Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

No Tilt Challenge.

Old
No Tilt Challenge. - Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Ok a bit of background before I go into the details for the challenge.

I have been playing poker for around 5 years plus starting out on stars from the beginning.

I was a long term losing player constantly depositing binking and then tiliting through playing outside of my bankroll.

I had a big bink on another UK based poker room a year or so ago and thats when I started taking things a bit more seriously.

I signed up to PSO and another training site and spent a good six months doing as much training as possible and improving my game.

I started playing on full tilt again recently and with a bit of help from table ninja was multi tabeling 15 6 max sngs comfortably with an average ROI of around 15%.

I have set myself the challenge of going from silver star to supernova by the end of 2013 starting with a bankroll of just shy of $100.

I will be playing some micro millions events but mostly qualifying through the uber cheap satellites. I also had a few tickets from 4 cashes in the WBCOOP series a couple of weeks ago.

My plan is to start with the $3.50 6 max sngs and work my way through.

Yes I know this is not within my bankroll as such but I feel comfortable at these stakes and think...edit know I can beat them though I will initially be playing only 5 or 6 tables whilst playing the micro millions.

I will update daily with my PT stats and details of my progress...wish me luck

feel free to come and rail / say hi if I am at the tables

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
welcome specopkirbs,

Quote:
Originally Posted by specopkirbs View Post
I have set myself the challenge of going from silver star to supernova by the end of 2013 starting with a bankroll of just shy of $100.
tough goal...

Quote:
My plan is to start with the $3.50 6 max sngs and work my way through.

Yes I know this is not within my bankroll as such but I feel comfortable at these stakes and think...edit know I can beat them though I will initially be playing only 5 or 6 tables whilst playing the micro millions.
pls don´t get me wrong here. i´m a fan of tough challenges myself and i went with a aggressive brm myself many times but compared to your goal of becoming supernova do you think that´s a smart decision? - stars is tougher than FTP and swings can be brutal on 45ers. 50bi would be already a very aggressive brm for your winrate but 28; your risk of ruin is >50%, you know? sounds more like a "one coinflip away from broke"-challenge but a tilt less blog to me.

supernova race is a challenge of endurance first. i would think through that plan and start a bit lower with a more conservative brm or be prepared to cash in.

how do you came to the title of your challenge? - i was attracted by it but couldn´t find anything about tilt inside.

good luck at the felts!

ps: out of interest i did the math and if i´m right your chance of experiencing a downswing of 30bi or more is 54.1% on 500 games.

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#3)
Quote:
pls don´t get me wrong here. i´m a fan of tough challenges myself and i went with a aggressive brm myself many times but compared to your goal of becoming supernova do you think that´s a smart decision? - stars is tougher than FTP and swings can be brutal on 45ers.
Hi mate first of all thanks for taking an interest...

I am actually not playing the 45ers just the standard 6 Max STTs. I will be playing Turbos and the varience will be slightly higher than the standard STTs but certainly not as bad as the 45 mans, though I may mix in some of these later. When I refered to the 5 or 6 tables I was referring to the number of tables I will be playing at once

I will initially be taking a fairly aggro stance with BRM but will not take shots at the $7 Sngs until I have at least 50BI.

Quote:
how do you came to the title of your challenge? - i was attracted by it but couldn´t find anything about tilt inside.
Actually a very good point you raise there, I actually got side tracked while writing the thread and didn't explain fully.

Prior to having my big bink I was always always chasing the money. I was determained to get that big score and the few times when I did bink big I would go on winners tilt and rinse it away in a few games of heads up cash way way way out of my bankroll.

The times when I didn't win I would move up to recoup losses and ultimately end up redepositing over and over, shoving with crap all the time determined that the poker rooms were here to see me off.

I suffered badly from winners tilt and losers tilt at the same time and ultimately I lost a hell of a lot of money. It wasn't money that I couldn't afford but certainly could have been put to better use.

It wasn't until I got my hands on the book "the mental game of poker" that I really got a grip of my tilt issues and turned my game around. It turned out I was a good player but just couldn't deal with variance.

