Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR ZOOM - AK vs Short Stack 3Bet Shove

Old
2NL FR ZOOM - AK vs Short Stack 3Bet Shove - Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hey guys

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

This guy was an unknown w/ a random stack. I couldn't say if he was a weak player or not but him being so short stacked I felt confident I was ahead of most of his shoving range.

I didn't think he had AA/KK here much of the times he does this so vs pocket pairs I should be doing OK in the long run. I decide to call since I'm pretty deep and losing a coin flip vs 75BB isn't the end of the world.

I don't know much about the complicated math with shoving ranges vs stacks and what not so I have to ask if I'm getting good EV here if he had say 150BB/200BB next time I run into a similar situation vs him, would it be profitable to call?

Last edited by Low Rated; Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: Just making it a bit shorter ~ OMG RIVERS A SET!!

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 08:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
To calculate whether you should call or not you have to use the pot odds you are getting to calculate the equity you need to call. Then you have to compare this to the equity you have against their range if you have the equity needed then it's a break even call and if you have more equity than required then it's a +EV call.

So first we compare the size of the pot with the size of the bet we must call, this is a reward to risk ratio. (pot odds)

In your hand you have to call $1.37 to win $2.93 (the pot size plus our call= $1.56 + 1.37). So compare the reward to risk...

$1.37/$2.93=0.468 Or 47%. So we have to have 47% against his range to call.

Now the next step is to compare our equity against the villains range. I have no experience at the FR 2nl talbles but from my experince at the 2nl 6M tables I think the villains range can be as wide as 66 and AJs... 66+,AJs+,AQo+

Using pokerstove we can calculate our equity against that range.

123,285,888 games 0.000 secs 24,657,177,600 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 51.390% 44.79% 06.60% 55213704 8142976.00 { 66+, AJs+, AQo+ }
Hand 1: 48.610% 42.00% 06.60% 51786232 8142976.00 { AcKd }

As you can see we have 48.61% equity so imo this is a +EV call.

Hope that helps

Oli

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 11:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Low Rated,

Quote:
I couldn't say if he was a weak player or not
I can.... he's a weak player.

At least, I have yet to see a strong player who sits with an odd stack like 72bb's, and shoves them all over a 4x open preflop.

I would always call off here with AK. Like you, I'm not sure he would do this with AA/KK, and I expect to see a lot of small and middling pairs here as well as big aces (AJs+, AQo+) and some % of weaker hands he's spazzing out with like A7s. AK plays well against this range.

If the effective stacks where 200 bb's it's fine to fold vs. a total unknown but I don't think you need to worry about it tbh, you'll generally only see this overbet shoving for the 3rd bet by shorter stacks, not super deep ones.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
from tha man himself, Frosty012...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhye...ature=youtu.be

Old
Thu Apr 04, 2013, 01:50 PM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2012
Quote:
So first we compare the size of the pot with the size of the bet we must call, this is a reward to risk ratio. (pot odds)

In your hand you have to call $1.37 to win $2.93 (the pot size plus our call= $1.56 + 1.37). So compare the reward to risk...

$1.37/$2.93=0.468 Or 47%. So we have to have 47% against his range to call.
Thanks for that . It seemed complicated but that's actually pretty simple. I only just noticed the odds calculator tool lol...

Quote:
I can.... he's a weak player.
LOL. Well I think its safe to assume so .

Quote:
from tha man himself, Frosty012...
This video is really good! AK can be a hard hand to play and this give some awesome insight, thanks .

Last edited by Low Rated; Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Learned how to Quote :S

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com