Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Question
Bankroll Builder - Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hello,

I'm hoping I'm eligible for the bankroll builder since I seem to be going backwards instead of forwards. I may not be since my friend transferred some starter funds to my account. Please let me know - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you!!
RedTopHeidi

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 03:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 03:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTopHeidi View Post
Hello,

I'm hoping I'm eligible for the bankroll builder since I seem to be going backwards instead of forwards. I may not be since my friend transferred some starter funds to my account. Please let me know - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you!!
RedTopHeidi
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Red face
Steps 1-3 Completed :) - Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#4)
Hello!

I'm thrilled to be eligible. I have watched both videos and finally passed the Poker Basics final test. I spent some time at a play money table and am posting some questionably played hands below. One of them is from a .01/.02 table I played yesterday.

Thanks for your help and time!!
RedTopHeidi

First hand is pocket 7's attempting a semi-bluff with embarrassing river action - I probably should've just checked the river right? Very embarrassing to post, what was I thinking? You can go ahead and enjoy a laugh, I did.

Second hand: Ac 9d - not exciting, but did I play it correctly?

Third hand: Ah 8h - I was against a loose player and thought he was showing weakness so I bluffed after he checked the turn - is that a bad idea long term?

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 29, 2013, 11:32 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RedTopHeidi!

With 77, since the stacks are deep enough to setmine, I'll gladly call with 77.
The flop brings an overpair and the opp bets 1/2 pot. Since I could be ahead still, I'll call this bet and go to the turn.
When I miss the turn, the opp now checks. This could easily be the play from two overcards and I'm going to bet here. The key is the bet size. A standard value bet against one opp is 1/2 pot, so I'm going to size it at 11 cents. By making a pot-size bet, it just looks like a bluff and is going to get called more often.
The river is another over and when it checks to me, I'm going to go to showdown with my hand. A very small bet (less than 1/3 of the pot), doesn't accomplish anything and should be called by the opp every time here, even if all they have is a bluff... two cents into a 71 cent pot only makes the opp have to be right that they are the right hand 2.8% of the time to be a good call for them.
----------
With A9 from the BB, there is a raise and a large 3-bet. While the hand does have potential, it's not strong enough to call a 3-bet with, so I need to muck this preflop. Playing marginal hands when out of position will cost me a very large number of chips over time.

If I was in the hand and saw top pair/top kicker, I'll take my 1 shot to win the pot on the flop. With 3 opps and a flush draw possible along with a pair, I will bet 3/4 pot (42 chips). If I get called, I'm not putting another chip into the pot unless I improve. If I'm raised, I'm mucking.
---------
With A8s from the HJ, I'll play this depending on how the opps are acting. If the opps with position on me are being aggressive, I'm going to muck. If not, then I'll make a standard raise to 3BB or 6 chips.

The flop totally misses me and is very coordinated. I now have an opp that did not raise preflop lead into me. Even though this is a small bet, I need to muck here, as there are not many ways that my hand can improve and I may even be drawing dead.

When the opp checks the turn, against a tight player, I may try a 1/2 pot bluff here, but against a loose player, that is more likely to have a diamond, I'm checking behind and seeing the river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 06:01 AM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hello!
I'm thrilled to be eligible. I have watched both videos and finally passed the Poker Basics final test.
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Badly Played Pocket 10's - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:09 PM
(#8)
Ok, here's another embarrassing hand I played probably exactly backwards. On the flop I was attempting to represent an ace, and then it went downhill from there. Help!!

Thanks!

RedTopHeidi

Last edited by RedTopHeidi; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: wrong link!!

Old
Watched Bet Sizing Video - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:42 PM
(#9)
You might want to make a big bet for these reasons:
* to put a lot of pressure on opponents
* to bluff people off decent hands (or protect from strong draws)
* to gain value for very strong hands

I'll continue working on the Cash Game course now...

Thanks!
RedTopHeidi

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:31 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Heidi! I'll take a look at this hand for you.

It looks like you made a couple of small mistakes, but at least you didn't go broke with your hand here, like many beginners would.

