Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Need an editor?

Old
Need an editor? - Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
Hello,

I'm been reading through some of the PSO material this week and have found several mistakes. One I already mailed to support, but here are 2 more:

On The Page:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...ction-pre-flop
4th paragraph from bottom
Therefore if the effective stack is 100 BB in this situation, you can certainly call the raise and hope to hit your set. The times you hit and win a big pot of your will make up for the times you miss and lose.
that second sentence doesn't make sense.
(remove words "of your")

on the page:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...expected-value

2nd Paragraph after "ODDS OF HITTING YOUR DRAW"
In that lesson, we calculated your odds of winning a hand in a percentage, but it can also be displayed as a ratio between winning and losing. A 20% winning probability can be translated as 4:1 odds - you will lose four in five times.
1:4 is 25%, 1:5 is 20%
(and 4:1 is 400% technically speaking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio)

Cheers,
-SP

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Cheers mate

If you come across anything else let us know.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2007
You will find plenty of grammatical and spelling errors throughout the site, in fact some of what you will read on the forums will make little or no sense if you are a native english speaker but to be fair this is not an English school but a poker one.

So therefore moving to things poker related 20% is 100/20 which is 4/1 in odds. If you want to convert odds into probability it is the denominator/denominator + numerator which in this case is one divided by five or 1/5 which give us the the probability of 0.2. If you want to express the implied probability as a percentage you multiply by 100 to give you 20%.

In your example you have simply misunderstood the difference between ratios and probabilities, they are two different things.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 03:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Cheers Top!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 06:01 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
WOW WOW WOW i am EXCITED why hasn't any one asked me out like that before !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just a creamin for cards YOU HAVE A DATE

Last edited by RiverFlat; Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 06:09 PM
(#6)
Can we play Now !!!!!!!!!!!!! just having fun my friends have either a good night or good day
************** CHEERS **********

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 06:14 PM
(#7)
so do i pass the quiz now

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:21 PM
(#8)
Since: Mar 2013
100/20 is equal to 5/1
20% is equal to 20/100 which is equal to 0.2

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:13 AM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Princejc2011,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline! Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Please feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.
Good luck at the tables!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 10:14 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejc2011 View Post
100/20 is equal to 5/1
20% is equal to 20/100 which is equal to 0.2
There's often confusion here, because of the various ways we describe/write odds, ratios and percentages.

Strictly speaking, when using ratios, we should use a colon. i.e. For odds of "4 to 1" we should write 4:1.
But it's quite common in poker (or general gambling) to use the slash mark (or even a minus sign) instead, so 4/1, 4-1, and 4:1 are all acceptable ways of writing "4 to 1". All of these terms represent 20% or 1 in 5.

Because of the confusion, I generally prefer to use percentages. I might write, for example, "The pot lays odds of 2:1, so you need to contribute 33% of the pot. You have about 40% equity, so can make a profitable call".

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 10:47 AM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2007
TY Arty,

You made a much better job of explaining this than my attempt but the statement in the article “A 20% winning probability can be translated as 4:1 odds” is correct.

Actually writing 100/20 is incorrect but I went to Wikipedia on pot odds in an effort to explain it better http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_odds

So following the formula, to convert the 20% to equivalent odds I subtract the numerator (20) from the denominator (100) and then divide the result (80) by the numerator (20).

100-20 = 80 80/20 = 4

80:20 = 4:1

The reason this is important is that if you miscalculate your odds to call you are putting yourself at a mathematical disadvantage and burning money.

For me the only way to actually understand the concept enough to get it round my skull was to try and understand the process of how it is calculated. I am not good at math but I have two sons who are both bookmakers and as you say Arty I had to get to grips with it from a gambling math perspective which confused me no end.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 02:49 PM
(#12)
Since: Dec 2010
ok ... few more so far:
(all grammar)

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...expected-value
"But don't allow the specific result alter your decision making."
"...to alter..."

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...poker-pot-size

after heading "Take a look at the following examples:"
"A player UTG1 raises with blinds of $1/$2 to $4, UTG2 calls you call with [77] on the button, both blinds call as well."
It's only missing a comma after "UTG2 calls", but for a few moments I thought I was sitting under the table at UTG1.5 for UTG2 to call me =/

end of same paragraph:
"So the action and the texture of the board don't allow you to control the pot."
should be "doesn't"

top of following paragraph contains "im" where "in" should be.

Cheers
-SP

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com