. I was pretty crushed
Anyways thanks for taking time to respond, next time i'll now better
good?

if he had 72o it´s obv. he pushes with any2 and that was your read. good is that your read was true but even if you´re a fortune teller and would have known for 100% sure that he has this hand before you called your call was simply wrong. the reason is that a call is combined with the risk of busting. the increase of prize money is 25% if you make it to the next stage and your stack is by far good enough for that. against any2 your 44 has only a marginal edge which is monetarized by far below the increase in money you have by a simple fold. so overall your call has a negative expectation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinCapone View Post
With the stack sizes I would open jam with 44 here on the button. You are going to get jammed on a lot when you open here and he has the perfect stack size to do so. You really don't want to get into a race with 44 so just jam pick up the blinds and antes. The only way I would not jam here is if you had a stronger hand and wanted him to jam.
# this

you spent your 1st post wisely, sir.

not sure how ahar comes to the point bet pre was fine....

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com