Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl reg tables - TT vs tight BTN.

Old
10nl reg tables - TT vs tight BTN. - Wed Apr 03, 2013, 06:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
This hand seems a fairly standard spot but I'm still questioning it so I thought I'd post it.

I had been at the table for around 20-30 hands and hadn't tangled with the villain OTB yet, he'd been playing tight 15/09 I hadn't made any notes on him yet and his AF was low, <1 (small sample).

These are my post session notes on the hand.

The villain on the BTN had been playing tight so far so I didn’t see any value in 3betting, the flop was A high and although not an ideal board I think the villain will bet his entire range here so I think I can profitably call. I planned on x/f the turn but he checked back. I checked the river hoping to see a showdown and he bet around 2/3 pot.

I was in two minds over what to do. I felt he could be betting his air hands here as I’ve shown weakness, however I was unsure whether he would as he’d been fairly passive so far. I decided to fold as he would take this line with weak A’s and I didn’t mind folding and losing a small pot.

Bacially I'm unsure whether he bets hands such as K/Q/J high that haven't made a pair. I doubt he'd bet any pair other than an A as he would think he had showdown value.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Oli

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 10:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Oliver,

I think folding the river is fine. Remember the flop is totally dry so you don't have any draws in your flop calling range, it is all aces and pocket pairs. He probably has a middling ace a lot here, like AT or AJ that figures it can't get 3 streets from worse hands and when you check the river feels comfortable betting for value.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com