Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2N Ring Game - QQ play on AQ4 flop

Old
2N Ring Game - QQ play on AQ4 flop - Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:19 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

Newbie in the game, only recently started playing cash games after spending a month in freeroll tourneys

This is a typcial hand I've lost plenty of times with. Pocket queens with a flop that gives me the set, but also an overcard.

Villain is mostly unknown. Play in hands before appeared aggresive but not overly loose.

But how do you know when to hold on to QQ and when to fold? Should or could I have played this hand differently? The size of his raise post-flop threw me a bit.

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
It looks good to me.

It is very dependent on the type of player Villain 5 is If this is the first hand he has rerasised in the last few hours then yes we need to be wary of AA, But against the average Joe in the 1/2 cent game the range of hands he could hold ie AA-TT or AK-AJs mean that if they want to get it all in Here I'm more than happy to get all the money in the middle.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 01, 2013, 07:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
This is a spot that relies heavily on stats/reads, but you have to make your decision pre-flop.
You raised UTG, repping a very strong range, like TT+ AK, AQs. There's a call, which is fine. You're way ahead of a caller's range. The button makes a solid 3-bet.
If this villain was a solid positionally-aware full ring player (there aren't many at 2NL), he should only be 3-betting with QQ+ here, but there are a lot of 2NL players that automatically 3-bet AK every time they have it, and it makes my eyes bleed when they show up with AK in this spot. (They should be flat-calling 100% of the time, because 3-betting folds out all the hands AK was beating). If villain is nitty, then the correct play is to fold, as you're crushed by KK+. If he's looser or auto 3-bets AK, then I prefer a 4-bet. You're out of position and need to regain the initiative. It's also good if villain folds and you collect all that dead money. Once you've 4-bet, you're committed to stacking off either pre-flop, or on the flop. (If you make a set or an overpair, you have to get it in, because of the stack to pot ratio).

The funny thing is that when you flat call the 3-bet, your hand is face up. You have JJ or QQ every time. With those hands, players always seem to think "It's too good to fold, is crushed by KK+, but might be good vs AK, so I think I'll call". Calling just gets you into trouble on the flop, as you still haven't narrowed villain's range.
Here you called and flopped a set. I'm always getting my money in there. Villain will show up with aces sometimes, but most of the time you're crushing AK and getting maximum value from it.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:03 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Thank you for the comments.
Rewatching the hand a few times before I posted it here, I already felt just calling the re-raise pre-flop was a mistake. Either accept that Villain5 has a stronger hand and fold, or continue the agression and 4-bet and commit to the pot. The way I played it shows exactly how I felt, having been beat by it too many times in freerolls: uncertain.

What do you make of the size of his raise post-flop? Can anything be read from that?
Up to then, play on the table was mostly standard betting 3 to 4 BB

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 09:04 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Villain's sizing pre-flop and post-flop bets are fairly standard for a reg at these stakes, although they are on the large size.
Pre-flop, a normal 3-bet in position would be 3x the original raise (to make it 18c), but since there was a caller, a 4x size (24c) is OK.
On the flop, you bet 24c into 75c to make the pot 99c. Villain raised to $1.14 and I presume he used a hotkey for 3/4 pot to come up with this amount. It's a committing bet, and it appears he's doing this for value, expecting you to call with worse (though you never call with worse than AK here!), but he could have induced you to shove by making it 65 or 70c, as you were shorter stacked than him. If you'd been equally deep, then I'd prefer him to raise to 90c (one third of his stack), leaving $1.80 behind (the other two thirds) for shoving the turn.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: typo corrections

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com