Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

JJ $1 45 Man

Old
JJ $1 45 Man - Sat Mar 30, 2013, 08:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Guys,

Should I play this hand differently? Perhaps flat the open raise? The villain was playing 40/7. Being reasonably passive, the raise on the flop left me thinking JJ was not in front of much and was best to fold with a dececent stack left.

Thanks

Old
Sat Mar 30, 2013, 09:12 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hi Dasher

I'm taking a punt on this one. Loose passive but over how many hands and looks early in the tourney? But with a good read:

1) QQ+ AK should be 4-betting you unless very tight trappy
2) This looks to me like a semi-bluff on a draw or an unusual call oop with TT for a nit

So previous history helps here. Tough one to give up for me.

imo I prefer your raise to an over call

HA peeps may disagree.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Sat Mar 30, 2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:04 AM
(#3)
Thanks Forest for the comments

Stats were over 15 hands so not a big sample size.

I tend to read a click back raise as being very strong in this situation. A big flush draw with overcards still has pretty good equity against me. At the time I only had AT in my mind as hands I was happy to get it in against. I think you make a good point though with the QQ+ and 4 betting, at the time I had them as possible hands the villian could have, sets also seemed like strong possibilities.

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 04:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DasherF78!

With JJ here, I'm going to 3-bet to 3X the previous bet, 180 chips here. I don't want to flat here becuase that is basically turning my large pair into a small pair that would be setmining. Also, if the opp is really playing closer to 40% of hands, I'm well ahead of their range. Even at 7%, I'm ahead and due to me being ahead, that's another reason to 3-bet preflop.

The flop brings a board with both straight and flush draws and the opp checks. I'm going to make my standard HU value bet of 1/2 pot here (203 chips).

The opp now min-raises. I think I agree with Forrest, that this could be a bet to try to price in a draw. If there was an overcard to my pair, I'd give up here, but with an overpair to the board, I'm calling and re-evaluating on the turn.

If the turn completes a straight or flush, then I'll either fold to a sizable bet or check behind and see the river. If the turn is a blank and the opp checks, I'm going to shove the turn, as the opp has lost 1/2 the equity for their draw.

Being able to not be tentative in these situations and giving up too early is why I want to make sure that I have good bankroll management, as I want to be able to be aggressive, especially when I'm in position.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 08:32 PM
(#5)
Thanks John for the reply

One thing I don't understand is the comment "could be a bet to try to price in a draw". Is this the villian having the draw or me? I wouldn't have many draws here, I'm a tight player in EP 3 betting an EP raise, my range is more or less AK and JJ+. Wouldn't the villian be better to just flat call a draw on the flop or at least bet a bigger amount on a semi bluff?

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:04 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think the opp could have clubs here, especially if they paired the 9. They also could have a broadway 10. I've seen a number of opps that just click min-bet, which can cause themselves problems.
If I wanted to semi-bluff it, I'd be raising more, that's for certain.

Yes, they could have a set, but there are so many combiniations that would also be in their range, that I'm calling it.

You're repping a pair or premium overcards... which is exactly what I'd do here.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:23 PM
(#7)
Thanks John

I'm probably a little nitty early in tournaments.

I don't think BR is a problem with taking risks, I'm sitting on $65 profit from a $200 initial deposit mostly playing .25 and $1 45 mans (about 350 games). Maybe it's time to be a bit more aggressive early on

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:25 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DasherF78!

Getting more aggressive when IN position in them is something that I've worked on a good bit over the last year. Not necessarily early, but when I'm in position. It can get you into more trouble when OOP, but being more aggressive when in position has helped my ROI in the 45's a good bit. I'm cashing in a few less of them (slightly less ITM%, but I'm seeing big improvememts in my ROI.

Hopefully it'll translate to your game too.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com