Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Having trouble applying information

Old
Having trouble applying information - Sun Apr 07, 2013, 11:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
I've done a fair amount of reading and completing the lessons that pokerschool offers, and I feel like my play has improved drastically from what it was when I started learning about competitive poker, however I find that I still don't know what I'm supposed to be doing 3 quarters of the time.

I've played about 400 hands in the last couple days on 1c/2c NLH cash games, and I've been playing about 10-15% of the hands, but I find that the ones that I choose to play (usually monster or very good) everyone will end up folding on my 5BB raise (10c) which I'll generally do all the time.

When people do play the hands out I'll very rarely win them, but it won't be a loss at the flop or to a straight or a flush (because I'll fold if the board indicates that possibility) but usually to something like 3 of a kind from a pocket pair or 1 or 2 pairs with a rank or two higher then mine.

Obviously I'm making a fair amount of mistakes, but I get the feeling my play is probably WAY worse then I think it is because I'm down 4 dollars in 400ish hands and I've been playing tight-aggressive (or at least my understanding of it) almost the entire time.

I'm just wondering if there's a place to play or a way to have my table play assessed outside of the hand analysis (which I'm already using).

Thanks,
NfinITE55

EDIT: I guess I missed the point that I had with the title...

It feels like I'm not applying the information in the lessons properly, as my results are telling me.

Last edited by NfinITE55; Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
400 hands is a very small sample size. Your results often are much different over even a much larger number of hands than that, compared to your long term results (100,000+ hands.) Your 5x raise and the tight image you have with your 10 to 15% VPIP may be combining to discourage your opponents from playing marginal hands. Try using a 3x to 4x raise to get a little more action when you do open.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 03:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Like Bearxing said,400 hands is a miniscule sample size. And 5x to open is too large,go to 3x or even a combination of 3x for late/middle position and 4x for early position (you should be opening a much tighter range from EP and have more players left to act behind so the extra 1x can be useful to have less people drawing against what should be a very strong holding of yours...).

If I may make a suggestion...try playing a couple weeks of Fixed Limit Hold Em. You'll see many more hands played though all the streets in that game,which will make you more used to getting a feel for board textures post flop. This will be invaluable to you in NLHE. Personally I'm of the mindset that any beginning player should start off playing FLHE before moving to NLHE. Then "fold in" so to speak the NLHE play gradually,as there are different parameters in bet sizing,obviously,in NLHE.

Which ever you decide to do remember...TAKE NOTES. Come up with a color coding system that works for you so that you have a feel for who the calling station loose passive types are,who the hyper-aggro maniacs are and all the other colors of the poker rainbow. When you have a good read on a player's tendencies then you know how best to combat them.

Don't try to take on too much info at once. You're going to have leaks,MAJOR leaks,in your game right now. You're new so it's unavoidable. You won't even recognize some of them and indeed are incapable of seeing them even were they to be pointed out to you right now. That's natural and no reflection on you,everyone goes through this. Some pick it up faster than others but we ALL have to keep learning and improving. Poker players are like sharks...if they stop moving,they're dead. As you go along you'll have many "A-Ha! Now I get it..." moments. These are even better than winning money when you recognize them,because you know that you'll win money over and over again once you see them,plug that hole and put another tool in your tool box.

Don't get frustrated,learn how to use the Hand Replayer and post hands that vex you in the proper sections and we WILL help. Remember,just by coming in here and showing a willingness to learn you've already taken a huge step and put yourself ahead of 90%+ of the players you'll be up against in the micro stakes. That gap will only widen,so the best is yet to come.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 04:16 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I agree with the above posts.

I'll add a couple of suggestions that I think will really help you. Firstly spend some time in training sessions, because the trainers here are simply fantastic, and you can ask questions during the session, like "Why did you fold AT under gun?" or "Why did you bet full pot on this KQJ flop?" and usually get a very good answer.

You can also just read the questions that other PSO members ask, if you're worried about looking foolish.
If the live sessions aren't at convenient times for you, then most are archived. I think you'll find Dave's (TheLangolier) to be of most use to you. I've been a winning player for the last 180,000 hands or so, and yet I've learned something useful in every single one I've seen so far; even the sessions for complete novices. Dave's archived lessons can be found here: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...raining-videos

The second thing I recommend relates directly to your question about wondering where to play and the simple answer is PSO Home Games! The Spring Fever series should be a whole lot of fun. During the series we had in March, I was happy to answer questions in the chatbox while playing. I'd also give some friendly advice like "I think you should have raised the flop with that hand" or "I don't think you should be limping 10bb deep", or "It's shove or fold for you now, my friend".

Since the PSO tables include play money games (played at a much higher level than standard bingo-style playmoney games) as well as low buy-in cash games, you can practice out some moves for little or no risk.

Best of luck!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com