Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

busted straight flush draw

Old
Question
busted straight flush draw - Mon Mar 25, 2013, 09:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Not 100% sure i made the right play but could not do the math fast enough to be sure. I'm pretty sure i did the right thing though. i added the total pot size after each round of betting so its a little easier to see.

Seat 1: mariomaro ($1.31 in chips)
Seat 2: Hugodebrito ($6.15 in chips)
Seat 3: mmak3 ($3.07 in chips)
Seat 4: sergikys555 ($1.32 in chips)
Seat 5: prigonius ($1.92 in chips)
Seat 7: Draw Button ($0.77 in chips)
Seat 8: remixnats ($1.60 in chips)
Seat 9: Rock230 ($1.30 in chips)
sergikys555: posts small blind $0.01
prigonius: posts big blind $0.02
luensi: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Rock230 [9c 8c]
Draw Button: folds
remixnats: folds
Rock230: calls $0.02
mariomaro: folds
Hugodebrito: folds
mmak3: calls $0.02
sergikys555: calls $0.01
prigonius: checks
Total pot: $0.08
*** FLOP *** [7c 2h Jc]
sergikys555: checks
prigonius: checks
Rock230: bets $0.08
mmak3: calls $0.08
sergikys555: calls $0.08
prigonius: raises $0.20 to $0.28
Rock230: calls $0.20
mmak3: folds
sergikys555: calls $0.20
Total pot:$1
*** TURN *** [7c 2h Jc] [6h]
prigonius: bets $0.72
Rock230: calls $0.72
sergikys555: calls $0.72
*** RIVER *** [7c 2h Jc 6h] [4s]
prigonius: bets $0.90 and is all-in
Rock230 said, "straight flush draw no good?"
Rock230: folds
sergikys555: folds
Uncalled bet ($0.90) returned to prigonius
prigonius collected $3.05 from pot
prigonius: shows [2c 2d] (three of a kind, Deuces)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $3.16 | Rake $0.11
Board [7c 2h Jc 6h 4s]
Seat 1: mariomaro folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Hugodebrito folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: mmak3 (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: sergikys555 (small blind) folded on the River
Seat 5: prigonius (big blind) collected ($3.05)
Seat 7: Draw Button folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: remixnats folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Rock230 folded on the River

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Rock230

There are several issues to look at with this hand. Firstly, I would recommend folding preflop. Suited connectors work best from late postion when you can see a flop cheaply against multiple opponents. Furthermore, regardless of your cards, any time you are the first to enter a pot preflop, do so by raising. If you limp your speculative hands and raise your premium hands, you will be very exploitable for an observant opponent. You never want to adjust your preflop betsize with respect to your cards. This becomes an easy tell to pick up on.

As played you get to see the flop with 3 opponents. You have a flush draw for 9 outs plus any 10 will give you a straight which gives you another 3 outs. So, it looks like you have 12 outs which is good. However, you are not drawing to a nut flush. Your only good outs in this hand are the four 10s for a straight. If you hit a flush you will have showdown value, but your hand will not be strong enough to keep betting/raising. With so much interest in the hand, especially the passive sergisky guy, we need to be wary that we are drawing to the second best flush.

On the flop, I would suggest leading with a standard 50% pot bet, or simply check-calling. This will help keep the pot under control. By betting pot sized, you are building the pot without a made hand or a strong draw. You do not have an open ended straight draw and flush draw, and your flush draw is uncertain. When your 8 cent bet gets so much action you need to be careful. I would actually have folded to the raise. Yes, you have the odds to call it, but there is still one player left to act who might come over the top. Moreover, you can expect more betting on the turn. This is becoming an expensive and unclear spot.

I would definately recommend folding to the big turn bet. Even though the 6 gives you an open ended straight draw in addition to your flush draw, you do not have the odds to continue. You have 8 staight outs which are good and let's just assume your flush outs are good as well (which is very uncertain). You do not have the odds to continue with only the river remaining.

I hope this helps

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com