Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder Promo Attempt

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder Promo Attempt - Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:14 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hi I would like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 12:17 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello Pkr & Pizza,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll Builder Hand Replay - Ac & 5c - Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:36 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar

Hi, should I have bet pre-flop on this hand? I know in the end it turns out I would have lost, but I feel I probably should have bet.

Old
Bankroll Builder - First 3 steps completed - Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:40 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Hi, just to let you know I've done the first three steps

Also, could you please let me know if I played this hand correctly?

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:50 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 06:49 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Pkr & Pizza! I'll take a look these hands for you.

1. A5s can be a trouble hand. When it makes top pair, you often have kicker trouble, as it's dominated by A6+. The suited version is playable, however, because you can make the nut flush as well as the wheel straight (A-5) with it. It's a hand you don't want to a play a big pot with unless you make two pairs (or trips) or a straight or flush.
Here, you're in the big blind. While you could try raising, you're likely to get called very often on the play money tables, and since you'll be out of position on the flop, it will be difficult to know how to proceed when you flop one pair or a draw. It's very hard to win a big pot when you're out of position. For these reasons, I'd just check my option and see a free flop, with the aim being to win a small pot unless I hit the nuts.
The flop is AQ8, and this is where a hand like A5 gets into trouble. You have top pair, bad kicker, and there's a flush draw. When the SB bets, he usually has something, but it's hard to know if he has you beat, or if he has a weaker hand or draw. The standard play is to call here. Keep the pot small until you have a better understanding of villain's holding. When you raise, you're usually only getting action from hands that beat you. Here you raise and get re-raised. Both villains are showing strength, so you can make a good laydown, but the information cost you 90 chips. If you'd just called, you'd usually see a turn card and might improve to trips or 2 pairs.

2. With 98 in the cutoff facing 3 limps and a raise, I'm folding almost always. This pot is likely to get very big if multiple players enter, and there might even be a big re-raise that you can't afford to call. If you had the suited version then calling in late position might be worthwhile, but an offsuit 98 hardly ever makes the nuts. Unless the flop is 998 or 765, you'll never be very confident with your hand against so many players. Usually you'll flop one pair or a weak draw like a gutshot that can't call decent bets. Since you'll be folding 98 on most flops, it's pointless playing the hand in the first place!
A family pot develops. With 8 players seeing the flop, the winning hand will usually be very strong; probably a straight, flush or full house.
The flop looks good for you, as you hit a pair of 9s, but you're losing to trip 7s, better 9s and all overpairs TT+. There's not a lot you beat when there is all this action in front of you. These players' bets say "I have a monster hand". You should be folding on the flop, even though you hit it.
As played, you shipped the rest of your stack and got very lucky. Look at what the other players had on the flop. Two had trips and one had a pair of queens. All these hands were beating you. So you "got it in bad" and sucked out. In the long run, you'd lose a lot of money calling off your stack with just a pair of 9s. Villains will show you much stronger hands, and you won't hit a 2-outer very often.

The main lessons to learn here are:
* Small aces are OK for seeing a cheap flop in the blinds, but you don't want to build a big pot if all you have is one pair on the flop.
* Don't play weak offsuit hands like 98, especially facing a raise. They just won't win very often.
* If there is a lot of betting and raising in front of you, re-evaluate the strength of your hand. If all you have is one pair, average kicker, make a solid laydown.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with the next stage of the promotion!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 08:03 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Hi Arty,

Many thanks for that, I wasn't expecting that analysis for 1, but yes I see your point. The pair of aces is very deceiving and I sometimes forget to look at the kicker

On the second one, I guess I had a good idea I was lucky and played the hand pretty badly, I think I just needed the confirmation.

Thanks again for your tips!!

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:42 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant Pkr & Pizza!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Hi, I played at the cash tables as advised and I'm afraid to say I was ... hopeless. This hand bugged me for a while though and I was wondering should I have called with the hand that I had?

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 01:42 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
3 reasons why a player would want to make a big bet:

1) To put a lot of pressure on opponents who are still in on the hand

2) To try to bluff opponents off decent hands they may have

3) To gain value from very strong hands like monsters you get on the flop, turn or river.

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 06:58 AM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkr & Pizza View Post
Hi, I played at the cash tables as advised and I'm afraid to say I was ... hopeless. This hand bugged me for a while though and I was wondering should I have called with the hand that I had?

Hi Pkr & Pizza!

