Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

New to Pokerstars

Old
New to Pokerstars - Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
I was reading your promotions and would like to join your bank builder promotion

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 03:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#3)
Hello R86420,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
should i have played Qd 4h - Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:08 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
i was wondering if i should have played this hand with my position i probably could have seen the flop any way it was cheap to get in

Old
can i take the omaha test - Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:11 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
i was wondering if i can take the omaha test or do i have to wait for you to say i can take it

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Please use the Hand Replayer only to post hands for review and also you can take the Omaha Quiz at any time, it does not affect this promotion.

Complete the 3 steps above to get your first bonus

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Ac 3c - Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:56 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar

i was wondering if it was proper to raise from BB when everyone limped i know i would have lost badly if i C bet or stayed in and tried to steal

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 03:43 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
I believe I've completed the 3 requirements of the bankroll builder what do i do next

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 03:52 PM
(#9)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 08:04 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi R86420! I'll take a look at this hand for you.

Seven players have limped into the pot and you have A3s in the big blind. I don't think you can make a profitable raise here. While it's possible everyone has weak hands, A3s is not a powerhouse, and you're likely to get called in several places, and then have to play the pot out of position, which is neither fun or profitable.
If you do raise, it will have to be BIG. 3bb + 1bb for each limper would make it 10bb or 20 chips. So, I'd just check here and see a free flop. If you hit it, you can get value then. If you miss, you only lost the forced blind you paid.
Raising to 10 encourages 5 players to call and see a flop. This flop is terrible for you. You haven't connected with it at all. You only have ace high, but if you made a standard continuation bet, you'd get called by all the hands that beat you (one pair+) and flush/straight draws. So checking (planning to fold) is fine, particularly with so many opponents. Someone is bound to have you beat.
It somehows get checks all around the table and you see a free turn card. This doesn't improve your hand, so once again, you should be getting ready to fold. Amazingly, it gets checked through again. Has everyone got blank holecards?
The river pairs the 9 and now there's finally some action. Your hand is obviously no good here, so you made a good laydown. What's most amazing to see is that villain_3 flopped top set and rivered a boat, and yet checked every street when they basically had the nuts! Their check-minraise on the river is hilarious. With TT on that board, I'd be winning a pot of 500 or so, because I'd be betting every street for value. Learn a lesson here and don't slowplay like this guy if you make a hand like that.

Overall, your play in this hand was fine. Your pre-flop raise didn't thin the field enough, but you realised you wouldn't be able to win this hand by betting the flop. You made a well disciplined fold when it became clear your hand had no value. Well played!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: typos

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 08:16 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
i thought so thanks artysmokes i shouldnt have raised but they were limping

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:56 PM
(#12)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 07:36 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
the reasons why someone would make large bets are to put pressure on opponents, protect against strong draws or to gain value from their very strong hands

Old
my 7 deuce wins i was blinded in - Fri Mar 29, 2013, 08:04 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar

should i have tried a value bet here my opponent played very passively

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 08:05 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
i believe i have met the criteria for my second bonus thankyou

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 10:26 AM
(#16)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 02:10 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again R86420!

With 72o, you'd usually be folding 100% of the time, but here you're in a big blind, so can check to see a free flop. As you're heads up, you can bet if you make a pair on the flop, because it's unlikely that villain also has a pair, and you don't want to give him free cards to improve to a better pair. (Against one opponent, one pair is usually winning).
The flop comes JT6, which you totally missed. Checking, with the plan being to fold to a bet, as with your previous hand, is fine. Villain doesn't bet and the turn brings a 3. You still only have 7 high, and villain might have improved to a pair or he could have a straight or flush draw, so I'd check again.
On the river, you make bottom pair. Since villain hasn't bet so far, you probably have the best hand now, but this is not a good spot for a value bet. You have a pair, but the kicker is awful. If villain has no pair, then he's not calling a bet. If he does have a pair, it's likely to be better than bottom pair, 7 kicker. So betting just folds out worse hands, and gets called by better hands. You don't want that to happen. Checking is fine, as you win the same size pot as you would if you'd bet and villain folded.

You asked a good question about value betting. I'll answer it by posing a question that you should always keep in mind at the poker table.
When considering making a bet or raise, ask yourself "Am I likely to get called by a worse hand?". If the answer is yes, then you can make a value bet. If the answer is No, you're not getting called by worse, then it's not a value bet. If you have a weak hand, try and see a showdown cheaply. Only build a pot (by betting/raising) when you have a strong hand and you think villain will call with worse.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 03:21 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
ok thanks alot that makes alot of sense

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
ive completed the 3 steps for round 2 of bankroll builder do i continue with tests??

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 06:43 PM
(#20)
Hi R86420,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com