Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

What do you do

Old
What do you do - Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
What do you do when you go from winning almost every hand you get involved in to not being able to winning with pocket aces, trips and even straights.

So i started with $2 from the bankroll builder and ive now got $30 in about 16 hrs on the 1c 2c tables but now im bouncing from 30 to 35 dollars and cant win with nothing, even when i know im ahead and they have nothing i got people calling my raise to hitting there 4 on the river with there weak offsuit 6 4 hole cards.

I even hit with my AK on the flop AK7 bet half pot then i bet pot on the turn and out comes a 2 on the river, im on the button villain goes all in im like what the hell has he got, so i put him on either trip 2s, A2 or maybe he was slow playing AK but i wernt gonna be folding my hand especially with the run of bad luck ive been having so i call, this clown pulls out triple 2s.

So my question is what do you do in this situation do you stop playing poker for abit or do you just put less money on the table or what im not sure lol, i hope someone can help

Last edited by mike2198; Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:31 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Mike2198,

the answer is, it depends. If its affecting your outlook on the game, IE your thinking dang fish i'll show him next time..or antything negative then yes take a break.

The reason you can do well and go on a heater with good run of cards in the 1/2c games is people play all kinds of garbage the problem is that the people play all kinds of garbage to the rive so you need to be awaire in a hand that starts with 4or 5 players that one of them has a cards to make str8 and one has cards to make a flush or they have one pair but will hold on to see if they can hit the other card.

Play good solid poker make notes and then put the hands that are bugging you into the hand review section here.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:51 AM
(#3)
I just went through three weeks of nothing goes right. What I did was to stop playINg HU. With games only lasting 20 minutes, the losses add up quickly. I dropped dow to the 25 cent SNGs, and even started playing the astronomer's freerolls. As a result my bankroll did not take a big hit. Downswings are going to happen. Take steps to protect your bankroll and try not to let your bad results put you on tilt. The latter is much easier said than done.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:57 AM
(#4)
Thats exactly what im doing its just im not hitting with the majority of premium hands and when i do i cant seem to build a pot at the moment, does everyone get this problem at some point they have a good run then miss everything, this is why i lost my bankroll on previous sites but this time im keeping my cool and playing with a short stack until i get a good run again.

look at this hand im literally having to steal pots to win

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:10 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mike2198!

Those streaks are going to happen. It's why bankroll management is so important. I went thru a streak of it for over 3 months last summer.... it's going to happen to everyone.

As an example, I play mostly tourneys and before I play at a given level, I want to have 100 buy-ins in my bankroll before starting them. It's easy to have streaks where you don't cash for 30+ in a row.. so I need my bankroll to be able to withstand it.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. In the AQ hand, I'm raising more preflop. A min raise isn't going to chase anyone out of the pot (the opps get odds to draw at you). My standard 3-bet size is to between 3X the opp's last bet and a pot-sized raise.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:17 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
If it feels like steam is coming out of your ears (or you can feel the pulse in your neck) then you're on tilt. Recognising this is crucial to conserving your bankroll, because playing tilted/steaming will lead to bad decisions. When this happens, I recommend you to take a break, go and get some fresh air, or do something not related to poker for a while.
Everyone has bad runs of cards (either being card dead, or missing every flop, or hitting big, but losing to bigger). There's not a lot you can do about that. But what you can do something about is noticing when you're not on your A-game. As bear says, it can last for weeks, but there's plenty of time to take a step back and analyse your play.
You don't HAVE to start stealing more often, or 3-betting light, or anything sexy like that (although these plays may be profitable). You just have to remain patient and disciplined. Poker is one long session. If you're not getting the cards/good situations today, then maybe you will be tomorrow.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:20 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Thats exactly what im doing its just im not hitting with the majority of premium hands and when i do i cant seem to build a pot at the moment, does everyone get this problem at some point they have a good run then miss everything, this is why i lost my bankroll on previous sites but this time im keeping my cool and playing with a short stack until i get a good run again.
Yes! It does happen to everyone. If I had more time to play right now, it would happen to me weekly! The trick is keeping your head clear during both the really good times and the really bad.

