Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sun Apr 07, 2013, 08:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
Hi, I have not yet made a deposit and would like to participate in this promotion

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 07, 2013, 01:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by montimus85 View Post
Hi, I have not yet made a deposit and would like to participate in this promotion
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 10:45 AM
(#4)
Thanks

I have played some play money games as suggested, however I've found them very sloppy with the play as there seems little attachment to the chips! I've played some of the PSO freerolls lately and have saved a hand from there that I did wonder if I went about it the right way.

With most of these PSO freerolls, I'm fairly conservative to avoid bombing out early and going backwards down the ladder. I'm under the gun, and get dealt A9 off suit and call the blinds. I think you'll tell me I was too soft here and should have raised to 3-4 BBs? I'd be reluctant to do so as this would be up to one-third my stack in this situation and would put me in a difficult spot should I lose.

Anyway, I flop a pair of aces and put a bet of 2BBs in. Again, I suspect you'll tell me not enough... in this case possibly I should be doing more to try to win this pot here and now? In hindsight, I was probably attempting to do a bit of both - building the pot and making others decide if they want to chase their draws. I'm particularly interested to hear what the best move was here.

On the turn comes the 8 of clubs. Giving 3 clubs on the table and a straight draw. Out of hope that neither have hit, and to try to win this hand asap, I bet 4 BBs - I don't want to over commit given my modest (at best!) stack. One of them raises to put me all in and I think dammit... too late. I reluctantly lay down, which in the end, proves to be a good move, but I can't help but think I probably missed an opportunity here.

--------------
If you require an actual hand to be posted from the play money games, here is one:

Ended up splitting this pot with the same hole cards. I did find it difficult to be involved in many hands on the play money tables as it seems there are many inflated bets, and it a bit of a lottery. Given I predominantly play tourneys, I'm generally more conservative as I tend to try to build my wealth gradually rather than boom or bust. I'd rather finish lower in the money on a regular basis than actually winning on very rare occasions but busting out early for the rest.

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 11:31 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

These are tournament hands and do not count for this promotion.

Please remember that Bankroll Builder is a Cash Game promotion only.

Play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 11:46 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Never mind, my mistake, I see the Play Money hand now

Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 04:34 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi montimus85!

With A9 from UTG, especially in a league game, this is an instant muck for me. I need to play much, much more conservative in them and due to this, I only want to be playing premium hands from the blinds or early position. I'd even muck AQo from UTG in this situation.
Another thing that I will never do (unless I mis-click) is to open-limp. If the hand isn't worth raising, then it's not worth playing, especially when out of position.

Here's why I don't want to play marginal cards in league games. I flop top pair with a bad kicker and have 4 opps. Due to the large number of opps, I would need to make a pot-sized bet if I bet the flop (post-flop bets need to be based on the size of the pot, not what the blind is). However, making a pot-sied bet pot-commits me, so due to this, I'd have to shove the flop.... which is not something that I want to do if I can easily be beat.

In league games, I only want to be playing premium hands and I need to muck anything even remotely marginal. A9 from this position, UTG, isn't even marginal... it's well worse than even a marginal hand.
----------------

With K8o from UTG, this is another one where I do not have a good hand, it's not worth raising with, so I need to immediately muck it. I want to be putting my chips into the pot when I'm ahead, not when I'm easily behind. Also, due to the positional disadvantage, I want to only play premium hands from the blinds and from EP. Chasing with bad cards, especially limping with them is something that observant and better players will exploit.

On the flop, I hit top pair with a bad kicker and an opp leads out for 600 (60% of the pot). Since I can be easily outkicked here, even though I have top pair, I need to muck.

No way am I going all-in with only top pair and a bad kicker. I may get lucky every once in a while, but I will bust the overwhelming majority of the time when I would do this.

The key here is to muck marginal hands preflop, especially when out of position.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 04:50 PM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Please let me know as son as you pass the Poker Basic course and I'll get your first bonus to you

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 09:03 PM
(#9)
Thanks for the reply John, seems I need to be holding off more for premium hole cards.

