Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Monster hands

Old
Monster hands - Wed Mar 20, 2013, 09:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
hello,

I think I remember it says a monster hand is AA KK QQ & maybe AKs I think the training says to raise, re raise 3rdbet etc. with these sorts of hands.

Anyways, I was wondering what you would do in this situation- if 3 people before you have gone all-in. I am the effective stack holding around 3000 chips, whilst the others hold 4000+ chips. What are the chances of me winning the hand with QQ?
I called cause I wasn't sure and lost out, somebody got an Ah straight. Should I normally fold if three others are all-in and it's a QQ?

Thanks

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 09:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Blackholden4,

QQ+ and AKs are indeed monsters which you'd usually re-raise and be happy to get all in versus one opponent. It gets a little more complicated if there's a ton of action in front of you, and also it depends on the type of game you're playing. In league games, surviving is more important that taking gambles, even when you think you have the best hand, so I'd be folding QQ if there are 3 players all in before me, because you're in terrible shape against KK/AA, and any Ax has a good chance to beat you.
In a non-league freeroll, I'd sometimes call and sometimes fold. It would depend just how crazy the opponents are. If you've seen them go all in with JT, then QQ is in good shape, but if all 3 players will go all in with the top 10% of hands (something like 66+,A9s+,KJs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo), your winning chances are around 37%, and you're contributing 25% of the pot, so you don't have a huge edge, but it would be profitable in the long run.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com