Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Wed Apr 03, 2013, 09:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 01:00 AM
(#3)
Hi Slammerman05,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Confusing Hand - Sat Apr 06, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#4)

Here's a hand that got me pretty confused.

Old
Another Hand - Sat Apr 06, 2013, 01:16 PM
(#5)

Here's another hand that didn't go very well.

Old
Steps Completed - Sat Apr 06, 2013, 07:49 PM
(#6)
I have completed all 3 steps. I shall be playing the play money tables until I receive further steps.

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 03:36 PM
(#7)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 08:00 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Slammerman05!

With KK, I get a min-raise and a call in front of me. I'm going to make a standard raise here, which is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise. Here, I'll go with the top end of this range and make a pot-sized raise to 15. I want to keep all of my raises standard so that the opps are continually guessing as to the strength of my hand. Many players bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones and this is something that I do NOT want to do, as it turns my cards face-up to an observant opp.
I then get a call, raise and very large raise and when it gets to me, with the 2nd best hand in NLHE, I'm going to call. If I had more chips, I'd re-raise here.
------------
With pocket 10's on the button, I get two limpers. Once again, I will make a standard open-raise which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With two limpers, I will raise to 5BB or 10 chips. Once again, I want to keep all of my bets standard to conceal the strength of my hand.

I see a flop with an underpair and when it folds to me, I'll once again make a standard bet based on having 3 opps. I will bet 3/4 pot (19 chips).

The turn is a blank and since I only have one opp, I'll use my standard bet for a HU pot of 1/2 pot (37 chips).

The river is an overcard and the passive opp now makes a huge overbet to the pot. While this could be a bluff, it's most likely a made hand (Q or possibly a slow-played 8) and due to this, I'm mucking to the overbet.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 08:29 PM
(#9)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Steps Completed - Mon Apr 08, 2013, 08:25 PM
(#10)

Here is the hand where I lost most of my bankroll.
I think I made two mistakes: I should have just called with my low pocket pair and I should have gone all in when I saw the turn, without waiting for the river to protect my hand.

I've also completed the cash game course and here are 3 reasons a player might want to make a big bet:
-To bluff
-To protect against strong draws
-To gain value for a very strong hand.

I hope to get feedback soon!

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 10:20 PM
(#11)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 03:51 AM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammerman05 View Post

Here is the hand where I lost most of my bankroll.
I think I made two mistakes: I should have just called with my low pocket pair and I should have gone all in when I saw the turn, without waiting for the river to protect my hand.

I've also completed the cash game course and here are 3 reasons a player might want to make a big bet:
-To bluff
-To protect against strong draws
-To gain value for a very strong hand.

I hope to get feedback soon!
Hi Slammerman05!

This was an interesting hand! In the future try to stick to full ring tables that are actually filled up. It makes it easier to be patient and wait for good hands. I suggest adjusting the Filter in the Holdem Lobby to only show tables with 8 players. That way when you join the table will be filled up. That's what I do

Opening with 44 is ok here. Normally, I would strongly suggest folding to the 3-bet. You are most likely behind and will definately have a hard time post flop unless you spike a set. In this spot, with the string of callers, you have great implied odds to call as you did. This hand is already getting expensive, but it is worth calling.

You miss the flop. You are facing 3 opponents. The board is paired and the K is in the range of all the opponents. In other words, this is not a good spot to bluff! Villain 2 leads out with a tiny bet of 4 cents into a pot of 72 cents. You have odds to call, but raising is a bad idea. Firstly, you are building a pot where it is highly unlikely that you have the best hand. Secondly, there are three players left to act. If any come over the top with a re-raise you will be forced to fold. Luckily they didn't.

You get your miracle card on the turn giving you a full house. You definately want to bet here, but you really should bet much more. With two opponents who seem to like thier hands, I would suggest betting about 70% of the pot. You are running out of chips though, so I would be half your stack with the intention of betting the rest on the river. So bet about 90 cents. This leaves you enough for a decent river bet. Betting small as you did allows too many weaker hands to stay in the action. You have a very strong hand, but it is still vulnerable. Bet now to protect your hand and to maximize your value. Remember, both opps are interested in this pot. At least one is likely to be willing to pay much more than 20 cents.

The river is horrible for you! Now anyone holding a K just got a better full house than yours. This situaion actually occurs enough to note it. Don't over value your hand in these spots! (This is similar to having a small pair counterfitted when two larger pairs come on the board.) Now, with the Ks on the board, ask yourself what might the villain be holding? Either they have a K and just crushed you, or they don't have a K and you are way ahead. Moreover, the K will scare them. This is important when choosing your bet size on the river.

By making your pot sized all-in bet, you created a situation in which you got value owned. This means all the hands you are beating will fold. This means you win less money than you could have had you bet small. Furthermore, the only hands that will call such a large bet are the Ks that are beating you. This means you will lose much more than necessary! Personally I would have checked the river then called a small bet from the villain and folded to a large bet. His line all through the hand looks like he is holding a K.

