Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Thu Mar 21, 2013, 09:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
New amateur to Poker and would like to start playing more seriously with the bankroll builder promotion!

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgindor View Post
New amateur to Poker and would like to start playing more seriously with the bankroll builder promotion!
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:43 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Corgindor,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old
3 Tasks Completed - Sat Mar 23, 2013, 01:52 PM
(#4)
Here is hand history from one of my games:

He was bullying the entire table and I felt this was a hard bluff and I had a decent hand. Maybe I should have waited a bit longer for a better hand? Oddly I was very close to winning despite his initial pair of fives. Full House > Flush

I have watched the video, posted my hand history, and completed the poker basics course and passed the quiz. Next task please!

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 12:24 AM
(#5)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Corgindor!

With J9 from UTG, I'm going to open-fold this. It's not a strong enough hand to be playing from early position. If I was in late position and it had folded to me, then I would make a standard opening raise (3BB+1BB for each limper). When playing from early position, I only want to be playing premium hands due to the number of players that will have positon on me (which is a huge disadvantage for me).
When the opp shoves preflop, J9 is definitely not a strong enough hand to call a shove with. Even if the opp is shoving every single hand, I'm only in a coin flip. If the opp has a realistic hand, I'm crushed here.

The key here is to only play premium hands from out of position and to muck anything marginal and wait for a better hand or when I'm in position.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
(#7)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:41 PM
(#8)
Here's my hand. It was actually my first hand of the game, which is sad but what are the odds he had a 7! I couldn't let him bluff me off the money I put in.

It's unfortunate I guess, but he played it very odd.

Here are the answers to the question on big bets:

One may want to make a big bet to 1)bluff people off decent hands 2)gain value from very strong hands and 3)to protect against possible strong draws (make them pay to see the turn/river).

I've also completed the cash game course and passed the quiz!

Last edited by Corgindor; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Corgindor! I'll take a look at this hand for you. It's an interesting one you can learn a valuable lesson from.

You have KK in the cutoff and make a raise to 8c. I'd usually go with the standard 3bb (6c), as observant villains may note that you only use a 4bb open with monster hands.
You're called by the small blind. Without reads, it's hard to narrow his range much, but it should include all pocket pairs, suited Broadways and suited connectors.
The flop is T77, which is fairly dry, but connects with various hands a player in the blinds might call with. A hand like 98 has an open-ended straight draw, and hands like QT, JT have top pair. There's a small chance villain has trips with 87s or A7s, but you can definitely bet this flop for value, expecting to be called by worse. Often, however, villain will fold on the flop, because he'll have missed it entirely. Your continuation bet size is about right. You should get called by Tx, a few pocket pairs, 98s etc.
Villain check-calls and the turn is a blank looking 4. This doesn't complete any draws, but it puts a flush draw out there. Here you bet 8c, which is way too small. You should always bet at least half pot on the flop or turn, to prevent you being bluffed off your hand. (A small bet looks weak, so is more likely to induce a bluff, which then puts you in a difficult spot). If villain has Tx or a draw, you want to get more value with your better hand. You also want to charge villain for calling with Ax hands that might make a loose call.
Villain raises your turn bet to 24c. At this point you have to reconsider the strength of your hand. There's a poker theorem called "Baluga theorem" which states: "If you get raised on the turn, reevaluate the strength of your one pair hand". KK is an overpair, but it's still just one pair. We have to look at the board, work out what sort of hands would be raising here, and seriously think about folding. If villain has a 7 in his hand, he's played it well. Slowplaying the flop and raising the turn is a great way to get some money from you. Villain might also have called on the flop with 44, expecting you to give up on the turn. 44 just turned a boat. It's unlikely, but possible that villain just has a ten, which you beat. If he's an aggressive player, he might raise here with a flush draw. He could even have AcTc for the TPTK+FD combo. You're beating that, but will have to dodge multiple outs on the river.
I think you can call here, but if the villain leads out for a big bet on the river, you'll have to fold, because he won't be bluffing very often.
On the river, a 6 hits the board. That completes a straight for 98, meaning the only hands you're really beating are missed flush draws and top pair hands like AT/KT/QT/JT. Villain doesn't just bet here. He goes all in, with an overbet (larger than the pot). I'm folding here 99% of the time. Villain has you beat, either with trip 7s, a full house or a straight.
It's become a cliché, but all in shoves on the river at 2NL are hardly ever bluffs. Villain will show you a hand that's close to the nuts every time.
Villain's line might have seemed strange to you, but it was actually perfectly standard. Out of position with his monster hand, he checked to the pre-flop raiser on the flop, then checked again on the turn, expecting you to bet again. Then he made his raise, hoping you'd call to make a big pot on the river, where he could go all in for fat value.
Every beginner (and quite a lot of veterans) make this mistake. They "get married" to overpairs. Don't overvalue your hand. It's only one pair. A check-raise on the turn sends you a message. It says "I can beat top pair". If you just have one pair, you wouldn't be making a huge mistake if you folded one pair every time you got raised post-flop. Here was a classic Baluga spot. Next time you get raised on the turn holding one pair, be more inclined to fold. Don't pay someone off when they are making it obvious they have you beat. Villains aren't bluffing often at 2NL. A big raise typically means a big hand. One pair is not a big hand, so you should fold it.

Hope this helps. A moderator will be along shortly to tell you how to proceed with this promotion.
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:10 PM
(#10)
Hi Corgindor,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com