Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder promotion

Old
Bankroll builder promotion - Sun Mar 24, 2013, 07:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hi! I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion, thanks!

Old
Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampoker.has View Post
Hi! I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion, thanks!
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bank roll builder - Mon Mar 25, 2013, 08:57 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
hi thanks for the reply!

I've watch the first two vids. And I'm quite interested to see your opinion on this hand i played. I had a pair and a straight draw. Not sure how I else I could of played this, but I reckon I should of folded at the re-raise preflop? whats your thought thanks!

Old
Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:43 PM
(#4)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi iampoker.has!

With 55 from the cutoff, I'm going to make a standard opening raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With one limper, I will raise to 4BB or 40 chips.
I then have a min-raise and a call of it (after 2 other opps called my raise). Since the stacks are deep enough to try to setmine with 55 here (I want both the opps and me to have 15BB in our stacks), I'm going to call the extra 30 chips.

The flop brings 3 overcards and there is a 3/4 pot bet that is called by another opp. Here is where I need to fold my 55. Any of the opps could easily have paired the board (or have a higher pocket pair) and the only draws that I have are 2 outs to a five and a backdoor straight draw that will not give me the nuts.
Since I want to be putting my chips into the pot when I'm ahead or if I get the correct odds to draw to a winning hand (which I don't have here), I need to save my chips for a better situation.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Hi there!

I have done all three steps and have passed the poker basics course!

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 07:19 AM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi there!
I have done all three steps and have passed the poker basics course!
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 09:40 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Im still steaming about this hand. It almost seems ive been set up how unlucky it was:

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:04 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi iampoker.has! I'll take a look at this hand for you.

With 66 in EP, I'd usually fold first into the pot (small pairs play better in late position), but here there is a raiser UTG, so calling to go set-mining is fine. We might even encourage a couple of other players to come into the pot, making our implied odds even better.
So the call is fine. Being UTG, villain should have a very strong range of hands like TT+ and AK. If he hits TPTK or has an overpair, you should be able to win his stack if you flop a set.
The flop comes K96tt, so you have bottom set. While flatting can be fine, my standard play is to raise on the flop, especially as it has a flush draw and a straight draw. You don't want villain sucking out a flush or straight cheaply. Protect your set with a value-raise, expecting to get called by worse. You want to try and get stacks in. You do that by raising at the earliest opportunity, allowing you to get all 100bb in the middle on subsequent streets without overbetting the pot.
If villain has KK, you're going broke, but the hands we're really targetting here are AK and AA.
When you flat-call, villain gets to see another card. The Q is a little scary for you, because QQ just got there cheaply. Villain is still going to bet with AK/AA though, so you definitely want to raise here. Your sizing is fine. Villain shoves and you call. He shows QQ and you vomit.

This hand is a bit of a cooler really. If you'd raised the flop, QQ doesn't even see the turn (so you'd only win a small pot) but trapping by flatting the flop was OK, as villain only had 2 outs. If we put villain on a range of TT+ and AK, then when this turn card hits, you usually have about 78% equity.
When he shoves, it drops a little because his range shrinks to QQ+ and AK, but you're still way ahead of AK and AA and will win 74% of the time.

Better luck in the next stage of this promotion!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 06:39 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Please study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Let me know as soon as you have passed it

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 08:04 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Answering the question to the bet sizing video:

1) to bluff people of hands
2) to add value onto your potentially winning hand
3) to protect hand against draws against crushing draws

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 08:16 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Hi again! I have studied and passed the cash game course! thanks

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 08:24 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi again! I have studied and passed the cash game course! thanks
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 05:30 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
I was doing so well the the bonus money and when i thought i had the nuts I insta called. To be honest I saw the flush but I ignored it because I knew my opponent has the ace but not the flush as well here is the hand:

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 05:33 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 05:35 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
this is where is lost the rest of my chips:

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 07:04 PM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi iampoker.has! I'll take a look at these two hands and see if we can find ways to improve your play.