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:40 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
If it feels like steam is coming out of your ears (or you can feel the pulse in your neck) then you're on tilt. Recognising this is crucial to conserving your bankroll, because playing tilted/steaming will lead to bad decisions. When this happens, I recommend you to take a break, go and get some fresh air, or do something not related to poker for a while.
Everyone has bad runs of cards (either being card dead, or missing every flop, or hitting big, but losing to bigger). There's not a lot you can do about that. But what you can do something about is noticing when you're not on your A-game. As bear says, it can last for weeks, but there's plenty of time to take a step back and analyse your play.
You don't HAVE to start stealing more often, or 3-betting light, or anything sexy like that (although these plays may be profitable). You just have to remain patient and disciplined. Poker is one long session. If you're not getting the cards/good situations today, then maybe you will be tomorrow.

hehehe i know what you mean im not gonna be doing no tilting this time, i started with 2 dollars on 888 and fulltilt before pokerstars and i built 50 dollars up on 888 and 60 odd on fulltilt which i lost due to getting really annoyed with losing with strong hands

I think il just keep playing but im just gonaa use a small stack double up and leave the table and start again instead of using a big stack getting a nice hand and losing big il just build it up nice and slow until i start getting some nice boards again then il put a bigger stack on the table

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:45 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi mike2198!

Those streaks are going to happen. It's why bankroll management is so important. I went thru a streak of it for over 3 months last summer.... it's going to happen to everyone.

As an example, I play mostly tourneys and before I play at a given level, I want to have 100 buy-ins in my bankroll before starting them. It's easy to have streaks where you don't cash for 30+ in a row.. so I need my bankroll to be able to withstand it.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. In the AQ hand, I'm raising more preflop. A min raise isn't going to chase anyone out of the pot (the opps get odds to draw at you). My standard 3-bet size is to between 3X the opp's last bet and a pot-sized raise.

Yh normally i would of re raised 3x there but with the bad run i had i was abit worried about even a re raise lol but yh i know what your saying thanks for the help

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:11 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mike2198!

When going thru a downswing. The one thing that you do not want to do is to let it affect your game in any way. Changing your bet amounts due to it is only going to compound the problem, as then the opps will either get the correct odds to draw or if the bets are raised, the better hands won't get paid off. Both of which will cost us value and prolong the downturn.

Hang in there and play your game... if you can't do that, then take a break for a day or 2, then get back at it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:19 PM
(#11)
Never thought of it like that john i better start upping my pre flop bets again then

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:22 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
check out this article on downswinging: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=25645

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:27 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Never thought of it like that john i better start upping my pre flop bets again then
It's a good strategy if your a psychic... otherwise not so much.

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:48 PM
(#14)

Do you think i should of slow played this?

Old
Sun Mar 31, 2013, 01:51 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mike!

With trips on a board with a possible straight or flush draw, I'm basically never slow-playing. Slow playing online can lead to big problems.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:19 AM
(#16)

these are the sort of traps this games trying to suck me into i could of easily got all in on the turn for this calling station to river a flush, luckily enough i got out on the flop

ive had another run of bad luck again since yesterday ive had 5 pocket aces all of which i have lost, 2 hands i lost in a row which were pocket aces, im glad i had a short stack lol. I cant believe the luck im having tho i had 7 vp on two tables earlier to eventually get a nice hand i 3 bet everyone folds and i had premium hands three times in a row and they all fold!!! i swear i get dealt good cards they must all be holding 2 7 and this was on a loose table where these guys wernt 3 betting they were 4 betting and getting all in

oh well i guess 30 cent up is better than the 6 dollars or so down mess i could of got myself into hehe

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:13 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
You lost with pocket AA 5 times and still ended up with a 30c profit? Sounds like you are doing something right! I lost with AA 5 times in one night before and it cost me a lot!

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#18)

My luck is back lol im winning every hand i get involved in again

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 01:59 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
You were lucky in that last hand that villain was bad enough to call off his stack with jacks. Your shove is such a massive overbet that you can only have a set or AKcc. I'm folding an overpair there every time, and probably writing "You have 77, I fold AA" in the chatbox too. You could have made it $1.50 so you're more sure of getting called, as villain will be committed to stacking off on the turn anyway.

As for the 96s hand, that's results-oriented thinking. You should definitely be folding on the flop. You would have been in the lead on the turn, but you should focus on making good decisions, not thinking about what might have happened if you stayed in the hand.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:41 PM
(#20)
what do you mean fold AA in the chat box? and the reason i put all my chips in was because i was worried about those clubs i was actually intending on making him fold on the flop lol. so do you think if i raised it to 1 50 on the flop he would of folded clubs? because ive seen so many players today getting all in to try and river a flush, i seen this fish lose 4 dollars then go from 80c to 6 dollars all on luck earlier mainly by hitting ace flushes that's what made me think on that flop im all in lol

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com