Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Cool
Bankroll Builder - Tue Apr 02, 2013, 02:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
WhiteStar
I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion...

Old
Tue Apr 02, 2013, 03:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr8t8n8t8 View Post
I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion...
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 09:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#4)
WhiteStar
I know this is playmoney and that people are raising to much... but if this would be real money should I fold at a raise or did I play it right?

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:26 PM
(#5)
WhiteStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flophitter View Post
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter
I have completed all 3 above steps...

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#6)
Thanks for that, we'll have the hand analysis done shortly.

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#7)
Hi again, we notice that our system's not showing your Poker Basics pass, if you're sure you did pass it, please drop a line to support@pokerschoolonline.com and the techs will check into it. Meanwhile your hand analysis is in process

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:11 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi pr8t8n8t8!

With 77 from UTG, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With one limp (the player that posted and should have wait for the BB), I'll raise to 4BB or 40. When I'm the first to get into a pot, if I'm not happy making a standard raise with a hand I need to fold it and not open-limp. Open-limps are very exploitable by better players and I don't want to be handing them free chips.

I then get a raise, call and abnormally large 3-bet. When it gets back to me, with only a marginal middle pair here, I need to fold. There are too many opps in the pot that are betting too much for me to call. Also, a call would make me pot-committed (put over 1/3 of my chips into the pot), so I really couldn't even just call here, I'd need to shove... something I don't want to do into a multi-way pot with a marginal hand.

I would be making a note on the two opps that had nothing, espeically the one that made the abnormally large raise with a trash hand like 68o.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#9)
WhiteStar
Quote:
Hi again, we notice that our system's not showing your Poker Basics pass, if you're sure you did pass it, please drop a line to support@pokerschoolonline.com and the techs will check into it. Meanwhile your hand analysis is in process
After some technical difficulties I was able to complete Poker Basics Quiz...

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:23 PM
(#10)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 02:04 PM
(#11)
WhiteStar
Quote:
List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?
1.: to put a lot of pressure on opponents
2.: to protect against very strong draws
3.: to gain value from very strong hands

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 02:17 PM
(#12)
WhiteStar
Was this the right thing to do?

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 02:19 PM
(#13)
WhiteStar
Quote:
So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.
I have done all that...

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
(#14)
WhiteStar

Is this the right play? I'm sticking to Pre-Flop Essentials chart and I'm getting a filling I wont play very much hands... is this right?

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 02:36 PM
(#15)
WhiteStar
Another interesting hand:

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 02:44 PM
(#16)
WhiteStar
Was this fold ok?

Old
Sat Apr 06, 2013, 02:21 PM
(#17)
WhiteStar
I have completed all 3 steps...

Old
Sat Apr 06, 2013, 02:44 PM
(#18)
Great thanks for posting the hands, we'll provide the analysis here soon, followed by your next steps.

Old
Sat Apr 06, 2013, 04:30 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi pr8t8n8t8! Forgive me for the wall of text, but there's some useful information to be learned from this bunch of hands. I hope you like the analysis.

It's definitely a good idea to play tight, because only a small proportion of hands are profitable. You should be folding pre-flop 80-90% of the time. When you play a stronger starting range, you'll generally have a stronger hand post-flop, so the looser/weaker players will usually have worse. We make most of our money by having stronger hands than the bad players, so try and stay disciplined. Tight is right.

1. With QTs in the big blind, there is a raise by the button. He could be stealing with a wide range, some of which you beat, so I'd sometimes call here, but QT (suited or otherwise) is a tricky hand to play out of position, because when it makes top pair, it only has an average kicker that is dominated by AQ/KQ/QJ etc. While you're still new to to real money games, folding to the raise is fine. It's best to fold early on for a minimal loss than to get into a tricky spot later on, and possibly lose your stack. You should play particularly tight in the blinds for now, because these are the worst positions to be in.

2. ATs is a decent hand, and if it was folded to me in the SB, I'd be opening with a standard raise to 3bb (6c), but here there's a large raise (10c) before you, which usually indicates a monster like AK or TT+. Since the small blind seat is the worst of all, making a tight fold is the best play for you here. Notice that the big blind came over the top with a re-raise. Your hand would be in terrible shape against the standard 3-betting range of QQ+ and AK, so you definitely would have had to fold there. Here you got out before it got too expensive to play. Nice one.

