Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL zoom flopped set against aggro fish board turned bad

Old
5NL zoom flopped set against aggro fish board turned bad - Mon Mar 25, 2013, 06:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011

This guy was playing 77/44 over 9 hands
Opened 77 in the cutoff and got 3bet,
We were deep so figured I could call his 3bet OOP and flopped a set.
Check raised the flop figuring he might push but he called then a possible str8 came and I decided to check call.
River gave possible flush another str8 and he bet pretty big.
Board was 57TJA.

After this hand his stats were 80/50/AF 4.0
Against a pretty much unknown player is it better to fold and wait for a better spot?

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 03:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hey will,

Preflop is fine so deep. I would raise flop a lot bigger since I would strive to get more money in on the later streets with those stacksizes.

I think you made your life hard by checking turn. I would always continue valuebetting here against all his Overpair/Tx type hands. Not only may checking cost you value, oftentimes you also start to get into guessing game mode against unknown villains with calling down a made hand when boards run out like this. The river puts out a number of handcombos out there that beat you so it is really tough to decide if villain

a) plays enough worse hands preflop like this so he can actually show up with 2 pair combos here
b) peels light postflop and valuebets thinly so he can show up with hands like AK/AQ/AJ/AT type hands here
b) is capable of running a huge bluff/turning made hands into bluffs

These are factors I wouldn't want to take guesses at so I think going for a big bet OTT and shoving the river for value yourself is the way to go.

Live Trainer

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
Yeah got a bit mixed up on this one. Got carried away with trying to keep bluffs in his range. Fortunately for me he was capable of running a huge bluff. 34o he turned up with to my relief.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com