Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Staking Section Rules

Old
Staking Section Rules - Mon Apr 08, 2013, 07:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
[Quote]Those of you who be posting in here not involved in this thread with staking I suggest you read the rules of the staking section as if it happens again you will no longer be allowed in this section!!

**Closed** [\quote]

[Quote]8.) As long as you are not interested in buying shares you should not post in the Shares Forum, however you are allowed to offer tips that might help the OP. Discussing conditions (e.g. a final table cut or the amount of tourneys on the schedule) is fine, as long as you're not derailing the thread. Rooting and railing is allowed and welcome, but only within existing threads!

9.) Pointing out concerns about an offer in a mannered way is acceptible, however defamation of a stakee or any kind of accusation without supporting evidence will not be tolerated!
[Quote]

I'm asking for clarification here because I feel that a sledgehammer is being to crack an egg with the first comment I have (probably badly due to using tablet device) quoted.

I want to ask if it is ok if I post in a thread offering a staking pointing out a stakees previous offer and how they play their poker. I have no doubt that whoever answers will be aware of what I am talking about. I will happily make reference to the fact it ended in profit.

I don't think that counts as defamation by any stretch of the imagination. I just see it as looking out for fellow members who may not be aware.

It's clear that a large number of members got involved in looking at the poor standard of play and offered help before basically being told to go themselves by the stakee.

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 03:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
Hello bhoy,

The staking section is a business section and with that said, any time a thread turns in to a flame war or a lot of bickering starts it will get our attention.

As with the quote above from the thread that was closed, from our point of view it was just spiraling out of control.

As for your "sledgehammer to crack and egg" reference, if that was the case, the thread would have just been closed and several members would have been banned from the staking section.

We decided to remind all involved to refresh themselves with the rules of the staking section as this served a better purpose in this case.

The simplest answer to your question is this; if you’re not going to be involved in staking the person do not get involved in the thread as there will then be no problems.

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

Brian

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#3)
Hi,

Is it okay to offer the OP with advice on hands within the staking thread or should we direct them to post in the HA section in order to do so?

Thanks

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 05:06 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
Hello GB,

If your involved in the stake, then feel free to discuss within the staking thread. If your not involved in the stake, we would prefer that comments on hands be done elsewhere, when those hands are posted elsewhere (i.e. HA, Bad Beat, and such)

The goal in the staking threads is to keep the threads on topic and moving between the backers and horse. In the big picture, most times there are no problems with members in the staking threads sharing ideas and comments, but as we have seen time and time again it only takes a few to derail the thread. This is the reason we ask those not involved to not be in there.

Brian

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 06:41 PM
(#5)
Thanks for the reply Brian.

I'm just looking mostly at rule 9 here though, as you suggested everyone should do, and I think it covers what I want to do ie. link back to the previous staking thread with a genuine expression of concern for those who might be considering a stake, ask them to review hands which the 'villain' (Just playing with words here) has played.

Or is rule 9 only meant to cover situations where someone has done a runner with staking money?

Again, the rule mentions defamation, I have no intentions of defaming anyone. The guy posted the hands himself in the threads all I want is to point an arrow to his own posts and playing style.

Its maybe a moot point anyway as the thread is nearing the 24 hour mark, has had 40+ views, and no-one has posted offering a stake yet. A cursory glance at most of the threads suggests that beyond that point it will simply drift down the page.

For future reference though I think rule 9 should either be amended or deleted if it still precludes members from raising a genuine concern about a potential stakee.

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 07:26 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
Bhoy maybe you're not giving stakers enough credit - certainly when I consider staking someone I check their rankings, previous forum posts, and even the ability to use spaces between sentences ;-)

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 08:27 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO2COO View Post
Hello GB,

If your involved in the stake, then feel free to discuss within the staking thread. If your not involved in the stake, we would prefer that comments on hands be done elsewhere, when those hands are posted elsewhere (i.e. HA, Bad Beat, and such)

The goal in the staking threads is to keep the threads on topic and moving between the backers and horse. In the big picture, most times there are no problems with members in the staking threads sharing ideas and comments, but as we have seen time and time again it only takes a few to derail the thread. This is the reason we ask those not involved to not be in there.

Brian
Ok, no problem I shall do that.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 05:20 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvokeNZ View Post
Bhoy maybe you're not giving stakers enough credit - certainly when I consider staking someone I check their rankings, previous forum posts, and even the ability to use spaces between sentences ;-)
It's not a matter of not giving enough credit and it isn't a matter of just this one staking truth be told. Though someone has now taken the plunge and staked.