Good fold Q10s is a speculative hand (a bit like Arty discussed with A5s previously). Small pairs, suited connectors and Axs fall into this category. With these hands you want to see the flop cheaply, from late position AND with multiple opponents in the hand. Normally these hands miss the flop and you have to fold. When you do hit a set, or strong straight/flush draw you will often win a huge pot.

In your hand, if V9 had just limped in along with all the other players, it would have been a fantastic spot to complete and see a cheap flop. However, when v9 raises several problems occur for you. Firstly, you will be out of postion all hand in the sb. Secondly, there are three players left to act after you. Any one of them may re-raise forcing you to fold. Finally, just calling the 8 cent raise is pretty expensive. It will be hard to win enough the few times you win to cover all the times you loose when calling a raise of this size. Folding was perfect, well done!

Note: yes a Q came on the flop, but V7 may have had you beat nonetheless. Furthermore, you made the right discision preflop when you folded. Don't worry about what happens after that point. The results don't matter.

Keep at it

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pkr & Pizza!

Please let me know when you have completed the cash game quiz.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Hi John!

I have now passed the Cash Game quiz!

All three of the second list of objectives completed

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:20 AM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello Pkr & Pizza,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Hi John,

Thanks for this, but I've got a few questions:

1) What are VPPs? I know V is close to the F on the keyboard ... did you mean FPPs

2) If you did mean FPPs, I've got 0.97 at the moment; if I somehow miraculously make that to 10 does that count as getting 10 AFTER getting this second $2 or do I have to go to 10.97?

3) There are some Home Game tournaments coming up that I've been emailed about a lot, how do I filter what sort of emails I get?

4) Can I enter in the Home Game real money tournaments at all without compromising my Bankroll Builder Promo?

Sorry, just trying to make it absolutely clear what I'm supposed to do and what I can and can't do

Cheers,

Prad

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkr & Pizza View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for this, but I've got a few questions:

1) What are VPPs? I know V is close to the F on the keyboard ... did you mean FPPs

2) If you did mean FPPs, I've got 0.97 at the moment; if I somehow miraculously make that to 10 does that count as getting 10 AFTER getting this second $2 or do I have to go to 10.97?

3) There are some Home Game tournaments coming up that I've been emailed about a lot, how do I filter what sort of emails I get?

4) Can I enter in the Home Game real money tournaments at all without compromising my Bankroll Builder Promo?

Sorry, just trying to make it absolutely clear what I'm supposed to do and what I can and can't do

Cheers,

Prad
Hi Prad!

1) Here is a link that will answer your ?'s. VPP's is correct.
2) It is 10VPP's after the 2nd bonus, so if you had .97 when you received it you need to get to 10.97.
3) There is a setting in each homegames lobby under options where you can opt out of the e-mails
4) You can play the play money tourneys, but playing ANY cash tourney will make you INELIGIBLE for further bonuses in this promotion.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 08:35 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Hi John,

OK, so I've played at a cash table and I've lost most of the money before I conculded maybe I'm just the unluckiest person ever to play online poker and just stopped with $0.21 left in my account

I have a few hands to show here, the first one shows how a maniac with absolutely NOTHING (talking about Liono) cost me just over half a dollar's worth. maybe I was stupid to call, but come on, I had a strong hand on the button.

The only comfort I had after this hand was that he didn't win anything either.

The second hand really got on my nerves as I had pocket aces (yes I know that it statistically only wins something like 4 out of 10 times but I think most people would have played this hand like I did) in late position.

What minute amount of comfort I got from this was that no one had a straight.

OK so at this point I've started to think about calling it a day. But no.

I was quite proud of this bluff, as I just followed what was advised in the video which I had to answer the Big Bet question for.

Then, after MANY hands where I folded pre-flop or pre-turn (mainly due to rubbish cards) my luck went back to being horrendous.

I attempted a minor bluff with this one and although I think you're going to say I was wrong to do this, I stillI think I probably should have called in the end.

And I probably played this one badly too, but I would like to know what you think.

I won hands after that, got up to $0.65 and then I got pocket queens and decided to go for it.

This is the hand where I decided it was time to switch off.

Please could you advise if I was right in playing any of these hands the way I did and what (if possible) I need to do in order to continue with the bankroll builder?

Thanks and sorry for this essay-type reply, but it could have been about 3 times as long if i included some of the minor losses (such as where I'm big blind and am literally forced to fold).

Prad

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again P&P! I'll run through these hands.

