Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Jigzee on a roll

Old
[JK] Jigzee on a roll - Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi all. just joined and looking forward to making some friends and hopefully improving my game at the same time.

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 11:11 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello Jigzee58,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
1st task completion - Thu May 16, 2013, 01:15 PM
(#4)
I have watched the video, completed the poker basics course, and passed the quiz, and here is my posted hand.

PokerStars Hand #98638764114: Hold'em No Limit (1/2) - 2013/05/16 0:57:56 WET [2013/05/15 19:57:56 ET]
Table 'Drymas VI' 9-max (Play Money) Seat #3 is the button
Seat 2: neno lelis (400 in chips)
Seat 3: Jigzee58 (1024 in chips)
Seat 5: BigSlickA676 (198 in chips)
Seat 7: Dhamon2 (532 in chips)
Seat 8: hicks512 (411 in chips)
Seat 9: rayray264 (400 in chips)
mateusnunes8 will be allowed to play after the button
BigSlickA676: posts small blind 1
Dhamon2: posts big blind 2
rayray264: posts big blind 2
neno lelis: posts small & big blinds 3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Jigzee58 [Kc Kh]
hicks512: folds
rayray264: checks
neno lelis: folds
Jigzee58: raises 8 to 10
BigSlickA676: folds
Dhamon2: raises 66 to 76
rayray264: folds
Jigzee58: raises 66 to 142
Dhamon2: raises 390 to 532 and is all-in
Jigzee58: calls 390
*** FLOP *** [3c 8s 5s]
*** TURN *** [3c 8s 5s] [4c]
*** RIVER *** [3c 8s 5s 4c] [Td]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Dhamon2: shows [7h Ad] (high card Ace)
Jigzee58: shows [Kc Kh] (a pair of Kings)
Jigzee58 collected 1022 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1070 | Rake 48
Board [3c 8s 5s 4c Td]
Seat 2: neno lelis folded before Flop
Seat 3: Jigzee58 (button) showed [Kc Kh] and won (1022) with a pair of Kings
Seat 5: BigSlickA676 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Dhamon2 (big blind) showed [7h Ad] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 8: hicks512 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: rayray264 folded before Flop

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 02:53 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Jigzee58!

Please use the hand replayer for posting the hand (the reason for this is that this is how hands need to be posted into any of the hand analysis sections) and one of the points of this item is to get everyone used to using the replayer.
As soon as you do this, we'll have the hand analyzed and move you to the next step.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll builder hand post - Fri May 17, 2013, 10:59 AM
(#6)
Thanks for your patience John, here is my hand from the replayer.

Last edited by Jigzee58; Fri May 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Jigzee58!

The first thing that I see here is that a player should always wait until the BB to start playing at a ring table. The reason for this is that paying extra blinds will be a very large drain to our bankroll over time.

With JJ, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 2 limps (yes, the post counts as a limp), I will raise to 5BB or 10 chips.

I flop an overpair to the board in a hand with 5 opps and get a min-bet in front of me. I'm going to raise here and the key is the sizing of it. With this many opps, I need to make a pot-sized raise (if it was checked to me, I would make a pot-sized bet). Due to this, I will raise to 53 chips.

The turn pairs the board and a different opp now min bets. If it were checked to me, I would bet 2/3 the size of the pot since there are two opps, so I will raise by 2/3 pot and bet 140 in a normal situation... BUT.. this bet would be over 1/3 of my remaining stack, which means that I'm pot-committed. Due to this, I'm going to shove the turn.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 12:38 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant Jigzee58!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll bad beat - Fri May 17, 2013, 03:21 PM
(#9)

I felt I had to take the chance, as he had been going all in frequently. I put him on AK or AQ.

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Jigzee58! I quite like the way you played this hand up until the river call.

Pre-flop, I can make a case for just limping along hoping to see a cheap flop, folding (because QJo is a weak hand at the best of times), or making an iso-raise (as villain will often fold, or you can use your position and the initiative to win the pot post-flop).

