Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6 Max TP vs Maniac River Line

Old
10NL 6 Max TP vs Maniac River Line - Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Villain's 89/44 over 9 hands. Not much postflop stats due to tiny sample size.
However, once he sat down he's been maniacal. Observed him PFR 25bb, open shove 78bb.
PFR 14bb w 44, flop set didn't cbet, but check-call. Then checked turn n river OOP despite rivering boat. Could argue that he's passive postflop, but I take it as he was trapping because he had the absolute nuts.

OTR, what line should we have taken against this maniac?

1) Bet-call
Betting's the most direct line for max value. Have to see the amount he raises before calling.
2) Bet-fold
Could be raising with 88 or 2 pairs A8o here. And we may not be getting right price to split pot.
3) Check-call
Let him have a chance to bluff but we miss value. He could also bet his Aces and we go for the split pot.
4) Check-raise
Value-owning ourselves?
5) Check-fold

I checked partially because I don't want to get bluffed off the best hand if he overvalues his Ace, and raises us. Any non-Ace pair probably not call the 3rd barrel as it looks so strong, I feel they'll only giving us 2 streets of value. So we're allowing him to spazz with worse here.

But by checking, we're left guessing especially this hand. As played he bets pot, there's "not much left", so should we call, raise or fold??

Should we be committed at any street due to Villain's maniacal tendencies? Though it's a tiny sample size. Thanks!

Last edited by TheAwesomeNW; Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM..

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
I would've pushed the river imho, consider how many dominated aces he's got. I get paid everyday by A5+ on those boards that worth the risk I think against this type of villains.

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi TANW,

I like your play here, and I think check-calling the river in this situation is optimal.

First off you're worried about him overvaluing his ace... actually I think we are ecstatic to have a villain like this who will overvalue aces when we have AQ, not worried. And yes, I would be willing to commit against a villain such as this post flop with our hand strength.

Anyway back to the river check-call... what I don't see here is the range you've assigned the villain. Obviously based on what we've seen we would expect him to limp-call pre super wide. The one thing I am not figuring we'll see very often is an ace however. I suspect this guy would find a raise somewhere between his very first action in the hand and the river if he held an ace. So while it's not impossible, I find it unlikely. His range here should consist mostly of made hands that are weak (8x, pocket pairs) an occasional slow played turn with 3x, and flopped draws, all of which have busted. Not just clubs, but the circumstantial evidence suggests he might even be in there with gut shot wheel draws, 54, 52s, 42s at least.

In other words, we have an opponent who has in only 9 hands demonstrated the ability on 2 occasions to make wildly aggressive overbets, with a range of hands that rates to be very weak including many busted draws. Seems ripe for a check-call on the river here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:56 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind_V_Gap View Post
I would've pushed the river imho, consider how many dominated aces he's got. I get paid everyday by A5+ on those boards that worth the risk I think against this type of villains.
I agree on shoving for value against dominated aces against wild loose opponents, however he needs to have a lot of dominated aces in his range for this to be the best plan of action. I just don't think he does. Additionally, in this case specifically we can't get value from dominated aces anyway. The river card took that opportunity away.

Plus even if we could, we'd have a bit of an insurance policy against losing value to the few aces in his range when we check to induce bluffs, in that he may not be smart enough to check them behind which gives us the best of both worlds when true... we get bluffs from his busts and still get value from the worse aces.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 12:05 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks for the analysis! Glad that check-calling was the right move to extract max value despite the pot bet. But he's maniacal afterall. Indeed he had a wide range limp-calling PFR and 2 bets. I flat his bet, and he showed 4h2h

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 01:57 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
he showed 4h2h
lololllol!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com