Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Shove bluff after smelling weakness

Old
Shove bluff after smelling weakness - Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
BronzeStar
The villain had been open limping 75% of pots, his overbet on the pot screamed of nothing and I had the open ended straight draw and I figured an overcard to his range so I called.

His timid bet on the turn after such a large flop bet made me suspicious even more than he was betting a draw or air.

Finally another small bet on the river I decided that the only course of action was to fold or shove over the top to force a fold if he didn't have the nuts.

I based most of my reads on his turn bet and the fact that he is opening so many pots.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 09:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Stangg,

Although bluffing at these stakes is often not necessary, I like your thought process here given the reads. You could also consider shoving the turn over his smallish bet... when you call it puts 3.37 in the pot and he's only got 4.39 behind so his river bet has to be pretty small (or zero) to successfully bluff, and if he checks after this action sequence I think it will usually be to call given how loose he is, so he basically has to bet small like he actually did (be bluffing or blocking with a weak hand) for this to work.

Also I think it's important to note that the river card probably helped your cause here... your line of calling the flop and turn looks like a draw, and the obvious draw (diamonds) gets there so the shove reps a flush or better and a flush is certainly possible with how you played. But if we think his flop and turn line combined mean weak, then it makes for a nice semi-bluff raise on the turn.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 10:02 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Hi Stangg

I really like your play. This villain's "play" is my favourite LCD (limp call donk).
Then thinking please no diamonds LCD bets small on the turn and you representing the river.

I agree with Dave be careful bluffing low micros and the river helped. You can bluff a thinking player and LCD actually thought about folding.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: "play"

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com