Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL2 FR: JJ, luck, or am I playing wrong?

Old
NL2 FR: JJ, luck, or am I playing wrong? - Sun Apr 07, 2013, 10:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013

Villian was unknown.

I'm basically brand new to competitive poker, I've gotten through the basics and the Cash Games sections of the poker school.

I'm just lost as to if I was playing this right, however I've been pretty frustrated lately so I might just be telling myself I was and just had bad luck.

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 12:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Hi NfinITE, welcome to PSO!

Nothing wrong with how you played the hand there. People who play with <20BB behind them in cash games are usually either complete noobs or someone who's just lost a big pot and on tilt. Most regs will auto-reload. With that in mind I'd be more than happy to straight up shove the last 11BB over a 6BB raise with pocket jacks as the villain will be raising (and likely calling) with a pretty wide range here.

You ended up putting your chips in as a favourite (about a 60-40 in this case) to win which is what's important for winning play in cash games. You just need to play enough hands to make up for bad beats and you'll be raking in cash.

If you try out zoom tables or against a bigger stack I wouldn't be calling a shove with pocket jacks a lot of the time unless I had info that the villain was loose because in general people do play pretty tight but in that situation it was fine.

Hope some of that helped

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
Hello

This guy was sitting at 34c, he would probably shove all in with any two cards JT+ or any random pocket pair. Also you were the favorite as mimesis.is said, so even if his cards were face up you made the right move .

However the Re Raise (3Bet) size was off. when you 3Bet you should generally make it 3 times the original raise. There are a couple videos on bet sizing guidelines on PSO, i suggest watching xfelixx' two part instructional.

Keep making good moves, in the long run they will pay off.

Last edited by Low Rated; Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: I dont know if its aginst the rules to post links to certain stuff so lets not get myself in trouble :)

Old
Sick board - Mon Apr 08, 2013, 03:44 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
There was no actually no value in these hand. I would fold or all-in, because of the small effective stack. Your next move should be change table.

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 07:52 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandik107 View Post
There was no actually no value in these hand. I would fold or all-in, because of the small effective stack. Your next move should be change table.
57% chance to turn 34c into 67c (factoring in rake)
On average you're making +4.2c each time you do that. (i.e. 2BB)

Against his expected range (say ~top 15% of hands) you're making an average of 7c (3.5BB)

If I could make an average of that many big blinds per hand I played I'd be extremely happy.

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 10:04 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Nfin,

Against a 17bb stack opening from the button, I would put him all in preflop every time with JJ here. Normally don't min-raise for your 3-bet sizing, start with roughly 3x the total bet size and if you think adjustments are warranted make them from that. For future reference, it's not material in this hand as the villain is so short stacked.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com