Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL5 QJ oop action line

Old
NL5 QJ oop action line - Fri Mar 22, 2013, 06:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
Hello, I played this hand against a 30/14 ag 1,8 fcbet 76 wtsd 22.

By the river I wasnt sure to bet so I planned a half pot bet ready to fold to a push.
I was thinking should I overbet all in at the river? Or should I have just check folded? I dont like playing hands oop for this reason, too many tought decisions.

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 06:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Mind

I think you made a mistake on the turn. I would check this turn had I bet the flop. Why? Because I am worried about being called by worse and creating issues by the river.

We have a medium strength hand on this board, certainly not one worth three streets of value. So betting all three streets is a mistake. The question is, which two should we pick? I don't mind it being flop and river or turn and river. The reason is in both cases we can check-call the street we decide to check.

What is so hard about playing this hand? You have top pair and an open ender. On any street you check your opponent can't blow you off your hand so easily and you will either have the best hand or outs to improve if you are behind.

Think about the range you are trying to get called by on the turn. It is JJ, JT, AT, J9. It is not that big a range. That suggests you shouldn't bet and go for it on the river. Or even check the flop.

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:51 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
So you're basically suggesting to take a passive line here, I did bet for protection, but i think what would i be afraid of? any other upcoming card may only help me completing my draw. would you call 3 bets here? or call only 1 or maybe 2 and folding the river?

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 09:15 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Gareth's saying that it's hard to get called by worse if you bet all three streets. When a hand like QJ makes one pair, you'll typically win a small pot, or lose a big one. Firing 3 streets here folds out all the worse hands and leaves you feeling committed to calling a river shove, when you only have a marginal one pair hand. If you bet the flop, then check the turn, you won't be committed, and worse hands will still be in the pot on the river. In my experience, the bet-check-bet line (which looks fishy) can mean you get looked up very light, which is perfect if all you have is one pair with a medium kicker.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 07:41 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
ok I understand thank you very much guys

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com