Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL - deep stack spot with TPTK in 3bet pot

Old
5NL - deep stack spot with TPTK in 3bet pot - Sun Mar 24, 2013, 09:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi PSO-ers,

What turn line would you consider in this spot?

Villain is 31/22/1 (376 Hands)
EP PFR 32% (57 Hands)
Fold to 3Bet 75% (16 Hands)
Fold to Cbet IP 36% (11 Hands)
Raise Cbet 9% (11 Hands)

Do you like my 3bet? Sizing okay or maybe should be slightly larger?

What sort of hands do you think he will call us with pre-flop and min raise turn?

Old
Mon Mar 25, 2013, 10:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi geo,

I think it's ok to not 3b pre in this spot. Ask yourself why are you 3-betting? What's your goal in taking this action? When we have AK part of that goal should be value, but I don't see how we are getting any here. This villain knows how to fold to a 3b, and your action after 2 players flat his raise shows a ton of strength, so I suspect he is only going to continue with the strongest parts of his range which puts us in really bad post flop situations in a bloated pot out of position. It may be better to keep the preflop pot small by calling, and keep all his dominated aces and kings in play. 3-betting does have the possible advantage of folding everyone out and taking down .50c immediately, and that has some value, but I suspect it's out weighed by the big pots we lose playing out of position vs. a strong range or getting stacks in preflop bad.

As played I would consider checking the flop. Seems like you're not ranging him here, at least you didn't state any range. What worse hands are going to call our c-bet given the preflop action? We are praying he has AQs basically, as I suspect worse folds pre. And the big pairs that didn't make a set will fold here as well. I think our best chance to maximize value is to create some doubt about us not liking the ace out there seeing as we just got lucky against a fair bit of his range but those hands won't be likely to continue to a c-bet now.

When he raises the flop I think our only real option is to call. His value range is crushing us (we are tied or beat by most of it, as I think he would only call with AQs not raise us), but he might be testing to see if we don't like the ace since our preflop action will have a lot of big pairs in it. I'm not ready to fold just yet but if we reraise I can't see us ever getting called by worse.

Yes this puts us in an awkward position on the turn, but that takes me back to my first thoughts on this hand.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com