You make a standard raise with TT in EP and get one caller. All standard so far. The flop is a two-tone A54. This is definitely a good flop to c-bet (repping the ace, as you say) because many hands that are either beating you or have good equity against your hand will fold. We can bet here, and hands like JJ and KQ will usually fold. A villain might even fold QQ on the flop, which would be a great result for you.
The only issue here is your bet size. When we are bluffing, we should choose the smallest amount that serves our purpose (i.e. gets villain to fold hands that are beating us or have good chances to beat us). If villain has a hand like KQ, he's folding to a bet of half pot, so betting full pot just means you lose more when villain calls. I'd generally go with a bet of 60% of pot here. That's all you need to bet to represent the ace.
Villain calls the PSB (pot-sized bet). Most of the time, he has an ace here, but he can also have a set or a flush draw. Since we're out of position and we only have 2 outs to improve our hand (the two tens), I'm going to be "one and done" here. When the flop c-bet is called, I'll just think "Villain has me beat with a random ace" and so I'll check-fold on the turn.
You correctly check the fairly blank turn, and here villain makes a very small bet. I notice now that he is very short stacked. This bet is so small in relation to the size of the pot, that I'd be very tempted to call, because it could just be a weaker pocket pair or flush draw (which we're beating) that is semi-bluffing. If villain really has an ace, he should just go all in here, as he has less than a PSB remaining. So I don't really blame you for calling this small bet.
The river puts a 4th spoke of the wheel (A-5 straight) out there, so even 33 got there. The pot is 63c and villain has 23c remaining. He chooses to bet 15c, which is frankly ridiculous, since it leaves 9c in his stack. Was he saving that for later if you called and won this pot?
I would actually look him up to find out what sort of hand he's taken this weird line with, as the note I take could be used to exploit this player in future. When you're on a very tight bankroll, however, it's far better to just fold earlier in the hand, as soon as you feel you're beat.

Since we don't see the showdown, I'd hazard a guess that this villain had a fairly weak ace like A8, and his small bets were because he was scared by the board making quite a few straights possible. Villains often make the mistake of betting small when the board is wet, when they should actually be betting big.

So on the whole, you didn't play this one too badly. Your flop c-bet was a couple of cents too big, and you should probably have check-folded the turn, but villain's weird bet-sizes meant you only lost about 12c more than the optimum. Well played! Better luck next time.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:54 PM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Let me know as soon as you pass the Cash Game course

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Cool
Passed Cash Game Test - Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:04 PM
(#13)
Hi Raiser,

I did it! I passed the Cash Games quiz with 83%! I still am bad at counting outs. I understand it, but I need more practice since I often make mistakes doing it - especially if you have multiple draws (like for a straight and/or flush). I'm determined to hang in there.

Thanks for your time!
RedTopHeidi

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:13 PM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi Raiser,
I did it! I passed the Cash Games quiz with 83%!
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs down
Hmmmm.... 10h 9h on the button - Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:34 PM
(#15)
Hmmmm, what would you have done here? The guy on my left was pretty loose. Thanks!

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 06:41 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 01:59 PM
(#17)
Hi again Heidi. Let's take a look at this hand.

With T9o on the button, a steal attempt is usually appropriate, and my standard line would be to raise pre to 6c like you did, and to fold if I get re-raised. If only one player calls, then I'll c-bet most flops, especially if they contain an ace or king (or if I make a pair, or have an open-ended straight draw), because villain will often miss the flop and be worried you made top pair. Your read that villain is loose actually makes me less likely to attempt a steal, because he'll be defending with a range of hands that are usually beating T9. I'd prefer to have higher cards (or suited cards) when attempting a steal versus a loose player, so I'll be able to bet for value or flop a good draw.

