Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Building - Promotion

Old
Bankroll Building - Promotion - Sat Mar 23, 2013, 01:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012
BronzeStar
Hello there!

I would like to participate in the Bankroll Promotion. I am tired of playing Playmnoney, because I think Playing small stakes would improve my game a lot. I have never deposited in Pokerstars, however through a lot of luck i won a Ticket for the Weekly Round 2.

Greetings,
Jonas

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 07:30 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 05:18 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2p22 View Post
Hello there!

I would like to participate in the Bankroll Promotion. I am tired of playing Playmnoney, because I think Playing small stakes would improve my game a lot. I have never deposited in Pokerstars, however through a lot of luck i won a Ticket for the Weekly Round 2.

Greetings,
Jonas
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Hi!

I have watched the videos you have shown me, passed to basic quiz and played some Playmoney Hands at the blinds 1/2.

This I find an interesting Hand:

Preflop I just raised 4x BB, because of the limper.

Postflop everyone in front of me seemed really weak, so I asked them if they have the Ass, by betting 75% of the Pot. Villain 7 responded he has the Ass (or maybe a flush draw). Because Villain responded that he has the Ass, I did not bet on the turn. Maybe I should have betted again to get rid of a possible flush draw, since he checked on the river, but I thought he might be (for some reason) slowplaying an Ass pair.

On the River his possible Flush draw was not completed and I bet pot size to get rid of villain 7, since he might have a Jack pair with a higher kicker. Should I have value bet here?

Last edited by d2p22; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:32 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 03:32 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi d2p22!

With JTs from the cutoff and a limp in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 8.

I flop 2nd pair and when it gets back to me, I'm going to make a pot-sized c-bet here of 40. I want to bet this much, as I want to give as many opps with spades a negative play to try to draw to beat me.

I get one caller and see a blank turn card in position. When the opp checks to me, I'm going to check behind here for pot control, as I could easily be behind an ace.

The river is another blank and when the opp checks to me, I should have the best hand here (if the opp had an ace, they should be betting). I will make my standard value bet for a HU pot of 1/2 the size of the pot (48 chips). I want to size it at this amount, as I do not want to fold out all of the hands that I beat and only keep in only the hands that beat me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 04:21 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Thank you, JWK24!

One question, isn't a e.g. 75% of Pot size bet an allready EV- play for a Flush Draw player? Is It also less risky against an Opponent who has an Ass pair postflop?

Jonas

Edit: This might not be the right place for a discussion.

Last edited by d2p22; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Jonas!

That kind of ? is welcomed.

It would be if only 1 opp calls, but I want to bet enough that if ALL of the opps call, it's a -EV play for all of them.

if there are no combination draws out there. 1/2 pot prices out 1 opp, 2/3 pot prices out 2 opps, 3/4 prices out 3 opps, pot prices out 4 opps and if more than 4, it's impossible to price everyone out.

if there IS a combo draw, then 2/3 is needed for 1 opp, 3/4 for 2, pot for 3, more than 3 it's impossible to price them all out.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I have really underestimated the change in the Pot Odds when there are mulitple Players involved in a Pot!

Thank you

Old
Mon Mar 25, 2013, 01:47 PM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have really underestimated the change in the Pot Odds when there are mulitple Players involved in a Pot!

Thank you
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:53 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Hi!

So far I got lucky enough to double up the Bonus. I passed the Cashgame Quiz and watched the Video. 3 reasons to make a big bet are to put pressure on an opponent, to protect froms Draws and to get a lot of value from a hand. At the stakes I am playing right now, bluffing is no option.

There is one Hand though, which I am really not sure about wether I was too agressive or if I should have been more agressive.

Villain both Limpers have limped very loose, but always played pretty passive postflop. If they had something like top pair, they mostly minraised.

I was really afraid of a flush there, espacially after the 3. Heart. I tried to get him of the Hand if he has something like one Heart. Should I have been more agressiv (bigger bet, bigger reraise) on the flop to get him away sooner?

I am sure the big Bet on the turn was right. I really did want to let him call a smaller bet and get rivered with another heart, slowplaying I find too dangerous with only beeing bankrolled with 2 Buyins

I am Hero:

These two people in this Hand became really provitable later on.
Jonas

Last edited by d2p22; Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:43 PM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
These two people in this Hand became really provitable later on.
Jonas
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:15 PM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi d2p22! I'll take a look at this hand for you.

