Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

bankroll builder

Old
bankroll builder - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Thank you pokerschoolonline.

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:44 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
The pairs. - Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:39 PM
(#4)

Many times I got a small pairs. This time I think it's only my luck.
What should really do if I got a small pair such as 2,2 3,3.
Which one should be best strategy.

Old
Is this take too much risk? - Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#5)

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 07:58 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:07 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Kanizaki!

With 99 in the BB, when everyone limps, I'm going to check and see a free flop to try and hit a set. If I did raise, then I would need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 4 limpers, I would need to raise to 7BB or 70. I do not want to make abnormally large nor small raises nor bets. I want to keep them standard so that the opps are continually guessing at the strength of my hand. If I'm first to enter a pot with a pair, I'm either making a standard raise or I'm folding them. Anything in-between says to my opps that I have a weak hand.
The next opp makes a min-raise that is called by everyone. Here, I have 2 decisions I can make. The overwhelming majority of the time I will call and see the flop. If I raise, then I must make a standard raise, which is to between 3X the previous bet (90) and a pot-sized raise (170). With multiple opps, I'd tend to go toward the top end of this and raise to 170. Once again, I do not want to do something in the middle because I'm giving the opps a play where they expect to gain chips by calling.

I flop bottom set on a board with a possible made straight and straight draws. When it checks to me, due to the number of opps in the hand, I need to make a pot-sized value bet here of 200. I want my bets to be based on the pot size and not off of the BB. I also do not want to make a smaller bet than this here, as the opps will be expecting to gain chips from calling me due to getting the correct odds.
I then get raised and now I once again need to make a pot-sized raise to 270. I do not want to bet less, as the opps expect to gain chips from MY bets if I do so.

I hit quads on the turn and I'm going to lead out here for 3/4 pot (240 chips), as I want to keep my bets standard. I do not want to bet lower than this unless I check... which I could also do here. I'd rather bet though, so that I can set up a pot-size that makes it easy for me to shove the river.

On the river, I'll make another 3/4 pot bet (330 chips). Due to making abnormally small bets up until now, I can't make a reasonable shove on the river, which is costing me chips! When I get raised, I'm re-raising whatever amount I think that the opps will call, which will be at least 1/2 the size of the pot, if not more.

The huge key with this hand is to make standard bets both preflop and postflop!
-----------
With Q2o in the BB, everyone limps. This hand is bad enough that I need to instantly fold it if another opp raises it and I do not want to put a single chip into this pot if I don't have to, since my hand is total garbage.

I see top pair on the flop and I will make my one play to try to win the pot here by making a pot-sized bet of 165. If I'm raised, I'm folding. If I'm called, I won't put another chip into the pot unless my hand improves.

Once again, the keys here are to not raise with bad hands and to make standard bets. Making abnormally small bets will make players lose more and more hands than they should due to giving the opps the correct odds to draw to beat them.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 05:01 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Please let me know as soon as you have passed the Poker Basic course.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Question? - Fri Apr 05, 2013, 09:17 AM
(#9)
"If I did raise, then I would need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper."
What is "standard raise" and "BB"? Is that small bet and big blind?

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 11:22 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanizaki View Post
"If I did raise, then I would need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper."
What is "standard raise" and "BB"? Is that small bet and big blind?
BB = Big Blind, so if your playing 1/2 cent tables the Small Blind is 1 cent and the Big Blind is 2 cent.

A standard raise would be 3 times the Big Blind.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Huray - Sat Apr 06, 2013, 09:51 AM
(#11)
I just passed an Quiz. Anyway, Is it too hard for beat the tournament?
I have tried it many times but never reach the ticket or the prize.
How much skill somebody need to obtain for pass it?

Old
Sat Apr 06, 2013, 11:46 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I just passed an Quiz. Anyway, Is it too hard for beat the tournament?
I have tried it many times but never reach the ticket or the prize.
How much skill somebody need to obtain for pass it?
Remember, tournaments DO NOT COUNT for this promotion as it's a Cash Game promotion only

Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Too fast for bet? - Sun Apr 07, 2013, 08:12 PM
(#13)

I don't think this was the right decision to bet and other player also rised.
So I think this is a wrong play, I just lucky, Right?

Old
Stop after flop - Sun Apr 07, 2013, 08:16 PM
(#14)

This one I think I folded in the right time but was it to lame for bet since start with this hand?