Here, he calls and checks the A98 flop. C-betting is good here, because villain will fold quite often. If he has a hand like 77 (villains nearly always at least call in the blinds with pocket pairs), he'll hate this flop, because he expects you to have an ace. I'd actually bet this flop if I had a hand as weak as 33 or 65s, because I expect villain to fold often, but here you also made a pair, so you're not in terrible shape if you get called.
Your bet-size is almost perfect. Since villain is either calling (he has an ace or straight draw) or folding (he missed) we don't need to risk a lot of chips. I'd make it 7c though, because anything less than half pot looks too weak, and could induce villain to raise as a bluff to make us fold.
When villain calls, he usually has an ace. About the only other hands that call are JT and 76 which had an OESD. The turn is a 5. Notice that this means 76 just made a straight. I'm not particularly worried about that hand because 76 is just one hand. Villain has many more combinations of aces.
I think betting here is a small mistake. This turn card isn't going to scare any hand that called on the flop, so if you bet here, you're always being called again. That would be great if you had top pair, good kicker, but you just have second pair this time.
My play would be to assume villain has an ace, so I'd check behind on the turn to take a free card, to see if we can make two pairs or a trips. Our hand (middle pair) has some showdown value, so if we can get it there cheaply, that's great. We don't want to be betting every street if villain has us beat.
Villain calls again, so we're almost definitely losing here. He checks the river, but there is no point in betting here. Sometimes, we have the best hand, because villain was on JT and missed his straight draw. If we bet, he's not calling with jack high. He's only calling with hands (Ax) that beat us, so I like your check on the river.
You played this hand pretty well, but like in the previous hand I analysed for you, you could have saved yourself a few cents by not betting the turn. This is what's great about being in position on the button. You get to control the size of the pot. When you're strong, you can build a big pot; when your hand is weaker, you can keep it small. With marginal hands that have showdown value, I recommend checkind behind to try and get a showdown. Don't keep betting if it doesn't seem villain will call with worse.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with the next stage of the promo!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Angry
AAA loses to nut flush -- argh! - Fri Apr 05, 2013, 02:06 PM
(#18)
Did I play this correctly? What would you have done differently?

Thanks!

P.S. I've gained $1.05 and earned 2 whole VPPs in 400 hands since the second bonus....

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 08:15 PM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 09:24 PM
(#20)
Hi again Heidi!

This hand is a bit of a weird one. You have A5 in the big blind, so can check and see a free flop, but I'd sometimes raise it up to 8c (3bb + 1bb for the first limper) because I'd quite like to take this pot down without a fight. I also want to get value if these guys have weaker hands, which is likely since they didn't raise pre. A5 is by no means a monster, however, so I'd be slightly cautious on the flop.
The SB minbets the A63tt (two-tone, with a flush draw) flop. This weak bet usually signifies a weak hand or a draw. He can be doing this with a hand like yours (a weak ace), maybe a 6 or a 3, an underpair like 77, a straight draw with 54, or a flush draw.
I quite like raising it up as you did, because we don't want him to set his own cheap price if he has a draw. Your raise is a little large, however, and I fear you could be value-owning yourself if he has a better ace or two pairs, or even a set. (Sometimes, players bet really small with monster hands, looking for action). Something like 6c or 8c is big enough I think.
One good thing about your raise is that one player folds, so you're now heads up in position (last to act) so can control the pot-size. The SB calls and the turn is a 7. Since you raised on the previous street, villain's bet here is a "donkbet". He should really be checking to the raiser. Since it's a minbet, you're definitely not folding with top pair and a gutshot straight draw. I'm a little concerned that 54 just made a straight, and another weak ace just made two pairs (A7). The pot is getting large now, and I don't want to bloat it further when I'm not sure where I'm at. Villain's line of "bet-call, donk" is either super strong or pretty weak. When faced with a donkbet, I usually play cautiously and just call, like you did.
On the river, your hand improves to trip aces, and this time villain leads out more strongly, betting about half pot. If villain has the case ace, we're not beating much. He usually either has us out-kicked, or made a full house. We're only really beating A4 and A2. And there's another thing to notice. The ace of hearts puts three cards to a flush on the board. Since villain's weird line is consistent with a flush draw that completed, I think the only play we can make on the river is to call. We can't really raise, like you did, because we're mostly only getting action from flushes, boats and better trips. It's pretty thin to raise here when we're only beating A2/A4 and complete bluffs. And villain would be crazy to bluff here. If he has total air, he'd be worried that you have a flush/boat yourself. You certainly repped an ace on the flop.
Villain shows a weak flush. That's pretty sick. I'd definitely make a note that this guy makes minbets/mindonks with flush draws. Next time he does it, you can make bigger valuebets/raises to get maximum value when the draw doesn't hit. You'll also know to fold when he makes a bigger bet on the river when the most obvious draw hits.

Better luck in your next session!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com