Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder promotion.

Old
Bankroll Builder promotion. - Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 04:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChchGuy View Post
I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#3)
Sweet!!! Fingers crossed.

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 05:25 AM
(#4)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Sweet!!! Fingers crossed.
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
bankroll builder feedback - Tue Apr 02, 2013, 06:45 PM
(#5)

AK in late position. Should I have pushed pre flop instaed of betting, or played the hand completely differently?

Last edited by AChchGuy; Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:38 AM..

Old
Completed first 3 steps - Tue Apr 02, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#6)
Okay, I have completed the first three steps.
1. watch video
2. Post hand
3. Passed test

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:52 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi AChchGuy!

With AK from the cutoff, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limpers, I will raise to 6BB or 1200. I want to keep all of my raises standard, so that the opps are continually guessing as to the strenght of my hand. Opps that make abnormally large or small bets give the opps a tell as to the strength of their hand.

The flop totally misses me and since I raised preflop, I'm going to make a c-bet here and size it at 2/3 the size of the pot (my standard value bet size for two opps). Therefore, I will bet 5333.

I get one caller and the turn totally misses me. When the opp checks, I'm going to check behind for pot control, as I have absolutely nothing but ace high. The opp has already called a raise and a bet, so they should have at least a pair, which has me crushed.

The river is another blank and here, I need to check since I have nothing. I do not want to be betting when I'm behind or have no chance to win the hand, so I will not put any more chips into the pot.

I want to be betting when I have the best hand and to make standard bets only. Making abnormal bets basically turn my cards face-up to an observant opp and I want to keep them guessing as to the strength of my hand.

I also absolutely do NOT want to be shoving here preflop. It's way, way too many chips to bet here and it will only accomplish one thing. I will fold out all of the hands that I beat and keep in all of the hands that have me crushed. When playing, I want to do the exact opposite of this.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:53 PM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 03:32 AM
(#10)
1/ to put pressure on opponents
2/ to gain value from strong hands
3/ to protect against strong draws

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 04:43 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Let me know as soon as you have passed the Cash Game quiz and I'll get your next bonus to you

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
bankroll builder - Fri Apr 05, 2013, 05:13 AM
(#12)

was folding the right option even after already putting a good chunk of my stack in?

should i have called the final bet?

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 05:15 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Let me know as soon as you have passed the Cash Game quiz and I'll get your next bonus to you

Raiser

Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours.

Cheers.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 06:30 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi AChchGuy! I'll take a look at this hand for you.

With QTs in the cutoff, I'm usually attempting to steal the blinds, and I'll do this by opening for a standard raise of 3bb (6c). Limping in (calling the big blind) is a weak play. It doesn't give you an immediate chance of winning the pot (when the button and blinds fold). Instead, it gives them great pot odds to call and see a cheap flop. If your hand is good enough to play (and QTs just about is, in this position), then it's good enough to raise.
As played, all three players see a flop with you. I think of QT (or any two Broadway cards, really) as "two street" hands. If I just make top pair with hands like this, I'm looking to only put money into the pot on two post-flop streets. I say this because if you find yourself putting money in the pot on the flop, turn and river with just one pair, you're usually beat. Save the big pots for when you have the near nuts.

You got a pretty good flop here: Q87 with two spades, so an opponent can have a flush or straight draw. I like betting for value here, so you can make some money from the draws. You don't always have the best hand, however. You're losing to better queens, like AQ/KQ/QJ. Your bet of 6c into 8c is good, because you don't want to make it cheap if villain has a draw. The button calls, and this is a bit annoying for you, because he has position, so he can control the pot-size; folding when he misses, betting or raising when he thinks he has you beat, or even bluffing you off your hand.
The turn is basically a blank. This is unlikely to help villain unless he has specifically 65 or 44 that made a speculative call on the flop. You can either bet here, or check-call. I think I'd prefer a bet when we're out of position, because that will make the river easier to play. You checked and villain bet full pot, 20c. It looks like he has you beat, with a better queen, a set, two pairs, or a straight. If you call this big bet, you're probably going to face another one on the river. There's no shame in folding here, but you'd have had an easier decision if you'd bet the turn, because if villain raises, he definitely has you beat.
The river comes an ace. This makes your hand a little worse (it's no longer top pair), and may have improved villain's. Betting out here serves no purpose. You're effectively turning your hand into a bluff and driving out all the hands you were actually beating. If villain has worse than your hand, you want him to bet, so you can call and win some money. When you lead out, you're only getting action from better hands. Indeed, you play right into villain's hands. If he has a monster like a set or straight, he can make a big raise and you have to fold. That's what happens here. You had to fold and didn't even find out if you had the best hand. It would be far better to check and then call a small bet, or fold to a big one.

