Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl 6max, a pair and an open-ender... continue?

Old
10nl 6max, a pair and an open-ender... continue? - Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:43 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012

just sat down, so no reads on villain
i decide to call with pocket 99 in BB.
flop comes coordinated, with a str8 draw(or made str8) and two suits. oppo makes a half pot bet.
probably my pair is no good, but i have an open-ender. the thing is that i dont know if 7h and Qh are clean outs. so, what is the right play here?
fold, call or raise?
in case i had continued(called or raised) and the turn was the 7h or Qh, what should i do?

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Espada,

I would call after checking, but also think it's advisable to generally lead out here rather than check to the raiser. This is a board texture where a pfr may check behind us quite a bit with AK/AQ and we don't really want them to take a free card, while at the same time if they have a strong one pair hand it's hard for them to raise us as bloating the pot with their pair on such a coordinated board becomes pretty spewy.

At any rate the bet sizing doesn't say overpair to me, less than half the pot on a wet board tends to say "I'm following through because I feel like I have to, but I don't like it much". So I feel like we're ahead a fair bit right now.

If we make it with the 7h or Qh I would proceed as though we have the best hand, not worried about the flush here as there's very few combos of 2 hearts in his range and the c-bet is kind of small for a semi-bluff.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com