I have completed the basic quiz RoyalRaise

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 05:20 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by montimus85 View Post
I have completed the basic quiz RoyalRaise
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#11)
Thanks for the initial funds, I have so far managed to double it, after going backwards early on against aggressive players and a combination of mediocre starting hands and no luck. A switch of tables and finally getting dealt some better hole cards, I started to move up.

My hand for analysis:
Got dealt pocket 7's which I chose to raise in mid-position, and was called by the button and SB. Managed to hit my 3rd 7 on the flop and figured this hand was mine for the taking. I put a small bet in, which, looking at it in hindsight, was wrong given the straight and flush draw - I should have bet big to make it difficult for the draw. Regardless, my small bet was called, and a 3rd suited connector comes out. Concerned at this point, but offer a bet at it anyway in hope the opposition will leave. Again, after reading the cash game guides, I have realised this was too small a bet. Nevertheless, I am only called. Offer another smallish bet on the river, called again, and I lose to 3 queens.

I think I was worried about protecting my small stack at the time, hence the low-ish bets, but I now understand this should not be a concern after reading the guides you pointed me to. Anyway, I have since played many more hands and already feel I have improved considerably since I started a few hours ago. - still lots to learn however!!

One particular question - am I allowed to enter freeroll or paid tourneys and still be eligible for future funds? I have played the 1/2c NL game for several hours as required, although I am uncertain if I can enter any other type of game - freeroll or otherwise. (I'm doing ok on the PSO open league and would like to be able to keep moving up the ladder!)

The reasons to bet big are to protect against strong draws, gain value on very strong hands, or to bluff others off decent hands.

I have completed the Cash game quiz now too

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 06:34 PM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:13 PM
(#13)
I have another hand I'd like analysed please.

With KK it was an easy call against villain_8 after he raised my initial raise. My concern was not from V_8, as he had been playing loosely anyway, but I am not sure whether I wanted Villain_7 in the pot or not. Obviously with 2 other players, my chances of winning lower, and I wanted to win some cash with this hand, but am I short changing myself by trying to shut him out?

Basically, should I have just called V_8's all in, with the door left slightly ajar for V_7 to join in also, OR... am I right pushing too, getting good value anyway if V_7 does decide to call with an inferior hand. Didn't want him getting lucky on the board I guess. What is the right play here? Thanks

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 04:28 AM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi monti! I'll take a look at these two hands.

#11. Since you're quite short-stacked, it's kind of marginal to be opening 77 in earlyish position, but there are a few empty seats at this table, so you probably have the best hand.
Since you raised pre-flop, a continuation bet on this flop would usually be the right play even if you missed, but here you flopped a set, which is a huge hand. Since the board is so wet, with flush and straight draws possible, you want to make a bet that is close to pot-sized to get as much value for your hand as possible. By betting bigger, you will also become pot-committed. That might sound like a bad thing, but when you're short-stacked and have a big hand, it's actually what you want to happen, because you will no longer have any tricky decisions. Also, when the pot is large in relation to the remaining stacks, villains are more likely to call your bets with any piece of the board, which is great if you have them crushed.
So your min-bet into 22c just leads to trouble. Villain will call with hands like Qx, Jx, T9, AK, any two spades, maybe even just ace high, but you've not defined your hand and become committed. You've only spent 8c on the hand and have 75c remaining, so you can still think about folding, which is not something you should have to do with a set. Provided the board doesn't bring 3 or 4 flush/straight cards, you should be stacking off with a set almost always.
Villain calls the minbet and the turn is about the worst card in the deck. The completes several draws.
I actually like your turn bet size. Since you weren't committed, it's a nice size that gets value if villain just has top pair, or two pairs, or is still drawing, but also gives you a decent price to see if you can make a boat/quads on the river if villain currently has you beat.
Villain just calls, so it seems he doesn't have the flush. If he'd put you all in with a raise, then there's room to fold, because the price would be too high for your 10-out draw.
The river is a blank, so you just have your set. Sometimes, I'd check here, inducing villain to make a bluff with a missed draw, and then I'd call the bluff, but villain has been passive throughout the hand, so I'd expect to see him show hands like JT or KQ quite often. He might check behind with those because he has showdown value and is worried you have a flush/straight. Since we don't want him to check behind with worse hands, we can get value from the weaker hands by making a "blocking bet" of 1/4 to 1/3 of the pot. Your bet size is fine here, because it's hard for villain to raise without the nuts, so it prevents us being bluffed off our hand, but it's small enough to get value from worse. Basically, it allows us to see a showdown for a cheap price.
I'm kind of shocked to see villain has QQ. He should really have 3-bet pre-flop, and/or raised on the flop. It looks like he planned to trap/slowplay, but then got very worried about the turn card.
You ran into a bigger hand here, but most of the time the line you took will get value from worse. Having said that, I'd definitely go with a bigger flop bet next time you have a set, as that will set up an all in shove for max value on either the turn or the river.

