Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Study/Play Cash Games and MTTs, is good for beginners?

Old
Study/Play Cash Games and MTTs, is good for beginners? - Sat Mar 30, 2013, 06:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hey, I'm relatively a beginner in poker, but I've got some profit in 3.50+R 180p in pokerstars.

Because of this, I would like to continue playing these sng of 180p (2.50, 3.50 and 4.50), but the variance can be high, and I want to "protect" my bankroll. Many have told me that in cash variance is lower, which would be good for me to not ose my bankroll.

Do you think for someone who is starting to build your bankroll and improve your poker skills, be good to study / play both at the same time?

What would be the best way:

Play, for example, 4 tables at a time, two cash, two sng? Or take days just to cash and other just to sng?

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Scorpio 9311. Welcome to the forum.Find out about all the features of PSO here. Here are the keys to the video library to access loads of study material.

I would advise you to stick to 45 man SNGs regular sped to start. Cash games involve a lot of deep stack play that is difficult to learn. Playing regular speed SNGs means that you can play tighter and thus will have fewer difficult decisions. It will also reduce the variance, something that also occurs with the 45 man verses the 180s. Even keeping things as simple as possible, there is lots to learn when you are starting out.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
I started with cash game personally (1c/2cNL full ring zoom) and found it nice and low variance. You can just play super tight ABC poker and generally turn a nice profit. (you'll still need a good $20+ of BR to start with while you learn solid play though if you go that route)

If I were you I would stick to either SNG or cash game. Don't do both at the same time. The style of play is completely different and trying to learn both at the same time would be confusing.

Generally the <$1 buy-in 45-90 man MTT's are considered the softest competition so you can do much worse than starting there.

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
I would recommend learning one type of game first, but yes 45 mans would be less variance than the 180 mans.

Have a set day for review and a set day for study as well as a time for no poker. Set some reasonable goals.

I used this thread as my own inspiration for setting up goals.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ght=goals+2012

Personally for study I attend the live trainings here at PSO but being not a great student I don't always get it first or even second time around so lucky for me most trainings are recorded and can be found here

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/articles/poker-videos

Chewme1 is a 180 man player and has some videos in the archives an example is here but there are plenty of others

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...-February-2012

Hope this helps

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:36 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
I think to be honest it does not matter what u play if u have poor bankroll management skills or discipline. For each different type of game requires a different set of BR requirements. If u r comfortable and enjoy the 180 then learn the requirements and the skills to continue to beat those games.

GL with what u do

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:35 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
I also think you should stick with either cash or tourneys (whatever is most fun/profitable) for the time being.
I only recently started to play tournaments, and have hand to tweak my game, which was quite nitty on cash tables. After playing a bunch of SnGs and getting used to shoving all in (when short-stacked) with relatively weak holdings in late position, I had to keep reminding myself - when back on a cash table - that the strategy is different. Playing both game types at the same time would be far too confusing for my tiny brain to handle.

One thing I'd definitely recommend is to try and study almost as much (if not more) than you play. PSO has a ton of videos (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/library) and live training sessions (http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/live-training) that are every bit as useful as in-game practice.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 01:13 PM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2012
Thank you guys! I decided to focus on sng, because I already have a little experience on them

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com