Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 05:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 05:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 08:00 PM
(#4)
I've done all 3 steps...

And for this hand, would love to know, was i supposed to shove after i hit straight on flop or playing slow is better?

Last edited by d4mj4n; Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 05:14 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi d4mj4n!

With 78o in the SB, when everyone limps, I'm going to call the extra chip and see the flop. If anyone had raised, I'd have mucked.

The flop gives the bottom part of a straight on a board with a flush draw. Personally, I hate these types of hands, as they can turn into big pot losses really quickly, especially on a flop like this since many opps will be playing broadway cards.
Unfortunatlely, with a large number of opps in the hand, if it folded to me, I'd make a pot-sized value bet here due to the large number of opponents. However, an opp has already made a HUGE overbet of over 4X the size of the pot. Here is where I'd like to have a read on the opp. If the opp is playing loose and chasing draws, then I'll call. If the opp is playing tight, then I may be drawing dead here and I really need to fold. The only option that I would not choose would be to raise, as there is no way to know that I'd have the best hand after the other two cards are revealed.

If I saw the turn pair the board and the opp makes a sizable bet on it, I'm mucking my bottom straight, as now I can be beat not only by a higher straight, but also a full house.

While the outcome is lucky for this hand, it's a good example of why playing hands out of position is such a huge disadvantage in NLHE.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 05:26 PM
(#6)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:06 PM
(#7)
I want to know about this hand something. Even that i won hand, i want to know if calling with A4s after re-raise is smart, in this situation i wanted to take risk, but i usually don't play this hand

Also for this hand would love to know if i made good re-raise or was i supposed to play slow or make bigger re-raise?

Three reasons why player want to make big bets are:
To put a lot of pressure on opponents
To bluff people off decent hands
To protect againsts strong draws

And i passed Cash Game quiz

Last edited by d4mj4n; Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 04:07 PM..

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi d4mj4n! I'll take a look at these two hands.

1. You have A4s in middle position. This is a pretty hand with a lot of potential (it can make the nut flush, and the wheel straight) but it's one that most beginners overplay. It's a trouble hand, because most of the time, it doesn't make the nuts. It just flops top pair, bad kicker, or a gutshot straight draw. When it flops one pair, it's dominated by all the bigger aces. Having "kicker trouble" can be very costly. With A4s, I'd open in late position trying to steal the blinds if no one else had entered the pot, or I'd call a raise (again only in late position) seeing if I can flop a good draw in position. Here there's a limp in front of you and lots of players still to act. It's best to fold here.
As played, you made a good isolation raise (4bb to punish the limper), but then there was a big re-raise. With his solid 3-bet, this villain is saying "I have QQ+ or AK". A4s simply has to be mucked at this point. A huge leak for newbies is calling 3-bets with weak hands. I'd even fold a hand as strong as AQ or TT in this spot, because they just don't do well against a typical 3-bet range.
So you called the 3-bet and now you're playing a big pot in which the size of the pot is bigger than your remaining stack! You're "pot-committed", as we say. You can't fold, unless the flop is really ugly, like KQ9 all clubs. Fortunately for you, you flop the nuts. This happens extremely rarely. Most of the time, you'd be happy to just see two hearts on the flop, but here your dream comes true, because villain is going to double you up, by putting money into the pot when he's drawing dead.
You were extremely fortunate here. If the flop had been QT5 in three suits, what was your plan? You'd put most of your stack in pre-flop and would be left with ace high, no kicker, facing a bet from QQ+ and the dreaded AK. When villain has AK and you have A4, you basically have to hit a straight, flush or a 4 to win. It won't happen very often, which is why you shouldn't play 3-bet pots with bad aces.

2. AA is two good aces.
You're in a great situation here. You have the aces on the button and there's some action in front of you. It's definitely a good spot for a re-raise, and your sizing is great (3x the last bet, plus 1bb for the limper).
I'm not a fan of slowplaying pre-flop (I want to raise for value), and usually not post-flop either. The flop comes a 922 rainbow, which is a great flop for you. Villain is unlikely to have a 2 in his hand, because he raised pre-flop. He's more likely to have a pocket pair. It'll be brutal if he shows up with 99 here, but most of the time he'll have a random pair. He donks out 32c into 46c, making the pot 77c. You don't have much more than that left in your stack. Indeed, just calling will mean more than a third of your stack is in the middle, so you'd be pot-committed (never folding). Since you're going to commit sooner or later and the pot is already big, shoving all in for value is the right play. Villain will notice he has a good price to call (and might even think he's good with a pair), so you'll double up very often here.
Sure enough, villain calls it off with 66 (I expected slightly better, to be honest) and doesn't hit a 2-outer.
I think you played this hand perfectly. It's very nice when Aces hold and you double up against a hand that should never have even played once you'd 3-bet. It goes to show that making big bets with big hands is the best way to make money, because 2NL villains will call with worse.
In the first hand, you called with worse when you should have folded. In the second, you had the goods and got called by worse that should have folded. Try to play more pots like the second example, as this is how you'll build your bankroll.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 01:49 PM
(#9)
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 01:51 PM
(#10)
i earned 10 VPPs, just letting u know

Last edited by d4mj4n; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:38 PM
(#11)
That's great to hear! It takes 48-72 hrs for those VPPs to show up in our promo

system, so please be patient but your next bonus will be in your account soon.

To earn your fourth and final Bankroll Builder bonus, keep applying at the $0.01/$0.02

cash tables the principles you learned until you have earned a further 10 VPPs. Should

you lose your bankroll, please post the losing hand and we'll give you our analysis,

followed by the bonus.

I wish you well!

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 07:48 AM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4mj4n View Post
i earned 10 VPPs, just letting u know
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com