Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6-max zoom. Raise 44 utg, +1 min 3bet, call and I x/r 955r flop?

Old
10NL 6-max zoom. Raise 44 utg, +1 min 3bet, call and I x/r 955r flop? - Thu Mar 21, 2013, 01:38 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

No reads I raise 44 utg, just why +1 min re-raise? Ok so equal stacks I call to see a flop.

With 955r board I x/r does the villain actually have a 9 or 5?

Is this a bluff? I can't be folding out better, or for value worse may call? >>Totally confused at the moment<<.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey FF

I am confused too .

Why are you worried if the villain has a 5 or a 9? I would be much more worried about them having a better pocket pair than yours, specifically TT, JJ, QQ, KK, and AA.

Some people choose this three-bet size for unknown reasons. Sometimes its a hand they want to play and to have the initiative, but don't really know how to better go about it. This means their range could be wide, all sorts of hands. Sometimes they play this as a trap with a strong range, TT+ AQ+ or a very strong range QQ+ AK. Either way, calling preflop is definitely your best option. You are getting too good of a price to fold and four-betting is a likely disaster.

On this flop I don't mind your play if you are trying to take it away. You are certainly bluffing in the sense that you don't expect to ever show down the best hand after making this play, you are looking to get folds. It doesn't really matter than you have a better hand right now than AK -- AK has position, the initiative, and good equity, with lots of streets to go. I'd rather have AK than 44 on this board. But it looks like you took it away successfully from some overcards. Not a play I'd make often.

Old
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
(#3)
Hi Gareth,

I can't say "I was betting for information or to find out where I am". No that's worse than not having auto top up set - like it's a criminal offence.

Saying what better hand will fold (bluff) or worse will call (value) is ok. All I see is better than 44+ so 55 is happy on that board or any bigger pair. And worse to call 33 or 22 no.

Not quite at the level to understand AK vs small pocket pairs is ok on that board.

Anyway now I just love to x/r bluff >>low pairs<<. Not a play to make often?

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 04:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Forrest, you know what ... sometimes you're LAGgier moves don't look all that different from the stuff we see in live training! Like maybe you're moves (which I've been saying look good to me ), aren't all bad, they just need some adjustments to make them more EV?

Here's a somewhat similar spot from Live Training, where Gareth made a reraise on a paired board (Preflop Aggression, Dec. 20, 2012, @45:14)

Something similar with your hand, is that the villain might have been a less experienced player as well, since he wasn't playing with a full stack? And his post-flop raise was the same size as his pre-flop one.

A difference is that you were out of position, rather than in position.

And - this is the part I found really interesting - is that the 8s 7s had 2 backdoor draws, and if the villain made that tiny cbet and called the reraise with a hand like AK, then the 8 and 7 had outs as well. Like there were equity considerations, as well as a plan for what turn cards to double-barrel?

I really like the idea of making sure we win with the best hand, but maybe there's stuff we can do too to minimize the risks for those times when the villain decides to call the reraise, and we wind up having to continue on the turn?

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 02:22 PM
(#5)
Hi Sam,

Yes when in position I raise the villain's c-bet and oop check/raise. Rarely am I doing this as a bluff though normally for value.

Gareth's hand does have back doors with straightening flush cards and I'm doing it on paired boards. With 44 on 955r and in the 2nd example 22 on 997r flops. So I could fill up to avoid total disaster.

Nice point you made about minimizing risks. Here if I was using tracker software a villain with a high c-bet % would be a better target to bluff. Greater caution needed if it appears they only c-bet when connecting with the flop.

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 02:42 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestFive View Post
Hi Sam,

Yes when in position I raise the villain's c-bet and oop check/raise. Rarely am I doing this as a bluff though normally for value.

Gareth's hand does have back doors with straightening flush cards and I'm doing it on paired boards. With 44 on 955r and in the 2nd example 22 on 997r flops. So I could fill up to avoid total disaster.

Nice point you made about minimizing risks. Here if I was using tracker software a villain with a high c-bet % would be a better target to bluff. Greater caution needed if it appears they only c-bet when connecting with the flop.

Oh - that's a great point Forrest! I guess even without tracking software, there's always those other cues we can rely on too, like the second hand where you were in the bb, vs the button, and the villain made that small c-bet?

I've got a lil addiction to playing middling to low pocket pairs out of position against 3-bettors myself - am trying to kick it though, because once people have invested a lot of chips in the pot, they don't always like to let go so easily ... at least in the blinds - yikes :/

Are you going to class tomorrow? Will see you there if so!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com