Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder.. count me in

Old
Bankroll builder.. count me in - Sat Mar 23, 2013, 09:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi.. please count me in to the BB promotion. Thanks

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 04:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite99 View Post
Hi.. please count me in to the BB promotion. Thanks
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll buiider session feedback. - Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:17 AM
(#3)

Should I have seen the three nines coming?

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 08:45 AM
(#4)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:19 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi trilobite99!

With Q 10s from the SB, there are 3 limps in front of me. I'll complete and see the flop here.

The flop gives me an open-ended straight draw and I'm going to lead out to try to get some of the opps to fold, and to see where I'm at in the hand. Due to having so many opps, I'm going to make a pot-sized value bet here of 50. I want to keep my bets standard, as betting less can very easily be a tell for a draw and have an opp with Jx raise me. I size my bets based on the size of the BB preflop and based on the size of the pot post-flop.

The turn misses me and I'm going to check and hope that the table is passive enough that I can see a free river card (since nobody has raised in the hand yet).

I hit top two pair on the river and I'm going to make a 1/2 pot value-bet here (50). I want to size my bet so that I can get value for my cards by keeping worse hands in, but it also gives me room to fold to a large raise. There are then two raises. If there had only been one, I could be ahead here, but with two raises, someone probably has a Q and a better kicker, so I'm going to muck.

While someone having a 9 is possible, the opp that had it really lost out on a good deal of value in this hand. If I had the 9, I'd have definitely made a pot-sized bet on the turn and another value bet on the river (at least 1/2 pot and more if someone had led into me). With a min bet on the flop, I could very easily have raised the flop with it too.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:15 PM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

Let me know as soon as you have passed it.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Poker Basic Passed - Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:29 AM
(#7)
Hi Raiser

Passed the course yesterday.

Thanks for checking up on me

Trilobite

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 05:43 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Passed the course yesterday.
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Played NL ring 1/2 all in on hand and lost to a full house against 3 Queens. - Fri Apr 05, 2013, 12:31 AM
(#9)

Now I only have 40 cents left so need to work on my other tasks

Last edited by trilobite99; Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: posted wrong hand

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 05:11 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 01:31 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi trilobite99! This looks like a brutal hand. I'll see if I can give you some advice to improve your play.

Here, you're in UTG+1 with AQ, facing an open raise by UTG. Believe it or not, the correct play for you here is to FOLD. AQ is a strong hand, but it's not one that I'm often calling pre-flop with, especially when the raise comes from UTG and it's for 4bb. If I was in later position and villain was in middle/late position or was a loose player, then I'd often be re-raising, but here, villain's range is super-strong, consisting of TT+ and AK. All those hands are currently beating you. Even if you make a pair on the flop, you're often dominated by a set or TPTK.
As played, you call and the button also calls. The flop is QJ4, and that probably looks very good for you, but against villain's range, you're nearly always losing. The only hands of his that you beat are AK and TT. Everything else in his range has a set (QQ/JJ) or an overpair (KK/AA).
Villain makes a standard continuation bet, which he would usually do with all the hands he raised pre-flop. Since you're only beating a couple of hands, but are crushed by others, but don't want to fold here, by far the best play is to just call. Think about what raising does. If villain has TT or AK, he will usually fold. You don't get any value for your hand when villain folds his junk. Raising also re-opens the betting, allowing villain to either call and slowplay the hands that are beating you, or to re-raise and get it all in with his monsters.
Villain calls your raise, and then donks the turn. This a show of strength. He wants action. Notice that the ten on the turn means that AK just made a straight, and TT just made a set. At this point, there is not a single hand in villain's range (TT+ AK) that doesn't have you beat. Villain is taking you to valuetown.
The river is really brutal for you, because now you have top trips with an ace kicker. That's a really hard hand to get away from.
Villain puts you in, and it seems like a good price, because the pot is so big, but you're only beating AA and KK. For villain to bet all 3 streets here, he usually has a straight or full house. I suppose he might get it in with KK or AA, but I think those hands are unlikely, as I think he would have tried to get all in on the flop, instead of just calling your raise.

So it was a brutal hand. Hopefully you learned a few things here.
To re-iterate:
* If UTG makes a raise in full ring game, the best play with AQ is to fold for no loss. (You ran into a situation which rather proves the point. You were crushed by villain at every stage of the hand).
* When you make TPTK and a villain bets into you, the best play is to just call, because raising will make worse hands fold, and better hands call or re-raise. When you have the best hand, you should want worse hands to stay in the pot. You don't want them to fold.
* Keep an eye on the board texture and think about not just your own hand, but also the likely holdings for villain. If he can have much stronger holdings (based on his position and betting actions), then be very careful. Trips is a good hand, but it is crushed by full houses, flushes and straights.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 01:39 PM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Please let me know as soon as you pass the Cash Game course

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Having trouble accessing the cash quiz today - Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:33 AM
(#13)
Got in to the test and passed with 88!!

Last edited by trilobite99; Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: Status Update

Old
15 minute tournaments - Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:59 AM
(#14)
Is it worthwhile to play the 15 minute tournaments with PM for the experience?

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 05:01 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Got in to the test and passed with 88!!
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com