Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi! I'm new to PSO and I'd like to participate in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Old
Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdang92 View Post
Hi! I'm new to PSO and I'd like to participate in the Bankroll Builder promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi bogdang92,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:35 AM
(#4)

I'm not sure on this hand if I should have played more carefully and folded before the flop, and also if I should have played more passively once the flop was dealt.

In this one I'm not sure about my decisions post-flop, or should have I better folded pre-flop after the villain's reraise? On the river I was pretty confident I had the best hand and decided to bet for value.

I have passed the Poker Basic course as well. Thank you for your time!

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:52 AM
(#5)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:36 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi bogdang92!

With KQ on the button, instead of calling behind, I'm going to make a 3-bet here and try to lower the number of opps. My normal bet size for a 3-bet is to between 3X the previous bet (1200) and a pot-sized raise (1900). Since there are opps that have called the min-raise, I'll take the higher end of this range and raise to 1900.

I see a 5-way flop and get top pair/2nd kicker and the 2nd nut flush draw. The first 3 opps check and the opp to my right makes a bet of 1k (less than 1/2 pot). I'm going to raise here and since there are so many opps in the pot, I'll make a pot-sized raise to 4200.

The opp now raises and I need to make my decision for the hand right here, as since a raise would pot-commit me, I need to shove or fold. If the opp has a set or two pair, I have outs and the only hands I'm crushed by is AK with the ace of hearts or Ax hearts. Here, I'm willing to take that chance and will re-raise all-in.
------

With AJ from mid position, I'm going to make my standard preflop raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. Due to this, I'll raise to 600.
i then get an abnormally high raise from the opp to 2600. Here is where a read on the opp is crucial. If the opp has been raising and playing a very large number of hands, I'm going to re-raise to 3X their bet (7800). If the opp is playing tight, then I'm going to muck this preflop and look for a better situaion.
I don't want to just call here, as I won't know whether I'm ahead or behind after the flop, so I won't know whether to bet or check.

The flop gives me an open-ended straight draw and the opp checks to me. Since I don't have a made hand and the opp was the last to raise preflop, I'm going to check behind here and see a free turn card. I could easily be behind here and don't want to be betting chips into a pot where I could be behind.

The same thing on the turn. I still don't have a made hand, so I want to check behind and see a free river card.

The river gives me two pair, but there are now 4 to a straight on the board. When the opp checks to me again, since my hand does have showdown value, but could easily be beat by a straight, I'm going to check behind and go to showdown. I don't want to give the opp a chance to check/raise shove here... which I cannot call and would possibly have to fold the best hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:47 PM
(#7)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:35 AM
(#8)
1)
Here I was trying to defend my BB, was putting the Villain on the BTN on a wide range of openers. Should have I forced him out of the hand on the flop with an aggressive bet? On the turn I felt commited, I don't know why exactly and I decided to call his 3-bet hoping he would have a weaker Ace or a Mid-Pair. I guess I should have just folded pre-flop in the first place and avoid all these tough decisions?

2) -To put a lot of pressure on opponents
-To bluff people off decent hands
-To protect against strong draws

3) I have read the Courses and passed the Cash Game Quiz.

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:37 PM
(#9)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Not sure if I made the right decision on this hand - Thu Mar 28, 2013, 03:57 PM
(#10)
Okay then, great to hear this! I would appreciate it if the Hand Analyser could also give me a little bit of advice on this particular hand that I've played as I am not sure if I should have gone all-in on the flop. I put the opp on a flush draw and I figured I should go for it as I was ahead. Was it the right call? Many thanks!

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:17 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi bogdang92! I'll take a look at these 2 hands for you.

1. AT offsuit is a tricky hand to play, especially out of position. While there is some merit to 3-betting pre-flop against a possible blind steal by the button, I'd often just call here, like you did. Much of the time, villain will have a weak hand here, and you can feel good about your hand if you make top pair. Having said that, villain made it 4bb, so it's possible he has a strong hand and expects you to call. Keep an eye on villains and take notes if they vary their bet-sizes, as these can be reliable tells on the strength of someone's hand.
The flop is a 335 two-tone. I'd expect a villain to make a continuation bet with most of his range here. If he has an overpair, he needs to protect it from flush draws, while also getting value if you call. You checked to the raiser, which is correct, but he checked behind. Typically he has two overcards here and he wants to see if he can hit one on the turn for free. He might also be worried you have a pocket pair yourself, so he's keeping the pot small. He might also be slowplaying a monster, with pocket 5s for example.

The turn brings an ace, and you've usually taken the lead here if you didn't have it already (he might have 8-high!). I don't think leading out is wise, though. If villain has a worse pair, or complete air, he'll fold to your bet, so you don't get any value. When villain raises, he's repping a strong ace, or better. He might even have pocket aces here. I can't imagine him getting out of line here with a total bluff or a worse ace. He'd fold his air, and call with hands like A8. So I think you need to fold to the raise.
A better line to take would be to check your top pair. Villain would be inclined to bet with any two cards (when you've checked two streets, he'll think you have nothing), and you could call and see a relatively cheap river, and probably win the pot fairly often.