You took the latter option, which is fine, but I think a raise to 8c is better. A standard raise size is 3bb +1bb per limper. This means you have a little more "fold equity" (to disincline callers) and makes it more of a mistake for villain to call with a speculative hand.

As played, the blinds fold and the limper calls. You get a pretty good, but very dry, Q32 flop. Most of the time, when villain checks here and you bet, he will fold. There aren't a lot of worse queens that can call, but pocket pairs like 99-44 will probably peel one off, hoping that you missed with AK. If villain flopped a set, he'll usually raise immediately and you can fold. Villain calls and you see the Kh on the turn. It's possible this card improved villain's hand, but only if he was making a loose call with Kx. I'd guess it's possible for him to have KQ too, as some guys are passive enough to limp with that hand pre-flop.
There's a flush draw out there now, as well as an OESD for JT, but I wouldn't worry too much about those, as it would seem weird for villain to have floated OOP with undercards. I like checking behind here for two reasons. 1. If you're beat, you want to keep the pot small, and get to showdown cheaply, as you only have 2nd pair.
2. If villain is weak (with a hand like 77), you're more likely to get a call on the river when you take the bet-check-bet line, because that will look like you have nothing and are just trying to steal the pot.

So you check and see the river. This is a good card, as you made two pairs. When villain checks, I'm always betting, but I'm not expecting to get called all that often. If villain had a super-strong hand, he'd usually lead out for value, because he doesn't want you to check behind. Since I'm targeting a weak range, I'd go with a smaller bet of about half pot or less, hoping 99-77 or even worse will look me up.
When villain check-raises all in, it's time to re-evaluate. Firstly I consider the hands that could beat me, and then I work backwards to see if those hands make sense with villain's line. AT would have the nut straight, but it would be pretty weird for villain to have limped with that, and also check-calling the flop with AT would seem strange. It's certainly a possible holding, however. He could also have a set of jacks, but again that is unlikely, because that river card would be a 1-outer. Villain can also have the same hand as you. I think that makes sense. He might have slow-played 33 or 22 on the dry flop, but I'd expect him to lead out on the river. KQ is another possibility. If villain limped that hand, then check-calling the flop would be the right way to play it, with the intention of check-raising if you bet the turn. KJ sort of makes sense too.
Other than those hands, there's not a lot villain can have, unless this guy is capable of making big bluffs with missed draws.
You mentioned you put him on AQ or AK, but I think the chance of villain being on those is very small. Firstly he'd raise pre-flop, not limp. Secondly, I don't think a villain is ever check-shoving the river with one pair, especially 2nd pair. Being passive, he'd check-call.

River check-raises are actually extremely rare, but when they occur they are "polarized". Villain either has a hand close to the nuts, or he has total air. Since this guy limped pre-flop, he doesn't seem the type to get uber-aggro on the river, or make a big bluff. I think he's getting fancy and going with the check-raise for value, most likely with KQ, KJ or AT. You have two pairs, but it's just a bluffcatcher. Villain isn't value-shoving one pair. He either has you beat, or he has nothing at all. I can understand you paying him off, but in the long run, it's best to give a lot of credit to big river bets/raises and make a disciplined laydown. I'm only calling this shove if I have a note on this villain that specifically says "Overvalues top pair on the river" or "Shoves river as bluff".

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Replying to JJ hand - Sat May 18, 2013, 02:54 PM
(#11)
Thanks john, everyone seems shove crazy, so it was good to get to play them.

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Please let me know when you finish the other items.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
replying to Artysmokes - Sat May 18, 2013, 03:09 PM
(#13)
Yes, thank you. Folding was the right call on the river, and I knew it in my waters. I will learn from that.
I felt I played it ok, but maybe should have given him more to think about on the turn, as you suggested. What this hand highlighted to me the most, was my lack of knowledge, when it comes to pot odds, and value betting. I would have picked up on that check raising on the river as an alarm bell otherwise. He had shoved a couple of hands previously, which I suppose was not really of any consequence, in hind sight.

Thank you, another lesson learned.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com