With T6 in the big blind, you have a junk hand, but can check your option and see a free flop as there are just two limpers.
It's a "big blind special", as your garbage hand flops a straight. It's not the nuts, because JT has you crushed, but I definitely want to build a pot and probably stack off against these weak players.
You bet the pot on the flop, which is great. You need to protect against flush draws, and can also get value from one- or two-pair hands.
Villain minraises. Your read was that he does this with one pair. I definitely think re-raising is a good idea, but I'd make it 3x the bet to about 35c, to charge him extra if he wants to call with a pair (probably drawing dead) or a flush draw (which has good equity against our hand).
Villain calls the min 3-bet and the turn is the Qh. This is a scary card, because it completes the flush. If villain was on the straight draw, he whiffed (JT made a better straight, but already had the nuts on the flop).
If villain has just a pair of 9s (as per your read), he's probably not calling a big bet here, especially if he has no heart draw. I'd prefer a slightly smaller bet. Something like 30c into 42c should get reluctant calls from one/two pairs and medium flush draws, and it also allows you to get away from your hand if villain makes a big raise, as he'd usually only do that with a made flush. By potting it, it's much harder to get called by worse. In effect, you'd only get action from hands that either have a great chance to beat you, or have you drawing dead. If villain calls this big bet, you're gonna be in a horrible spot on the river, asking "Did he slowplay a made flush, or did he call with the bare Ah?"

On the whole, you played this hand fine and your reads and thought process are solid. Just try and be more careful with bet-sizes when you have assigned a range to a villain. If you think he's very weak, go for smaller bets, hoping for calls. If you think he's likely to call with any draw, then go for a larger bet. Remember that the flush draw won't hit the river about 80% of the time (and you can easily fold when it does) so you WANT to get calls on the 4 out of 5 times it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 06:35 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I passed the Cashgame Quiz and watched the Video.
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:08 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Hi!

First everything went really great, I won a few pots against pretty loose players, I was up about 7.50$. But this has changed. Over the last 400 Hands I have lost a lot. My Bankroll is now at about 3.50$.

Looking back at this hand I really HATE my decisions.

Preflop was ok I guess, although I had a bad position.
On the Flop I made a continuation bet hoping he fold, at least I had two overcards. Well he called.
On the turn I should have just check folded with the straight and flush draw and me having absolutely nothing.
On the river I finally did fold but having lost a LOT more.

How can I avoid these situations? Betting more aggressive? Less aggressive? Folding right away after my opp calls my conti bet postflop?

On another Hand someone with around 1.50% went preflop all in, right after having lost around 1$. I put him on a tilt and call, he has pocket pair Aces.

Thanks,
Jonas

Last edited by d2p22; Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 06:53 PM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 07:06 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again Jonas! I'll take a look at the AQ hand.

This is indeed a tricky hand to play out of position, but it's way ahead of most of the hands villain limp with, so a raise is called for. 6bb (3bb + 3 limps) is perfect. You should be happy if you only get one call, or if everyone folds. The button calls and you see a ragged flop of 852r (r for rainbow, no flush draw). This is a pretty good flop to c-bet, because Broadways completely missed, while you can represent an overpair. If you get called, villain's most likely holding is actually a pocket pair that either made a set of trips, or isn't scared by this flop, as he'll typically put you on a hand like AK.
The turn card brings you 4 additional outs to a straight draw, but betting on this blank-looking card isn't going to scare off anything that called on the flop, so I recommend checking and folding. At 2NL, it's perfectly fine to give up on the turn if your c-bet got called and you didn't improve to a pair or strong draw. Save your bets for when you're more likely to have the best hand and can get some value for it.
You made a solid check-fold on the river, but you could have saved some money by giving up earlier. In poker, money saved is just as good as money earned.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 08:27 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Hi!

Really thank you for this review!

My 3rd Bonus just got released, probably because of 10 VPPs. My Bankroll is not really that great at the moment with just about 6.70$, at least I have lost nothing of the bonus yet.

I am tightening up, unless I am at a table with 2 really tight multitablers behind me, there I try to steal a lot until they do something against that.

Jonas

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 08:28 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Ok this is kind of strange.

My 4th Bonus just go released. I allready found it strange, that my 3rd Bonus allread got released, but maybe I just calculated it wrong.

I had around 9VPP AFTER receiving 2nd Bonus.
I now have 16.29VPP earned and have allready received 4th Bonus.

I don't know how this adds up?

Thank you anyway
Jonas

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:50 PM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com