2. Call me a nit, but I'd sometimes fold AQo in UTG+1 in a 9-handed game. I'd play the suited version, but I typically only open AQo in 3rd position, because it's a difficult hand to play out of position, when there could be a lot of action after the raise. Many other players are happy to open it here though, so pre-flop is actually fine.
You get multiple callers, which is a little worrying. If we missed the flop here, I'd be inclined to check-fold, because a c-bet is unlikely to win the pot uncontested. Fortunately for you, you make TPTK, so your c-bet is actually a value bet. Since this board is very wet, with a flush draw and multiple straight draws, and also because you have multiple villains, a large c-bet is required. You want to thin the field, while also getting maximum value from drawing hands and worse pairs. 30c into 27c is a little excessive. Something like 80% of pot will do. When villain shoves all in, it's a tricky spot. That's a big call you have to make. Villain might do this with a flush draw, an open-ended straight draw (KJ, J9, 98), a combo straight/flush draw (KdJd, Jd9d, 9d8d), a set, two pairs, or just a queen. Against the entire range, you're ahead now, but you're gonna lose this pot fairly often because of all the draws. Your read is that villain does this with a flush draw, but note that you hold the Ace of diamonds. Other than combo draws, the only FDs that make sense are KdQd and QdJd, and those also have outs to 2 prs.

If I've got his range correct, your winning chances look like this:
Board: T:diamond:7:diamond:Q:club:
       Equity     Win     Tie
Vill   56.08%  46.59%   9.49% { QQ, TT, 77, AQs, QTs, 98s, KdQd, QdJd, AQo, KQo, QTo }
Hero    43.92%  34.43%   9.49% { AdQh }

So you're actually an underdog against villain's shoving range, winning or chopping only about 44% of the time. Because there's already some dead money in the pot, it works out at a break even call.

Your call is OK if villain only makes this move with draws (i.e. he would like you to fold some of the time). Against villain's exact hand, you're still not a huge favourite, though. He'll suck out a flush/straight or two pairs about 41% of the time.
So you made a good call in a very close situation. No one expects you to know villain's exact range and your equity against it. Just be aware that on a board like this, there are tons of hands that are either beating you or have a very good chance to do so. You lost to a flush this time, but maybe your hand will hold next time.

Good luck with the next stage of this promotion!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:47 PM
(#12)
Hi bogdang92,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 05:09 AM
(#13)
Hi again! Thank you very much for the bonuses, I am now slowly but steadily trying to build into a solid Bankroll. Here is a hand where I lose a big pot, but I think I made the right decisions. Not 100% sure though. If any of the Hand Analysers could take a look at it, I would be really grateful, thanks!

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 10:19 AM
(#14)

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:05 PM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again bogdang92!

I like the way you played this hand, and I think you got super-unlucky.
Pre-flop, your re-raise (3-bet) is great. You'll usually get heads up here, and you obviously have the best hand. If villains decide to call a 3-bet out of position with hands like KJ or TT, they're making a big mistake, and not just because your hand crushes theirs. You've got position and the initiative on your side, so the only way a hand like TT or KJ is going to win is if it hits a 2-outer or makes 2pr/trips/straight.
I'd be slightly concerned that the EP player has TT here, because it's common for EP openers to raise with a hand like QQ-TT, but be unable to fold it to a 3-bet. Most of the time, when both villains check to you and you bet on this board, they are folding, because hands like QQ and JJ hate the king on the flop, as there's a good chance you have AK or KK+. The over-caller can be weaker, with some sort of straight draw or just a king, so you can get value if he check-calls.
The player in EP makes a great slowplay with his set. His check-call makes the pot so big and the remaining stacks so short that he knows he can get all in on the turn. It also entices the other player to call, so the pot is huge. This third player doesn't just call, though. He shoves. There's now 4.87 in the pot and you only have 1.60 in your stack, so you have to call for pot odds. It's just brutal that the EP player does indeed have the set of tens, so wins a huge pot when he turns a boat and the 3rd player just has trips.
You went broke here, but didn't really make a mistake. Your 3-bet pre-flop was exactly 10% of your starting stack. That means that you are on the verge of making a commitment decision. Once you've put a third of your stack in, you're basically never folding a made hand. Your flop c-bet means you've crossed the commitment threshold and you are willing to play for stacks.
There's a pretty good rule of thumb for situations like this: If you have TPTK or an overpair in a 3-bet pot 100bb deep, you should be happy to get it all in on the flop. Indeed, it's often a mistake if you don't.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:46 AM
(#16)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the hand analysis forums in the Poker Education section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on Bankroll Management at this point. Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com