Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

dollah fitty fitty-fitty

Old
dollah fitty fitty-fitty - Mon Apr 08, 2013, 12:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
k I really like the 50/50 tourney format.

You know in a regular full STT you just gotta make top 3 to be in the money. But with the 50-50 all ya gotta do is make top 5 of 10 - how hard can it be, right? But as with most things it's often not as easy as it looks.... or I'd be rich!

But still, I like to think I have a system !!!

Anyway, had an amazing hand in one where I doubled up, however, an also not so amazing hand where I know I should have folded, which ended the tourney, placing me 3rd, but had I lucked out it would have easily sextupled me up... and who doesn't enjoy a nice sextupling up now and then? lol okay sextupling is a stretch but quadrupling could have easily been in the realm of possibility.

So in the first hand I'm sharing I'm in the sb with pkt Qs; the clown in seat 5 jumps all in and well... yeah sure he could have me beat, but it was an opportunity to double up if I caught my set... so I made the buck-fifty call.. if it wasn't a gamble they wouldn't call it gambling.... and with these fifty-fifties you can win large when you finish in first with mega chips over the 2nd place finisher... and that why I opted to call in the other hand I'm showing - the game ender, because had I won that hand I would have cleaned up taking the majority of the prize pool.

(first time trying to use the hand replayer. It doesn't show in the post preview)

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 12:28 PM
(#2)

k, not sure why the replayer doesn't show me the end of the hands, but in the first example evil clown had K7s

and in the one above, villain winner had pkt Js

Last edited by HoaryGill; Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:31 PM
(#3)
ah, I see. just noticed the sticky. Sorry if I ruined anyone's fun by divulging what clown A and nemesis B had.

my bad!

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 03:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 04:02 PM
(#5)
lol

some people's kids, eh?

all this housekeeping!

Do you think we should spring for a maid?

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 05:13 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
First hand is pretty standard, the villain was stealing and got caught. Good play.

Second hand is a little different. I would shove immediately here, to try and get heads up with the shorty. As played, the turn shove by your opponent is a big clue that he has a monster. He knows his hand is going to be face up (eliminates all bluffs from his range), and he also has to beat the all in player. There's a theorem in poker (I forget which one it is) that says you should be extremely cautious when there is a large turn bet if you hold a one pair hand, and the cautious play here would have been a fold.

I understand what you are saying about accumulating chips, but your tournament EV is zero if you bust.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by joy7108; Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com