And as for pokerstars being a better standard of play than full tilt. I agree with you some what at the low to mid stakes but certainly the micros are very beatable here as they were at full tilt.

good luck to you too stats from my first session coming right up

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 01:24 PM
(#4)
Here are the stats from my first small session I will be playing a much higher volume later this evening after the micromillions events I am regged to.

sitting pretty in the Omaha Hi/Lo event at the moment. Hit big with quad Ks early on ...

edit: guy shoves big on the turn when he hits trip 4s on the turn... I was sat on a full house with my 3s I shove he snaps and hits his K on the river to make his FH

Edit again: I get my chips in with FH on the flop 4 callers and quadruple up again

Edit yet again: and I am out AA vs AA he hits trips with his other cards on the river sigh

Last edited by specopkirbs; Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 01:47 PM
(#5)
sorry my fault. most people i know have switched to 45/90/180 and rush on demand. i´m out of the sng biz for a while now so my knowledge is outdated at some points. is there still enough traffic for 6max turbo stt? - there are so many games nowerdays... fr, 6max, hypers, 5050, knockouts, turbo, standard that i thought the player pool is to much divided to focus on only one of them especially when it comes to stt.

mental game is a very good book. well worth the money. unbelieveable it´s only 15 bucks on amazon. working on the mental part myself and i´m actually focussing on time management and session warmup.

as said i´m not that deep anymore in sng. played only around two douzens so far this year and i focus more on heads up sng as played them for almost two years on a regular base. visited some coachings of colin moshman recently. may be it´s interesting to you? - iirc there are free session videos available on twitch of those live coachings.

from what i´ve seen since reopening ftp is way looser and way more fishy even on micros. i can only refer to cash games but there´s a significant difference. the tables are on average around 5 points loser in vpip/pfr, in rush games it´s even more. don´t know why this difference should be only on cash games but yes traffic on ftp is a problem.

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:49 PM
(#6)
Have to agree full tilt has been very fishy of late. The micros are insanely beatable with just solid ABC poker but I think that is pretty standard across all poker rooms. Even the low stakes $7 - 15 there is very little difference in the standard of play. Last week I had a few sessions on the $15 sngs and was kicking up an average roi of around 25%. I then took a few shots at some of the daily bigs and pretty much finished around the bubble in each one.

I really need to work on my mid to late stage play in the MTTs. I always seem to run deep then find my self scared to call the short stacks with marginal hands but its the only way to win really by picking up those marginal ones. I seem to end up short going into the late stages.

Seen some of the videos of colin moshman, sick player. Which site have you been watching his videos on? Just been watching one on card runners.

I did play a fair few HU Sngs on FT. I tend to play the deep stack ones. Although they take longer it lets you play those marginal hands to the river without putting your stack on the line.

It also means that if you do lose a big hand or two your not forced to shove every hand. I am trying to avoid the hypers where possible as the varience in them is sick and I think to be playing them for a decent profit you really need to be playing the HU hypers at a reasonable BI or the rake + varience is a killer.

Just been doing some analysis of some of the regs I have picked out in the 6 max sngs. I say they are regs they probably arent but the ones I have the most hand history on. Some of them of some crazy vpip and pfr stats.

That said it kind of mirrors the way I have been playing the turbo sngs to an extent. I have taken an approach that is much more aggro than the play I am used to in the standard sngs on FT. Much more pfr and Cbetting than I would usually do. I think taking a LAG approach can be quite profitable in these games, it is pretty obvious in the micros when they are sitting on monsters as 9/10 times the chips will be in the middle as soon as they hit.

The traffic is pretty good in the 6 max sngs still probably not so much in the higher levels but certainly at the micros there is a game starting every 30s or so.

Once the micro millions is finished I will probably go back to 10 - 15 tabeling the micro sngs and sacrifice a bit of my ROI to push up those VPPs and FPPs.

Just been reading some of your blog posts by the way very interesting read. Loving the carbon skin you have made too looks awesome

Last edited by specopkirbs; Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 03:05 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 03:36 PM
(#7)
Hi specopkirbs. Welcome to the forum. Here is an overview of the PSO site to get you familiarized with all the features.

Bankroll management and handling tilt are the keys to being a profitable player, along with a little skill of coarse.

