Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Zoom - Am I losing money doing this?

Old
2nl Zoom - Am I losing money doing this? - Tue Mar 26, 2013, 06:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Button was 14/9 over 44 hands. Tightish but not overly so.

The other villain was an unknown, only played one hand with him according to HUD, and he called that hand too. So very early to say but potential calling station.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I guess I am not even really looking for analysis on this one hand, but more board textures like this, where flush draws are possible. I can only be concerned by sets (Though I dont worry myself about that unless I get re-raised or shoved on) and the flush draw.

I bet almost pot on the flop to try and charge for the draw to a flush. This also has the result of folding out hands where they have nothing at all or are marginal.

My question is, am I costing myself money by doing this, should I be betting smaller to try and keep both hands in. And maybe betting bigger of the turn? Maybe I allow them to improve a little while stilling holding the best hand.

I guess I just get too scared of being drawn out on.

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi bhoylegend

I would have bet the flop just as you did. Yes, you have AA, but it is "just a pair". I wouldn't consider slowplaying, especially at 2nl with less than a set. Also, you are facing two opponents in this hand. Moreover, the board is offering enough draws that I would want to bet 70% of the pot to ensure that anyone drawing was getting poor odds. You will get paid often enough at 2nl to make standard value betting of your stong hands profitable. No need to get tricky. I would have bet about 13 cents rather than 15 cents, but I think you are fine here. Anyone with a top pair type of hand will continue.

Now, I have a question for you.

You made an UTG raise to 5 cents. Is this your standard bet size for this position? I ask because to me it looks like an clear tell of a monster. Personally, I open from utg with a 4x raise, but 3x is pretty standard at 2nl. By adjusting you betsize downward you are indicating that you want action. If you do change you betsizes with respect to your cards, I strongly suggest not doing it anymore. It is very exploitable by an observant opponent. If your standard utg raise is 2.5x, I would suggest making it at least 3x, preferably a bit more. The weaker your position, the larger your raise ought to be (utg, sb, bb) and the better your position the smaller it can be (co, btn). This is because it is easier to play post flop from good position.

I hope this helps.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
You made an UTG raise to 5 cents. Is this your standard bet size for this position? I ask because to me it looks like an clear tell of a monster. Personally, I open from utg with a 4x raise, but 3x is pretty standard at 2nl. By adjusting you betsize downward you are indicating that you want action. If you do change you betsizes with respect to your cards, I strongly suggest not doing it anymore. It is very exploitable by an observant opponent. If your standard utg raise is 2.5x, I would suggest making it at least 3x, preferably a bit more. The weaker your position, the larger your raise ought to be (utg, sb, bb) and the better your position the smaller it can be (co, btn). This is because it is easier to play post flop from good position.
5c has been my standard raise from any position for the last few months. Prior to that it was 6c but I guess it is just laziness because I occasionally play at 5nl and very occasionally take a shot at 10nl where I use 13c as an opening raise size.

So to anyone paying attention it shouldnt be a 'tell' of a monster but I take on board the fact that I maybe should raise it that extra little bit when UTG offset playing out of position.

Thanks for the advice - glad I posted this for the reassurance and extra info.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com