#13. With KK in the SB, there are two limpers and you make a raise to 8c. This is good. I'd often make it 10c, because the standard size is 3bb + 1bb for each limper. UTG calls, and then UTG+1 back-raises all in. This is a very odd play for him. If he had a real hand, then why didn't he raise vs the first limp? We're obviously at least calling here, but I think shoving is fine too. Neither you or UTG can really flat-call 71c, as that would be half of your stacks. You can't put half of your stack in and then fold on the flop. Just get it in now. Occasionally, UTG will make it a 3-way all in, but most of them time you're going to be heads up against UTG+1.
He shows up with a terrible hand which you completely crush. KT can only beat KK by making trip 10s or a straight, so you were a huge favourite here. Nice win!

Cheers,
Arty

P.S. I believe you're allowed to play freerolls during this promotion, but I wouldn't do any real money tourneys without getting confirmation from one of the moderators first.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 04:56 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 06:22 AM
(#16)
Unfortunately I'm replying with case 2) - I went bust with pocket aces

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 07:45 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:10 AM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again Monti! This hand is a cooler, meaning there was no way that all the money didn't go in the middle after the flop. There are a couple of things you can learn here, however.

You have AA in the BB, villain 6 posted out of turn (a mistake) and checks his option (so he's effectively a limper), the button makes a standard iso-raise, and the small blind 3-bets to 15c. You should be loving it when there's all this action in front of you, and a cold 4-bet is definitely in order. This looks like a squeeze play, which puts the button in a tough spot. He needs a very strong hand to continue, because 2 players have come over the top of his open. Your sizing could be a little larger (I'd generally go with about 45c when making a 4-bet), but 34c is good enough to get you heads up. The button wisely folds and the SB calls. It's usually a mistake to flat call a 4-bet, especially when out of position. Villain's range for doing this is very narrow, and it's something like QQ-TT, AK and KQs; a range you're crushing.
The flop comes K87tt, which is kind of good for you. Villain is unlikely to have flatted pre with KK (he'd normally 5-bet jam with that) but if AK didn't 5-bet, then that hand will pay you off. KQs will also want to stack off, because the pot is large in relation to remaining stacks. Underpairs like QQ-TT are probably giving up, after making a bad call pre-flop.
I'd actually make a smaller c-bet than normal here. In a huge 4-bet pot with little money behind, even a small bet will be enough to get all in on the turn. You have $1.02 behind and I'd put a third of it in on the flop, and the rest on the turn. A bet of 35c might even get looked up by QQ.
As played you bet 46c, and villain check-raised all in. You obviously can't fold for another 56c when the pot is so big. It turns out villain had a monster flop. Top pair + flush draw is usually a hand I'd be willing to stack off with in most situations. You're now racing for your life against a hand that has tons of outs to beat you. TP + FD vs an overpair is actually a 50/50 coinflip situation.
Unfortunately for you, villain wins this race by making the flush on the turn, leaving you drawing dead.

I think you played this hand fine. Villain made a bad decision pre-flop, but was lucky enough to suck out.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you will receive your 3rd bonus later today!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your 3rd buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your final Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

If you should lose your second buy-in at the tables do not despair, simply post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread using the hand replayer. Once you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step but hopefully this won't happen to you.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:48 AM
(#20)
Had a good session this evening and I think I just passed 10 VPPs since the 3rd bonus.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com