3. With 99, you're in early position, but there are a couple of empty seats at this table. With only 6 players yet to act, 99 is just about strong enough to play. (I recommend a very tight range for this sort of situation. Something like 88+ AQ+, AJs, KQs.)
Since this hand is good enough to play, it's good enough to raise. You want to put all the villains to a decision, and get value when you probably have the best hand. Open-limping (calling the blind) is a weak play, because it gives opponents a very cheap price to see if they can hit the flop. The big blind can even check his option and see it for free, and you don't want that, because the flop will often bring overcards to your pair. If villains have weak or speculative hands (like 44, 76s, A5s) then you want to charge them for trying to beat your hand. You should make a standard raise to 3bb (6c), which will mean:
* You often win the blinds (which adds 3c to your stack without you even showing your hand).
* It's more likely you'll get heads up (it's easier to beat one opponent than several).
* Follow up your pre-flop raise with a continuation bet on the flop, which is likely to take it down even if you missed.
* Enable you to make a solid fold if someone makes a re-raise, because they can only 3-bet with a super-strong hand like QQ+/AK.

When you limp in, it's much harder to put villains on a range, as they could call or even raise with junk and make a random straight or two pairs that you never suspected.

As played, your limp leads to 3 players also seeing the flop. This is usually bad news, but you got a pretty flop this time. You have an overpair and a gutshot straight draw. It's unlikely anyone has a better overpair (e.g. TT) because they'd surely have raised pre-flop, but you have to be worried about sets of trips, made straights (64, 96) and straight draws (6x) and two pairs (87s). You can definitely get value from top pair hands (8x) and draws, including the flush draw, so betting is good here. If you'd raised pre-flop, the pot would be bigger, but here it's just 8c. Your bet-size of 6c is great. It is likely to be called by worse hands, but doesn't make it so cheap that you allow villains to suck out at a bargain price. The offsuit 6 on the turn is a great card for you, because you have the top end of the straight. While you don't have the nuts, it's unlikely someone does, because they'd have to have T9, and you've got two of the nines. With 4 connected cards on the board, it's hard to get called by worse here, but flush draws will certainly call. Two pairs will call too, hoping to make a boat. A random 4 probably also calls with the "idiot end" of the straight, even though it's drawing dead. 13c into 20c is another nice bet-size. It's not so big as to say "I have the nuts", because that would make worse hands fold, but it's perfect for getting called by the worse hands and draws I mentioned.
The river J is actually a complete blank, because the flush missed. It makes a better straight if villain has T9, but that hand was already beating you anyway, and you have to go broke with your hand on this board. Another bet of about 2/3 pot is a great value bet. Flush draws that missed are folding, but if a villain has a worse straight, a set or a two pairs, he's probably making a crying call. The replayer doesn't show villain's hand here, but I'd guess he called with one of those hands. I don't think you could have squeezed out another cent, so you got maximum value here. Your only mistake was just a small one: limping in pre-flop. Once you got there, you played perfectly. Well done!

4. With JJ on the button, you make a raise to 10c. I know you have a very strong hand, but I'd stick to the standard 3bb (6c) here, because I want to keep it disguised. Observant villains will fold hands as stong as KQ or QJs if they put you on a big pair, but you need them to call with worse in order for you to get value. The big blind calls and the flop is K87. You make a decent c-bet of 15c into 22c. This is a viable play. You often have the best hand and it needs protecting from overcards. Although you're currently beating hands like AQ, you're happy if they fold now, because another overcard on the turn puts you in a bad spot.
Another play would be to check in position on the flop and then bet safe turns, as you're more likely to get called by worse if you take that line. I think I prefer betting, however, as it makes the hand easier to play. Betting now also prevents villain bluffing you off your hand on the turn. (If you check, he knows you have no king, so he can represent one.)
While villain can call your c-bet with a straight draw (e.g. JT) here, he's often only calling the c-bet with a king or better, so you'd know your hand is beat and you can give up on the turn if you don't make a set. Here, villain check-raises. This is a big show of strength. At worst, villain has top pair. He's just as likely to have a set of 8s or 7s, or two pairs. Folding to the raise is fine, because villain's not bluffing, and he's bound to bet again on the turn. Well played.

You played very well in these hands. I see no reason why you can't become a long-term winner at these games if you stay disciplined and make good folds when it seems you're beat.

Good luck with the next stage of the promo!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old
Sat Apr 06, 2013, 06:45 PM
(#20)
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com