It's just that I think members should be allowed to look out for each other. It seems and feels reasonable that we can make a post saying something along the lines of 'before you entrust money to this person have a look at this post/hand/thread before making a decision'.

Someone rolls up with no active participation in the forums and gets staked. Meh, it just feels wrong.

And yes, the lack of ability to use spaces between sentences should indicate a lot, and there were two posters in that thread with almost identical writing styles. Though maybe that is a cultural commonality between those two posters.

Anyway, I'm getting nowhere here, so I will just keep my mouth shut.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:28 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvokeNZ View Post
Yes I agree Evoke, one should certainlycheckrankingsandpreviousposts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:09 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Try looking at it this way, bboy:

Let's say your next door neighbour is a failed businessman. You might privately warn your friends that they shouldn't make any deals with him, but you wouldn't stand outside the guy's office with a placard saying "Don't go into business with this loser!", because that would be construed as public harrassment. We want to maintain the friendly atmosphere on the forum.

Consider also that the staking forum is for people to make business arrangements. I can understand that you want to "look out" for other PSO members, but getting involved in other people's deals is literally none of your business.
Keeping schtum is definitely your best option here. Creating a big fuss does not have a positive expectation for you. As a poker player, you should avoid tricky spots, and avoid making -EV plays.

Hope this helps. Best of luck at the tables!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:50 AM
(#11)
I've already looked at it that way Arty.

Like I said prior to your post, I am getting nowhere with this thread, and will not get anywhere from it.

The thread can either be closed or deleted. I dont care anymore.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:23 AM
(#12)
Since: Nov 2007
There is little doubt that the original thread got out of hand especially when the poster started getting attacked personally. Some people gave advice but if the advice is not wanted then I would not say anymore in that particular thread but that is just me.

Certainly, the grammatical correctness of an individual's prose has no bearing on their poker ability and a TAG style is only one of a number of styles that can be profitable at these particular game types.

I personally railed the OP in a couple of tournaments and decided based on watching her play complete tournies and not just individual hands that it would be a +EV investment; only time will tell if my judgement was correct or not.

As for ranking sites they give a very disjointed rating of players' abilities. For example on the two that I know of I have rankings of 87% and 83% for this year and I have played a grand total of 25 games and won an amazing $13.00. Does that mean that I am actually better or more profitable than 83% of the Pokerstar's player pool? I think not!

I believe most people that are staking anyone know that there are risks involved as with any transaction, if others wish to comment on other members' play and suitability as a horse I have no issue with it but at the end of the day the backer takes full responsibility for the horse that he chooses.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:20 PM
(#13)
The staking section of the PSO forum has become a joke
So many first time posters are looking for handouts and don't see this as a poker school. PSO leaves the burden to the stakers to find out on their own if the horses are worth the investments. Unfortunately, the stats sites are not always a good picture of the players.

So many people can voice their opinions, but PSO doesn't want people to do so.

PSO should make it mandatory for all members seeking stakes, to have at least 100 posts, attending training sessions and to me, the most important, be responsible for at least 50% of the stake. This would show that the horse as personal interest in the stake. Right now most people are asking for 100%, which to me is playing with 100% of other peoples money with no risk.

I do stake people, but only with those criterias mentioned above.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:42 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
The staking section of the PSO forum has become a joke
So many first time posters are looking for handouts and don't see this as a poker school. PSO leaves the burden to the stakers to find out on their own if the horses are worth the investments. Unfortunately, the stats sites are not always a good picture of the players.

So many people can voice their opinions, but PSO doesn't want people to do so.

PSO should make it mandatory for all members seeking stakes, to have at least 100 posts, attending training sessions and to me, the most important, be responsible for at least 50% of the stake. This would show that the horse as personal interest in the stake. Right now most people are asking for 100%, which to me is playing with 100% of other peoples money with no risk.

I do stake people, but only with those criterias mentioned above.
I honestly and truly had finished with this thread, in that I wouldn't make any more posts at all and let it drift off the first page of the forum, I will say this though:

Thank you.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2010
"PSO should make it mandatory for all members seeking stakes, to have at least 100 posts, attending training sessions and to me, the most important, be responsible for at least 50% of the stake. This would show that the horse as personal interest in the stake. Right now most people are asking for 100%, which to me is playing with 100% of other peoples money with no risk."

Why?

surely up to the individual Staker

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveAllIn View Post
Why?
LOL.... Re-read my post and if you still don't know why, I'll re-explain later

Hint: Integrity, begging etc.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 04:21 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
**closed**

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com