Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hey there, keen to start building up a bankroll

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:26 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:49 AM
(#3)
Hi pockettones,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Playing Aces - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:23 PM
(#4)
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I was UTG with aces, made a standard raise to 4BB but ended up with 6 callers. I think this was my 2nd or 3rd hand, so I didn't have any reads on the players. Knowing they would be so loose, I might have raise to 10-20BB or simply shipped it all in. Likewise I guess I could have reraised higher on the flop. I think I overplayed my aces by going all in on the turn where a flush was present but knowing how loose the other guys seemed to be I guess I was hoping the they were overplaying a mediocre holdings, and I wanted to shut down any possibilities of a 4th diamond on the river making my top pair insignificant. I guess I should have just flat called the turn being out of position in face of a possible flush, but I was fairly sure any standard bets would have been called so this wouldnt have helped me push players holding a diamond out of the pot.

I've finished the poker basics course as well as the cash game, stt and mtt course.

Last edited by pockettones; Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 05:55 AM..

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 09:43 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi pockettones!

With AA (or any other hand that I want to enter the pot first with), I will make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With no limpers, I will raise to 3BB or 6 chips.

I see a 6-way flop that has a flush draw available and an opp leads into me for 6, an abnormally small bet. I'm going to value raise to hopefully get some opps to fold and to give as many as possible the wrong odds to draw to a diamond flush. I'll size my bet at my standard for this many opps, a pot-sized raise to 60. If I bet less and multiple call me and someone does hit the flush, it's not that the opp gets lucky, it's MY OWN fault for giving them the right odds to try to beat me.

The turn completes the diamond flush and adds to the straight draws possible. Here, I'm in the same situation when the opp leads into me for 50. I either need to make a pot-sized raise, which would pot-commit me meaning that I can't just raise, I need to shove.. or I need to fold. Unfortunately, by betting so small on the flop, this puts me in a really bad situation on the turn, as I don't know whether I have the best hand or not and I don't want to fold the best hand. I'm absolutely cringing here, but I'm going to shove the turn and hope nobody hit the flush.

Unfortunately, two opps end up ahead of me. If I had made a better bet on the flop, then it would have been a negative play for them to call my bet and if they want to call a bet where they expect to lose chips to chase... that's what I want as I'll gain chips on average. However, by betting too small, I gave the opp the correct odds to draw, so it's my own fault that I lost the hand as I gave them a positive play to call my bet.

The keys here are bet sizes and to always keep them standard, based on the amount of the blind pre-flop and based on the size of the pot post-flop. I don't want to make abnormally large nor small bets, I want to keep them standard, as abnormally large or small ones turn my cards face-up to an observant opp.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:05 PM
(#6)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 01:12 AM
(#7)

Me slowplaying a flopped set with pocket 7s on a dry board with an ace.

Big bets are used to protect against strong draws, push opponents off decent hands and to gain value from strong hands.

Edit: I have passed the cash quiz.

Last edited by pockettones; Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 10:45 AM
(#8)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Please let us know when you've passed the cash quiz.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old
Thu Apr 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi pockettones! Let's take a look at this 77 hand.

If this was a full table, then I'd recommend folding 77 pre-flop in early position, but here there are several empty seats, so you're only 2 seats away from the button. Pocket 7s is just about strong enough to play here.
Since this hand is good enough to play, it's good enough to raise. You want to put all the villains to a decision, and get value when you probably have the best hand. Open-limping (calling the blind) is a weak play, because it gives opponents a very cheap price to see if they can hit the flop. The big blind can even check his option and see a flop for free, and you don't want that, because the flop will often bring overcards to your pair. If villains have weak or speculative hands (like 44, 76s, A5s) then you want to charge them for trying to beat your hand. You should make a standard raise to 3bb (6c), which will mean:
* You often win the blinds (which adds 3c to your stack without you even showing your hand).
* It's more likely you'll get heads up (it's easier to beat one opponent than several).
* Enable you to make a good fold if someone makes a re-raise, because they can only 3-bet with a super-strong hand like QQ+/AK.
* Follow up your pre-flop raise with a continuation bet on the flop, which is likely to take it down even if you missed.

When you limp in, it's much harder to put villains on a range, as they could call - or even raise - with junk and make a random straight or two pairs that you never suspected.

As played, you limp in and don't get raised, so you see a flop 4-handed. The A74r (rainbow, no flush draw) is great for you, as you made a set, which is a very strong hand. Villain bets 6c into 8c and you decide to flat call as a slowplay. I'm not fond of slowplaying big hands and there are 3 main reasons.
* You miss value by calling, because you could raise and get called by worse, leading to a bigger profit.
* Play on later streets can be tricky, because you haven't defined your hand or narrowed your opponent's range, so you don't know if you're ahead or behind when the board gets ugly.
* You give weaker hands and draws a good price to see future cards cheaply, meaning they can suck out with a straight/flush for a bargain price.

Although this flop is dry, I'm keen on raising the flop, because it contains an ace and villain is repping top pair. He's almost always calling a raise on the flop with Ax. With a set, you want to try and get all your stack in the middle and try and double up. You can't get $2 in the middle if you only put 6c in on the flop. The whole point of set-mining with small/medium pairs is that it's only profitable if you make a lot of money on the rare occasions you spike your set.

Two villains fold, so you're heads up in position on the turn. Villain bets about half pot on the blank 3d. I'm definitely raising now. Villain clearly has at least a pair of aces, but maybe two pairs. He's also got a big stack. You want to try and win a big chunk of it! Just calling means this pot is remaining fairly small. You have a big hand, so should try and win a big pot.
The river is a 4, giving you a full house. You're only losing to quads and AA (which is extremely unlikely, since villain didn't raise pre). Villain bets about half pot again and you finally put in a raise. You make it 50c, which isn't much more than a minraise. It's more standard to make your raises 2.5 or 3 times the size of the first bet, as this gets value and (on earlier streets) charges the right price to it a mistake for drawing hands to call. If villain is calling a raise to 50c here, he's probably calling 60c.

You dragged the pot here, but I definitely think you missed some value. Next time you flop a set on an ace-high board, try raising immediately. You'll usually win a much bigger pot, and if villain makes two pairs you'll often win his whole stack.

For more advice on pre-flop strategy and value-betting, you might like to subscribe to my blog, because I'm currently writing a step-by-step guide for beginners to cash games.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old
Thu Apr 25, 2013, 04:20 PM
(#10)
Hi pockettones,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 25, 2013, 09:39 PM
(#11)
Thanks, that was really helpful, next time I'll definitely get more value out of strong hand like that by not slow playing the flop. Your reasons for raising also make lots of sense.

I know that particular player was very aggressive and quite loose so I think a flat call on the flop was justified in case he missed with a random broadway hand to entice him to fire again on the turn, but if he does that it's pretty certain he has the ace and raising all in would be the correct course. I guess under-raising strong hands is a hole in my game as I worry I get folded to so I will miss out of lots of value from loose players at micro-limits.

Edit: This was meant to be posted as a reply to Arty, I tried to delete and repost but could not delete the post :s

Last edited by pockettones; Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 03:54 AM
(#12)
Hey there, I have collected 10VPPS with the last bonus dealt out.

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 11:12 PM
(#13)
Hi pockettones,

The system is not showing 10 VPPs since your last bonus was awarded. Only the points collected following that bonus count toward the next bonus, which will be released automatically by the system when the next 10 VPPs are earned. As of right now your account is not showing 10 VPPs in total.

Keep playing to earn those VPPs and if you should lose your bankroll, please post your losing hand here.
Good luck at the tables,

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com