Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Dave's Bankroll Builder thread

Old
Dave's Bankroll Builder thread - Sat Mar 30, 2013, 10:50 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hi i'd like to take part in this promotion please

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 12:26 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello dakelleh,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Play Money Cash Game Feedback - Pocket Jacks in the Cut Off - Sun Mar 31, 2013, 08:49 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

So I have Pocket Jacks in the Cut Off with a few people calling the big blind. I raise big to try and push most of them off the hand, and end up with 3 of us seeing the flop.

Flop: 5, 5, 2

Checked twice to me, so I bet a little under half the pot, hoping to push them both out of the hand. Big blind re-raises me, UTG folds, and from this point I'm pretty much clueless as to where I am in the hand, and I just try to end it as cheaply as possible.

The guy ended up having pocket 9s and I take down a pretty big pot, but he could just as easily have had me beat. I guess my question is how do I know where I am in the hand? And did I show too much weakness after the turn? Or should I even be calling after the raise on the flop?

I hadn't been at the table long so didn't really have any info on the other player.

Thanks,
Dave K

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:14 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Dave!

With JJ, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limpers, I'll raise to 6BB or 1200. I want to keep all of my raises standard so that the opps are continually guessing what cards I'm playing.

I see a 3-way flop with an under pair. When the opps check to me, I'm going to bet 2/3 pot (3533). This is my standard bet for having 2 opps in the hand (once again concealing the strength of my hand since it's a standard bet).

I now get raised to 5k and I'm going to call this bet against a tighter opp. If the opp is playing very loose, then they could have a 5, but a tight opp shouldn't have one unless they flopped quads (which should wait to the river to bet/raise). It could be an overpair, but those should have re-raised me preflop.

The turn is another undercard that should be a total miss (unless they have pocket 10's) and this time the opp makes an abnormally small bet (a standard bet size for a HU pot is 1/2 pot). I'm going to call here and see what the river brings.

The river is an A and the opp makes a very abnormal small bet of 1200. While the opp could have an A or 5, I only have to be right 1200/24900 (4.8%) of the time to make calling here a correct play. With many other hands that the opp can have, I'm calling here and going to showdown.

The keys here are that the opp did not re-raise preflop (which they should have done with the premium hands that have me beat. Also, their bets on the turn/river are abnormally small for the situation. I want to base my bets on the size of the BB preflop and on the size of the pot after the flop. If the opp had a better hand, they should have bet more on the turn (or check/raised me again) and made a std bet on the river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have watched the video and passed the quiz and we'll move to the next step.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:58 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Hey John,

Thanks for the analysis and the insights. Some really useless information there which will be a lot of help to me later on. Playing pocket pairs, anything from about 7s to Js has always been a big weakness of mine.

I have watched the video and passed the quiz.

All the best,
Dave

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:48 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant Dave!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:29 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Hey John,

Thanks for the Bonus. Been putting it to pretty good use. Here's a hand I had a bit of trouble with.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

So I have 10s. UTG raises to 6c, I raise to 20c from MP, the Big Blind calls and the original raiser folds. Flop is 8, 3, 10 all hearts. He checks to me and I lose my nerve and push all in, knowing that any heart makes my hand very difficult to play. He folds.

So my question pretty much is, how do you play a flop that is all the same suit, especially when you've hit it that well. Are you better off trying to end it on the flop?

I'll watch the video and take the quiz as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks,
Dave

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:47 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Dave! I'll take a look at this hand for you.

You won this hand, but both of your actions are questionable, to be honest.
Firstly, pre-flop, the first raise comes from UTG. Players in that seat in a full ring game typically have a very tight range, usually something like TT+, AK and AQs. Note that pocket tens is the worst pair I'd open UTG. So when you raise, you're generally only going to get action from hands that beat you!
In my opinion, it's far better to just call with TT in this situation. If villain had opened in a later position, you can 3-bet with TT, but I usually play it cautiously, because it's quite likely that someone else at the table has a better hand. It will also be hard to play the flop, as it will almost always contain overcards. I'd just call the raise here and go set-mining (looking to flop trips and to win a big pot vs a bigger pair). TT is a monster in tournaments, and you'll often play for stacks with it, but in full ring cash games, it's just a medium pair that usually needs to improve to a set to win big.

In this particular spot, you 3-bet and got called by the BB. He would generally need a decent pocket pair to even contemplate cold-calling a 3-bet, particularly as UTG might come back with another raise, or even shove. UTG actually folds. He must have been on the weaker end of his range this time, with 99 or AQ or something like that, because your raise looked a lot like KK+.
The flop is pretty good for you. Top set on a monotone. Especially since you were the last pre-flop aggressor, a continuation bet is called for. On monotone flops, I like to bet about 60% of pot. If villain has no pair or flush draw, he's not calling anything more than half pot. If he has a pair+flush draw (e.g. two red jacks) then he's probably calling. With a made flush he might re-raise immediately, or he might slowplay.
The reason I don't like the all in push is because it doesn't get value. There are quite a few hands/draws that you're beating that will call a smaller bet, but the only hands that call a shove are hands that beat you, namely flushes.
I keep saying this in BRB threads, but you shouldn't fear the flush draw and set a price that forces it to fold. The flush draw won't hit all that often, so you should choose a bet-size that gets CALLED by flush draws. That's a value-bet: a bet that gets called by worse hands.
If you make it about 26c into 47c, then hands like JhJd or AhXx will call a bet. They'll only hit the flush on the next card about 20% of the time, so 80% of the time, you're making money.
Even if the flush does hit on the turn, you'll still have 10 outs to a boat or quads on the river, and can check-call a reasonable bet with good pot odds.

In future, in spots like this, try and get away from the mentality of "I want to end it on the flop before he hits a flush". Try and think of worse hands than your hand that can call a bet. Choose a bet size that gets action from worse, not a bet-size (a shove) that only gets action from hands that beat you.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Thu Apr 04, 2013, 10:49 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Hey guys,

Thanks for the great insight so far. I've passed the quiz in the last few minutes.

According to the video the reasons to make a big bet are:

1 To try and bluff people off good hands

2 To gain value on really good hands

3 To get protection against strong draws

Thanks again,
Dave

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 12:14 AM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello,

Fantastic Dave!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 09:47 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Hey guys,

Just to let you know I've watched the video and I've earned the 10 VPPs. The third bonus was credited to my account as soon as I did.

Dave

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 10:38 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello,

Fantastic Dave!

There are three ways in which you can earn your last bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 4th bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 06:50 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Hey John,

Hit the target and my 4th bonus came through. Bankroll up to $14 at the moment, with a little help from a strong showing in the $5,000 weekly Chrome+ freeroll.

Thanks,
Dave

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 07:07 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Congratulations Dave!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Good luck at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com