When our hand is relatively weak (e.g. second pair), we should try and get to a cheap showdown. We don't do that by betting out on the river. We do it by checking and calling.
Since you ended up putting money in the pot on all 3 streets, villain is going to have a better hand than yours almost all the time. Hopefully you've now learned that with marginal one pair hands, you should try and keep the pot size under control. Check-call at least one street, so that villain doesn't get a chance to blow you off your hand, and don't lead the river unless you are sure you will be called by worse.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with the next stage of this promotion.
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll builder - Wed Apr 10, 2013, 12:08 AM
(#15)
okay, passed cash game quiz

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 05:04 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
okay, passed cash game quiz
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
bank roll builder, a bad call - Wed Apr 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
(#17)

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 07:33 PM
(#18)

here are two hands where i lost my 2nd bonus.
the first hand was a bad call to an over pair to the board.
I need to learn not to chase.

the 2nd hand was another bad decision.
more frustration than anything.
cards were cold and at the 1st sign of something half decent, lost the rest of my stack.

Unfortunately I didn't attain the 10VPPs needed to get the next part of the bonus.

Last edited by AChchGuy; Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 10:17 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi AChchGuy! I'll take a look at the latest pair of hands.

#17 You have AQ in early position. You opened for 8c, but I don't think you need to bet so big. Use a standard raise of 3bb, which you should use for all hands to disguise the strength of them. There's a caller in late position, so you have to play this hand out of position.
The flop is 875, so you completely missed. This type of flop also connects with a lot of hands a player would typically call with pre-flop. I'd be quite worried that a villain can have a set, two pairs, or a decent straight draw with T9. Even pocket sizes (which is already beating you) has an OESD.
Nevertheless, I think a c-bet is called for, because a villain will usually fold underpairs, and similar hands to yours. I think your bet-size was too large. When I miss the flop, I'm bluffing, and when I'm bluffing I want to bet the smallest amount that is likely to get a villain to fold. On this board, I'd bet about 55% of pot. If villain missed the flop, he's folding whether you bet 55% or 95% of pot, so choose the smaller size to save yourself some money.
Villain calls, so he probably has at least one pair or a draw. In this spot, I'm going to be one-and-done with regard to the c-bet. We missed the flop and only have 6 outs to improve to top pair. We might even be drawing dead to a flopped straight. The 3 on the turn is a total blank which will not scare any of the hands that called on the flop. It's time to check and fold to a bet. Firing another bet of 60% of pot is basically throwing money away. Villain is almost never calling with a hand you beat, so just give it up. Firing two barrels with air is a good way to blow your bankroll. At 2NL, you make money by hitting the board and then betting for value. If you miss the board, and villain sticks around past the flop, don't put another cent in the pot. When villain raises this turn, it is pretty terrible to call. You have ace high and he has you crushed. Get out of the way and hope to hit the board next time.

#18 You're very short-stacked now, so there's no room for post-flop play. QJs is a pretty hand that plays well in late position when you're deep-stacked. Here, you're UTG. You should be folding 100% of the time, even if you had the full 100bb stack. Since your stack is so small, you can't put much pressure on an opponent. When the flop is 888, he's certaininly not folding a pocket pair (he has a boat), and he'll probably call with ace high too.
When you're this short-stacked, you should basically be waiting for a hand like 99+ or AQ+, and your plan should be to bet and raise pre-flop in order to get all in and racing for a double up.
Playing full ring games, you'll have long periods of being card dead. Poker requires a good deal of patience. If you don't get a playable hand, you can't force it. Wait until you get something that has a positive expectation.

A moderator will let you know how to proceed with the promotion.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com