1. With KTs on the button, there is a raise and call in front of you. You can call here, because you have good pot odds to try and hit a draw or a strong hand on the flop (multiway pots suite "drawing hands"), utilising position to control the pot size. Calling also encourages another player to call, so you could win a very big pot if you make a straight or flush. On the flop of QT5, you have a flush draw and an overcard, which is a reasonably good draw, but unfortunately you don't get a good price. The maniac villain overbets the pot. While you're probably in good shape against his hand, the flat call by villain_8 is worrying. He probably has a monster hand like a set or overpair, but can also have the nut flush draw, meaning you don't have flush outs at all. It's best to fold on the flop, because you're not getting a good price. You should only be chasing flush draws if the price is less than the size of the pot. When villain makes it two times pot, just cut your losses and wait for a better spot.

2. You have AA in middle position, facing an UTG raise and you decided to flat call. The standard line is to re-raise (3-bet) pre-flop, in order to isolate the first player. I'd make it 18c (the standard size for a 3-bet is coincidentally three times the size of the open-raise). The last thing you want is for several players to overcall because they have great pot odds. That's what happens here. 4 players see the flop, so there's a much greater chance that aces will get cracked. This KQJ flop is terrible for you too, because villains will often have a set, two pairs or a straight. When a villain leads out here, you need to make a raise, partly for value (because you're beating all one pair hands) and partly to get heads up. With several players in the pot, someone could make a straight or two pairs. By just calling, you give them a good price to see if they improve. As it turns out, one villain flopped two pairs and decided to slowplay. That's a mistake, because he could also lose to a straight, but when the turn and river are blanks, he knows he has the best hand. It's hard to fold aces in this spot, but if you'd taken a more aggressive line, both pre-flop and on the flop, you might never have been in this situation in the first place.
Pocket aces actually win about 80% of the time if you play them well. By slowplaying pre-flop, you not only lose value; you also make it much more likely that you will lose. When you have a big hand, enter the pot with a (re-)raise to get value for your hand, and to make it a mistake for weak hands to call.

3. A2s is just about good enough to over-limp in late position to see if you can flop a monster for a bargain price, but I generally recommend you either raise or fold pre-flop, not call. I wouldn't go crazy if you only make one pair, as you have no kicker. Mostly I'm trying to hit the nut flush. Here you flopped top pair and rivered a boat, so betting for value was straightforward.

4. QJs in EP should be a fold. Don't limp into the pot. There is nothing to gain from limping, as you can't win pre-flop by just calling, and you'll likely get raised and have to play the pot out of position without the initiative. Limping is a weak play. If you want to make money, stop limping, because it's basically throwing your money away. If a hand isn't strong enough to raise in your position, then fold it and wait for a better spot.

5. You see a free flop with 52 in the big blind. You flop bottom pair and take a stab at the pot. When you are called here, you have to give up. Villain is never calling with a worse hand, so don't put any more money into the pot.

6. A7 should be a fold pre-flop. Ragged aces are trouble hands. Even though you only have to pay 2c to see a flop, there just isn't a positive expectation for you. Your hand is dominated by better aces (A8+) and cannot make a straight or flush using both cards. Maintain your discipline and wait for a playable hand.

7. You have QQ UTG. This is the third strongest hand in poker. Why are you limping? This is a terrible play. You should want to get value for your premium hand. Make a standard raise to 3bb (6c), so that other players will have to pay extra if they want to beat you. Limping could encourage several players to enter the pot, and then you'll hate it when an ace or king hits the flop. QQ plays much better against one opponent, because you can make a c-bet and either take down the pot, or get called by worse and get lots of value. There's no value at all in limping, because you allow worse hands to suck out at a bargain price.
Here you see a flop 4-ways. You have an overpair and a draw to the third best flush. Betting for value is good, but you'd be winning a much bigger pot if you'd raised pre-flop.
On the river, you make the flush and bet it, but villain raises. He is only doing this with a king- or ace-high flush (if not a straight flush). It's hard to fold here, but you're almost always losing.
Once more, if you'd made a standard raise pre-flop, A9 wouldn't even be in the pot.

If you keep limping and betting small, you will repeatedly lose to suck outs, because you're not giving villains the opportunity to make a mistake. If you bet BIG with your made hands, then they will be making a mistake by calling with worse.

Overall, you need to work on your bet-sizing. Eliminate limping from your game, and start entering the pot with a standard raise. If you think you have the best hand, make a bet that gets value and will be a mistake for a drawing hand to call. If you don't become more aggressive, then other players will keep beating you when they started with worse hands.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 11:17 PM
(#20)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello Pkr & Pizza,

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 4th bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com