Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL zoom,slowplayed straight on turn, got checkraised on dry river

Old
2NL zoom,slowplayed straight on turn, got checkraised on dry river - Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Villain was 21/5 after 19 hands

After he donks the flop, I assign him straight/flush draws,top pair and sets except JJ, have about 30% equity in this spot so it's thin but still profitable call

I decided to give him a free card on turn hoping to extract more value from his weaker holdings, and give him a chance to bluff, when he misses.

The river checkraise from him gets me thinking about him having slowplayed sets and sometimes a bluff since I checked the turn ,so I jam, hoping to see 22,TT maybe Q9 and JK

Is the check on turn is correct? The river move? Or is it to marginal spot to play and should be a flop-fold?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by morduk666; Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 08:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Raise the flop imo, he will donk here with lots of worse hands that contain 1 diamond so charge him to draw. If he re-raises you, you can be pretty sure your behind and make an easy fold without investing too much. As played definately bet the turn, you have the second nuts and need value and protection, if a diamond hits your screwed so giving him a free card is terrible!

OTR I'm defintely betting for value but when he raises I would just call, your getting just under 4-1 and I think he will definately do this with worse hands that believe they're best such as JT/KJ/KT as well as the oddly played sets in his range. However if you re-raise what do you expect to be called by that's worse? Imo only the strongest hands in his range are calling, i.e. flushes.

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 11:11 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi morduk,

I think the flop call is marginal. The only turn card we like at all is the off suit king and even that can be drawing dead sometimes. And we won't be able to continue vs. a turn barrel without improvement, allowing us to get semi-bluffed sometimes as well.

On the turn I think we should always be betting here, giving a free card not what we want to do. A lot of his weaker holdings will give us value right here on the turn, but not give action on the river unless they improve to beat us. Hands like AdTs for example, is not going to call a river bet unimproved but with the nut flush draw and a gut shot will always give us value on the turn. Two pairs or sets won't like any diamond, A, Q, or 9 coming off and won't give action, but will call the turn. Get your value now while you still can.

The river check-raise is very disconcerting. I think the most likely possibilities are:

1) He has the flush
2) He's making a bluff because we checked the turn, and he things we're weak

Considering that the 2nd one isn't even a play in the arsenal of many players at these stakes, I think we are beat fairly often here. I wouldn't raise again as he will surely fold any bluffs to a raise anyway. I wouldn't fold either as he could be overvaluing a slightly worse hand considering the action sequence on the flop and turn, but it's somewhat of a crying call imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Raise the flop imo, he will donk here with lots of worse hands that contain 1 diamond so charge him to draw. If he re-raises you, you can be pretty sure your behind and make an easy fold without investing too much.
I don't like raising the flop, as I don't expect diamond draws or top pair to fold to it and we are basically bluffing with ace high without being able to get too many better hands to fold.. Against an aggressive player it sets up a nice semi-bluff reraise as well, so we can actually be folding the best hand sometimes to a re-raise.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com