This was an exciting hand and there is a ton to be learned from it.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 08:51 AM
(#13)
Hi,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Failed bluff - Wed Apr 17, 2013, 08:32 PM
(#14)

Here's a hand that almost gave me a headache. At first I raised to 3BB in an attempt to steal the blinds and only one player called. When he checked the flop, I tried to bluff him but when he check-raised all-in the river I decided to fold. Did I make a good move? I subsequently lost the rest of my bankroll even though I was close to 10 VPPs.

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 12:50 AM
(#15)

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:48 AM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Slammerman!

First of all, it looks like you posted your blinds out of turn. Don't do this. Since you'll be dealt an unplayable hand more than 80% of the time, you'll be throwing away 2c or 3c four times out of five. This money will add up over time and drain your bankroll. When you first join a table, click the "Wait until big blind before posting" option.

T9 is a fair enough hand to try and steal the blinds with when you're on the button, but notice that the player UTG also limped into the pot. That means that if you raise, you require 3 players to fold, and you know for sure that UTG has some sort of playable hand. If you raise here, then it should be to 8c (3bb + 1bb for the limper), to deny the opponents good odds to see a flop. In this particular situation with this particular hand, I'd make a play I don't usually make, and that would be to over-limp, which means just calling the 2c. (Here you could just check, because you've already paid). You are in the best position with a speculative hand that sometimes flops a good draw, so if you can see a flop multiway for just 2c, you might hit the flop hard and get paid.
As played, you make it 6c, so UTG only has to call 4c, which he does so.
The flop is a dry A72 and there's 16c in the pot. This is a great flop for a c-bet, because there are no good draws. Villain either has an ace, a set of 7s or 2s, or he missed completely. Since we're bluffing here and we don't expect a call, we only need to bet a small amount to induce villain to fold with all the hands that missed. There's no need to bet full pot. A half pot bet of 8c on this board serves the same purpose. It also means you lose less if villain has you beat.
Villain calls the bet. That's surprising, but it means you can narrow his range tremendously. For him to call a pot-sized bet, he basically has to have a set or top pair. You have ten high, so you're way behind. I'll be "one and done" with regard to c-betting here. I'm not putting another cent in the pot when villain calls the flop.
The ace on the turn would usually be a good card to barrel (continue your aggression) because it would seem unlikely that villain has one. Here though, I think he just made a full house. Hands like 77 and 22 are very commonly limped in early position at 2NL.
When villain checks the turn, I'd just check. I'm giving up, because villain has me crushed. As played, you make another large bet of close to pot. This is again a big mistake. When bluffing, bet the smallest amount that you think is enough to make your opponent fold. Villain check-raises for value and you have to fold.

While I like your original plan of stealing the blinds, your plan should change if you get called and see a flop. If a villain's actions indicate he's not folding, then it's a big mistake to keep bluffing, especially if you use big bets. When attempting to steal the blinds, I like to play small pots. If I find I have a hand like ten high on the flop, I'm often giving up the pot as a steal gone wrong. You'll lose a lot of money if you try too hard to win pots with weak hands. It's better to cut your losses and try again another time.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
(#17)
Hi,

Since you have posted your losing hand, your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target.
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bad Beat - Sun Apr 21, 2013, 02:40 PM
(#18)

Here's a hand that almost put me on tilt.

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 05:15 PM
(#19)

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 06:19 PM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again Slammer!

KJ is just about strong enough to raise in this position (the "hijack" seat, just before late position). Your raise to 3bb is standard. Unfortunately, the big blind re-raises (3-bets) to 15c. Despite the fact you have position on him and only need to call 9c to see a flop, you should be folding here. Villains aren't 3-betting light (bluffing) often. His range is likely to be very strong, including hands like TT+ and AK. Your hand is crushed by that range, so calling is a mistake.
As played, you call and the flop comes QT5. This is one of the best possible flops for you, as you have an open-ended straight draw. If villain has a set of queens or tens, you have the kind of draw that can beat it. Villain does you a big favour by betting less than half pot here. This gives you a great price to draw a card and see if you can turn the nuts. That's exactly what happens. You make the nut straight. There are now two flush draws on the board, and villain is going to bet with all the hands he bet with on the flop, because every hand in his range AK/TT+ has at least a pair or a draw here.
Villain only bets about half pot here, and it's time for your raise. If villain has a set, an overpair or a flush/straight draw, you want to get maximum value. A flopped set will have 10 outs to a boat or quads, and those are the hands that are definitely calling. KK/AA overpairs are probably committed to calling all in too. So you shove for maximum value and villain calls.
He flips over TT, so did indeed flop a set, but he made a mistake by not betting bigger with it, so you sucked out at a bargain price. Now villain makes another mistake. He called a very large raise when he didn't have the right odds to do so. With 10 outs, he shouldn't be calling anything more than a pot-sized bet. Unfortunately for you, villain hits one of his outs and makes quads on the river.

Other than pre-flop, you didn't make any mistakes with this hand. Pre-flop, you should have folded to the 3-bet, because KJ is crushed by the standard 3-bet value range. Post-flop, you called when you had a good price to do so, then raised for maximum value when you turned the nuts. You got your money in good, which is about all you can do in poker. In the long run, your post-flop play here will have a positive outcome. In the short-run, the bad beats can be brutal, but just say "nice hand" and move on.

Better luck with the next stage of the promotion!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com