Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hello,

I would like to participate in the bankroll builder promotion please.

Thanks.

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:40 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello Sheytan23,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Play Money hand replayed - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:13 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar

Old
Done! - Fri Apr 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Hey again,

Just wanted to let you know that I have just passed the quiz and I have completed the all three steps mentioned in your reply.

Looking forward to your response!

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 07:27 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Sheytan23!

With KQs from the SB, there are 5 limps. I'm going to make a standard raise here, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 5 limpers, I'll raise to 8BB or 80. I want to keep all of my raises standard, so that I can help to conceal the strength of my hand. I also would like to try to get some of the opps to fold, as I'm out of position.

I flop top pair with 2nd kicker with 3 opps. When it checks to me, I'm going to make my standard value bet which for having 3 opps is 3/4 pot. However, this is the overwhelming majority of my chips, so what I will do here is to shove the flop. If I'm going to be pot-committed, I want to be the first one to shove.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant Sheytan23!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
wrong play? - Sat Apr 27, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar

Old
Reasons for a player to make a big bet - Sat Apr 27, 2013, 09:37 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
1-To put a lot of pressure on an opponent
2-To bluff players off decent hands.
3-To gain value from very strong hands.

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 10:52 AM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 12:32 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Sheytan23!

This is quite a strange hand, which is often the case in blind vs blind battles, because villains never seem to believe you have a hand in these seats.
Villain limps in the SB, and you make a nice raise. This is good, because when someone just completes the blind, they're usually a bad player (limping is a weak play) and they have a weak hand. While A9 is far from a monster, it's way ahead of a SB limper's range. I'd actually raise any playable hand in this situation, because villains will limp-fold often, and even when they call, you have position and the initiative.
As played, villain calls the raise and the flop comes AQ2. Villain checks and you check behind. When you have more experience and have good reads/notes on players, this can be a good play, because it's hard to get called by much worse if you bet. Since you want to get value for your top pair, average kicker, it may be best to wait until the turn and river to start your betting. By checking, villain will think you don't have an ace, so he's more likely to put money in the pot on later streets with a worse pair. That's basically what happens here. The problem with checking for deception (which is a kind of slowplay) is that it can put you in tricky spots on later streets. Villain might suck out for free, which is the last thing you want. It also misses value when villain has a hand that would have called a flop bet. You'll generally be better off if you avoid fancy plays and just bet your hand for value on the flop. Villain will fold often, but betting makes the hand much easier to play.

So you check behind and see a king on the turn. While this is a good card to get some value from, you have to be worried that villain just made two pairs or a straight. He decides to minbet here, so it seems he's still weak with one pair or a draw. Your value-raise is fine here, as you're usually winning, and villain will call with worse.
The river is horrible. That jack means that villain has you crushed if he has a lousy 10. If he doesn't have a straight, it's pretty likely he just made two pairs, because hands like QJ/KJ are very common hands in BvB situations.
When villain donks out pretty big here, I'm going to fold. There just aren't many hands you beat here. Since villain bet more than the pot, he'd have to be bluffing very often for you to make this a profitable call. To me, it looks more like he has the nuts and wants to get maximum value.
Generally speaking, when a villain leads out on the river after check-calling all the way, he was on a draw and it completed on the river. The line villain took here is hardly ever a bluff.

You make a hero call and it turns out villain just had a king, so you won the pot. I'm really surprised by this. Although the river card was a quite a good card to bluff (4 connected cards should scare you off top pair or even two pairs), I think villain didn't need to bet so big. His hand had some showdown value, so if he thought his king was good, he could just check-call once more.

On the whole, you played this hand well, but it got really tricky because of your slowplay on the flop. To save you from having tricky river decisions, you're probably better off just betting the flop in the standard manner. If you define your hand, then villain is unlikely to bluff. He'll only put a big bet in with the nuts. With the line you took, it's really hard to know if you are right or wrong to call on the river. This time, your call was right, but much of the time on boards like this, calling with one pair will be very wrong.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 12:28 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Hello,

Big thanks for the lengthy and informative response..It really does help
Just wanted to add that half the call was based on the fact knowing that the player I was up against used to bluff a lot and a few hands later I took the rest of his stack. But I still think you're right.It's better not to slow play..especially on boards like this.

thanks again
best regards!

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 10:10 AM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Sheytan23!

Please let me know when you have passed the cash game quiz.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Hello - Wed Jun 12, 2013, 11:46 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Hello again,

I wanted to let you know that I have just passed the cash games quiz..sorry it took some time..been very busy!

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks

Old
Fri Jun 14, 2013, 07:55 AM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheytan23 View Post
Hello again,
I wanted to let you know that I have just passed the cash games quiz..sorry it took some time..been very busy!
Hope to hear from you soon
Thanks
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 12:52 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 12:54 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
VIP and FPP are the same right?

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:45 PM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
VIP and FPP are the same right?
Hi Sheytan23!

They are different, as the higher vip levels can get more fpp's per vpp, but for bronzestars, they are very similar.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 02:43 PM
(#19)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:

Hi Sheytan23

You were a bit unlucky postflop losing to lesser pairs that flopped sets. It happens and is part of poker unfortunately. Try not to stress the results.

However, preflop I strongly recommend 4-betting rather than calling. Big pairs play best against a single opponent. Calling as you did with the blinds and the origninal raiser left to act does increase the risk that several players will call which decreases your odds of winning. AA is the best starting hand, but it is just a pair. Similar to your previous hand that Arty looked at, you don't want to slowplay at 2NL.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 10:24 AM
(#20)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com