Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Cash

Old
Cash - Fri Apr 05, 2013, 05:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi

I have a question! I recently played in a cash game and I was faced with the following situation. Me, in position, stand with QQ. No raise before the flop so, the flop comes 2 10 6. Only I and a big stack were remaining in the hand. I bet the flop like 10$, he calls. The turn 8. No bet and the river 2. I check and the other guy pushes me all in. He has me covered. I make the call and he shows me the 7 9 off suited.
What did I did wrong in the hand?

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 10:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi PunisherK2,

Well the first big mistake I can see is you didn't raise Pre-flop.

So basically you let him see the cards cheap and gave him a chance to Hit his cards. When He calls the $10 on the flop What range of cards did you put him on .

Oh what stakes are these and what was your stake and what was his stake. Calling an all in with 1 pair seems very loose unless i know the other player will do this often with worse than one pair.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 11:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Punisher,

Your main mistake in this hand was being too passive. With QQ, you should nearly always be raising pre-flop both for value (it's the 3rd best starting hand in holdem, so can definitely be called by worse) and to seize the initiative. If you raise pre, then the villain will typically check to you on the flop. Since you have an overpair, you can bet for value and protection (you don't want him hitting a random ace/king on the turn cheaply). The turn makes the board a bit wetter, as a straight is possible, or villain has picked up a straight draw. Again, I'd bet for value, especially since villain could have AT or KT for top pair. The river is a blank. If villain shoved all in before I had a chance to bet, I'd usually have to fold, because he has me beat with two pair, a straight or a set. Big river leads/donkbets usually represent the nuts.
If villain checked, I'd make a smaller bet for value hoping for a crying call by a worse one pair hand, but (depending on stack sizes) I'd often be in bet-fold mode, meaning I'd bet, but fold to a raise, as river raises are hardly ever bluffs.

One of the great things about betting your hand is that in addition to getting value when you're ahead, you also get information from villain. If you make a decent bet and villain raises, he's telling you he can beat one pair, so you can cut your losses and fold. When you check the turn you're missing a street of value, giving villain a free card if he's on a draw, showing weakness that may encourage him to bluff, but getting no solid information about his holding.

Hope this helps!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 05, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi there

Welcome to the forum,

Good to see your posting hand analysis trying to improve your game (since that is what the site is about)

If you need any help finding your way around just visit this link

We hope you enjoy your time here with us

Ads

Old
Thanks - Mon Apr 08, 2013, 07:34 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2013
Hello

Thank you all for the intell. I was trying to play small ball poker and figured that since I was against a big stack I thought he was trying to bluff me and, on top of that, I knew he was a loose player, beating him up with hands like AJ or KT when the board was dry. I thought he was trying to push me around since I was the shortest stack at the table. Anyway, after that hand I rebought and took from him all my money back plus something more.!

Again, thank you for the reply and if I have any more questions I'll be back!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com