1. You have 96 offsuit in the small blind, and there's a raise UTG and 2 calls. It might surprise you to hear this, but you should be folding your hand 100% of the time. There are three main reasons why I recommend folding:
* Your hand is junk. 96 almost never makes strong hands. It makes weak one pair hands, and only makes the nut straight when the board comes precisely 875.
* The UTG player will usually have a very strong starting hand (TT+, AK, AQs), and will usually be betting strongly post-flop (with an overpair for example), so you won't have good odds to chase a draw.
* You will be out of position (first to act) for the entire hand. This is neither fun or profitable.

As played, you call and you get a pretty good flop. On 873, you have an open-ended straight draw, so any T or 5 (8 outs) will give you a straight. Surprisingly the flop is checked around, so you get a free card. The ace isn't so great, and when villain bets here, he usually has AK/AQ or AA. Villain bets 15c into 26c, giving you a reasonable price to see if you can make the straight. Be aware, however, that not all your outs are "clean". Some of them will also make a flush possible, so if villain has AcKc or AcQc, you could lose your stack.
You call and the 10c hits the river. You made the nut straight, but this card also completes the flush. I definitely like leading out here, because villain will find it hard to fold TPTK or a set of aces, but I think your bet size is way too big.
The pot is 54c and you make an overbet of 74c. The problem with this bet size is that it's hard for it to get called by worse. If I was in villain's shoes and had top set aces, I'm folding, because it looks like you have the flush. What you should actually do is bet about half pot, so worse hands can call and give your hand the value it deserves. You should also be in "bet-fold" mode, meaning that you can bet with your straight, but fold to a raise, because that would mean villain had a flush.
Villain actually has the nuts here, so he makes a value shove. He probably puts you on a worse flush and he expects you to call. You actually have just a straight, and make the call to lose a huge pot.

You made a big mistake on the river, perhaps only thinking of your own hand, and not considering what villain could have. A little secret I'll tell you here: "River shoves are always the nuts". This villain is never going crazy with worse than your hand. If he had a set or a straight, or even a weak flush, he's just calling (or even folding). His raise is for pure value.
The whole problem could have been avoided much earlier, of course. If you'd made a disciplined fold pre-flop, you wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. Since 96o hardly ever makes the nuts, it's really best to just muck it at the first opportunity. A small 6c mistake pre-flop can quickly turn into a big $5 mistake on the river.

2. J4s is another junk hand. Sure, it can make a flush, but a jack-high flush still loses to a queen-, king- or ace-high flush. When you make top pair with J4, you have no kicker. You should never be calling a pre-flop raise with this hand. It just doesn't make money.
Not only do you call 6c here, but when there's a big re-raise (3-bet), you call that too. Your hand is in simply terrible shape against a typical 3-betting range of QQ+ and AK.
You see a flop of KJT and since you have such a small stack remaining, it's standard to call off the rest with one pair, but every single hand in villain's 3-bet range is beating you here. AA is an overpair, KK has top set, JJ has middle set, TT has bottom set, QQ is beating your pair and has an OESD to go with it, AK has TPTK. If villain also 3-bets AQ, he has the nut straight. Brutal.

I definitely recommend you become more disciplined with your starting hand selection. Try to only play big cards and pocket pairs. They are a lot easier to play, since they make top pair, sets, or have draws to the nuts. Hands like 96 and J4 are just garbage. No one makes money with those hands, so just fold them at the first opportunity. When you're in the blinds, your hands should be stronger still. I'd recommend you fold 85-90% of the hands you get dealt in the blinds, as it's very hard to make money from these positions.

Hope this helps. Better luck on the next stage of the promo!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Fri Apr 05, 2013 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: typos

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 07:16 PM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
this is where is lost the rest of my chips:

Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you will receive your 3rd bonus later today!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your 3rd buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your 4th Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

If you should lose your 3rd buy-in at the tables do not despair, simply post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread using the hand replayer. Once you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step but hopefully this won't happen to you.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 09:33 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
i put him on queens or even kings, steaming:

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com