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 08:19 PM
(#15)

I think I should bet before showdown because he didn't rise. Or shouldn't risk in this one?

Old
How to know? - Sun Apr 07, 2013, 08:30 PM
(#16)
How to calculate % of wining from the card that I hold?
I saw in vedio but still don't understand how is it work?

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 05:51 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 12:25 PM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Kanizaki! I'll take a look at these hands for you.

Firstly I noticed that there are several empty seats on your table. When the game is short-handed like this, your strategy should change a lot, as the PSO tutorials are written on the basis that you'll be playing a tight style 9-handed. If there are more than 2 empty seats, the tight strategy doesn't work, because the blinds come round so often, so just leave the table and find one with one empty seat, or add your name to a waiting list.

Post #13: You have A2 offsuit in the CO. This is not really a playable hand. In fact, players lose more money with A2 than any other hand. (72 and 32 are worse starting hands, but they are easy to fold pre-flop. A ace looks playable, but the terrible kicker will get you into trouble and cost you money). You should definitely fold when villain re-raises pre-flop, because he has you beat. You certainly got lucky on the river here. At every stage of the hand, you made bad decisions. With just one pair on the flop and turn, the best play you can make is to just call and hope villain is betting with a worse hand or draw. Raising will usually mean you only get action from hands that are beating you.

#14. Now you're 3-handed, QT is just about playable, but there is a raise. I'd just fold here, because you are in the worst possible position (the small blind) and will have to check-fold most flops. Even if you make a pair, it will be hard to make any money, because when you bet, a villain can fold. At least you folded on the flop, since you had complete air.

#15. Here you have KT in the big blind, and you're facing a minraise by the small blind. Since the price is cheap and you have position on him, you can sometimes call, but don't make a habit of this in a full ring game. You should be folding marginal hands like this very often. You call and the flop is 986. All you have on this board is two overcards. That is a very weak holding. If villain has one pair, you don't have many outs. He could even have a straight, meaning you're drawing dead. Villain bets, so he probably has something here. Your hand might have looked playable pre-flop, but it doesn't now. When you miss the flop, you should fold at the first opportunity. Calling bets on the flop and turn when you have king high is a big leak. Notice also that the turn card is another 9. If villain bet the flop with top pair, he now has trips. You cannot beat trips whatever the river is, so fold. Also, don't even consider bluffing until you've got much more post-flop experience. While a bet on the river could represent a flush, villain will probably still call. Don't put money in the pot when it's very likely you have the worst hand.

Quote:
You can watch the video again, or read the instructions at http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...f-Two-and-Four but I'll give you some quick tips to remember.

With a bare flush draw (no overcards to the board), you have 9 outs. 9*2 = 18% chance of making the flush on the next card.
With an open-ended straight draw, you have 8 outs. 8*2 = 16% chance of making the straight on the next card.
With two overcards (like the KT on 986 flop you played), you have 6 outs that will make top pair. 6*2= 12% chance of making a pair on the next card.
With a gushot straight draw, you have just 4 outs. 4*2 = 8% chance of hitting on next card.

Generally speaking, you should never be calling a bet on the flop if you have less than 8 outs. If you just have overcards or a gutshot, make a good fold. If you have an open-ended straight draw or a flush, then you can usually call a bet on the flop (especially if it's a small bet), because you have 8 or 9 outs. But be more careful on the turn. If villain bets big, you often don't have good odds to call.
Occasionally, you'll flop a very big draw. If you had Jh Th and the board is Kh Qh 4s, then you have a flush draw and an open-ended straight draw, giving you a whopping 15 outs. With a flop like that, you're usually more likely to win the hand than someone who already has top pair.

While you're still a beginning player, I don't recommend you play many "drawing hands" like QT or 76s. While you'll flop a good draw occasionally, it can be very costly to keep chasing them. After all, even a flush draw on the flop is only going to complete by the river about 36% of the time. You don't want to play a big pot when you're going to lose it more often than 60% of the time!
Try and stick with the PSO hand recommendations, so you'll usually be trying to make top pair or a set. If you flop anything worse than top pair, you should usually fold. Also, when you have top pair, you can make decent bets that a villain with a draw will call. Since he won't hit the draw very often, you make money from him.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Please let me know when you pass the Cash Game course and I'll ge your next bonus to you

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Play money - Wed May 01, 2013, 04:38 AM
(#20)
What will happen if my play money ran out?
Will it be refill?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com