Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

QQ, bad call?

Old
QQ, bad call? - Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
BronzeStar
Hey guys, i didn't have any information about the villain, but im pretty sure that i made a bad call here and got lucky. I should have followed that Call 20 tip for this one and it would say that i should fold this hand (QQ).

What you guys think?

Thanks for time and attention,

Verarlockloy

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Actually, Vera, I think you played this perfectly, although you definitely got lucky.
Villain has a short stack. They might be a tight/solid short-stacker, or they might be a fish that's lost a bunch of chips. Either way, QQ is usually ahead of their opening range in the cutoff, so your 3-bet in the big blind serves a few purposes.
1. It's a value raise, expecting to get action from worse hands.
2. It seizes the initiative for when villain calls and you see a flop out of position, allowing you to make a c-bet.
3. Villain becomes committed to stacking off with most of their range, because calling the 3-bet will mean they've put in about a third of their stack.

A bad short-stacker will stack off here with any pair, big ace, and even some random junk like A9, KQ or A6s. Even the good/tight SS-ers will get it in with hands like 88 and 77, which you have crushed.
So when villain shoves over your 3-bet, it's absolutely standard to call with QQ. You're beating a lot of hands they do this with, and you have a good price (pot odds of 102:53 is about 2:1), so you only need 33% equity.
It just so happens that you ran into the top of villain's range this time and hit your 2-outer, but I'm generally calling here with JJ+, AK, AQs, because villain will definitely show up with worse quite often.

It would be a completely different situation if villain was 100bb deep or more. A 100bb 4-bet shove would tend to represent a much stronger range, against which you're basically flipping/crushed.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old
Thu Mar 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Verarlockloy,

Thank you for making this post to explore options to see if you made a +EV decision. You did not let the favorable results lull you into thinking you were right, you sought opinions.

Most beginning players are extremely results focused. Won a good pot = made a good decision. Lost a big pot = someone else made a bad decision.

I commend you for questioning your decision making process as this is how poker players grow.

As to this hand I also call the shove based on the information provided. Only if they were an ultra-rock would I fold.

Good decisions FTW!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com