Good luck with your challenge
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 03:46 PM
(#8)
thanks doug,

been around for a little while so know my way round ok

good luck

Last edited by specopkirbs; Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: terrible spelling

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:00 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by specopkirbs View Post
I really need to work on my mid to late stage play in the MTTs. I always seem to run deep then find my self scared to call the short stacks with marginal hands but its the only way to win really by picking up those marginal ones. I seem to end up short going into the late stages.

Seen some of the videos of colin moshman, sick player. Which site have you been watching his videos on? Just been watching one on card runners.
may be you will like this...

**deleted links that are against the TOS JWK24**

it´s prety new content. live coaching sessions and a session review from the last 8 weeks. have fun

Quote:
Just been reading some of your blog posts by the way very interesting read. Loving the carbon skin you have made too looks awesome
thx

Last edited by JWK24; Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: removed links to competing site

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 06:06 PM
(#10)
Jared's second book is released in April, he's running a special pre order offer of 20% off and signed copy if your interested.

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 06:20 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73REX73 View Post
Jared's second book is released in April, he's running a special pre order offer of 20% off and signed copy if your interested.
I am indeed interested mate, how do I go about doing the pre order?
Just noticed your in Lincoln mate... I am just outside Metheringham...do you play live at all?
Quote:
may be you will like this...

**deleted links that are against the TOS JWK24**

it´s prety new content. live coaching sessions and a session review from the last 8 weeks. have fun

Read more: PokerSchoolOnline Forum - Reply to Topic http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz2O7nXOdmA
thanks mate managed to get the links before they got deleted

Here are the stats for todays session. Not as much volume as I liked and I think I will ditch the micromillions until the weekend and concentrate on the sngs until friday.

Not a bad start and will aim to play around 100 tomorrow evening and start ramping up the volume over the weekend...thank god for table ninja.

Last edited by specopkirbs; Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#12)
I think Jared's website address is in The Mental Game of Poker 1 or you can just do an internet search for Jared Tendler.

No I've never played live, I'd be to easy to read .

Last edited by 73REX73; Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 06:41 PM
(#13)
Great stuff will look it up tomorrow

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 06:54 PM
(#14)
I'm not sure how much the book is on Amazon in UK because if you order from Jared's site the book is shipped from the US which adds to the price.

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 07:29 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73REX73 View Post
I'm not sure how much the book is on Amazon in UK because if you order from Jared's site the book is shipped from the US which adds to the price.
Quote:
Ebooks will be available on April 23rd in Kindle, Apple iBookstore, Nook, Kobo, PDF, and ePub.
snap call

have you guys read the "Schnitzelfisch"-Guide?

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:10 PM
(#16)
Quote:
snap call

have you guys read the "Schnitzelfisch"-Guide?
I haven't mate seen a couple of the videos though he is pretty well respected will have to look it up

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:12 PM
(#17)
I have not, but will try to, thanks for recommending it.

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 01:58 PM
(#18)
Ok so a little update.
Didn't post anything yesterday as I was out on the beer, and now feeling worse for wear

Had a bit of a swingy day yesterday, wrong side of variance for the majority of the time and few tilted decisions. Still in profit but ended up down about $20 for the day or 5 buy ins which was slightly annoying.

Today I have been running great and have had a lovely upswing. Been making some really good decisions post flop and seem to be hitting every other flop hard.

Only a few points away from a $10 stellar reward and might take a shot at a couple of $7 sngs later this evening if the roll keeps moving up.

Onward and upwards as they say

Last edited by specopkirbs; Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old
Pump up the volume - time to up my game - Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:23 PM
(#19)
A couple of weeks since i posted an update.

I have been playing a bit on Full Tilt and managed a deep run in one of the FTOPs events and managed to score myself a nice roll which I have now moved across to pokerstars.

Found myself rolled to play the nl50 heads up cash games so thought i would give them a crack as i always seem to run good playing HU.

I only had 20BI at nl50 so thought rather than risk ruin i would take a few shots at the heads up tables and if it didnt work out i would just continue playing sngs probably the $7 ones with the current bankroll i have though tbh i really dont see that much difference in the standard between 7 and 15.

anyway here is my current cash graph:

and my current sng graph:

You will notice i havent put much volume in of late but this is mostly due to work commitments and the kids being on the school holidays. Fortunately I have a week to myself now with no commitments and intend to "pump up the volume"!!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com