Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder

Old
Bankroll builder - Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding that specific hand I played..

1) Knowing 4 players are already sitting out, was it enough to raise only 2 times the big bling (being the second player to talk) with KTs ?
or should I have folded such a hand?

2) my call of 300 at the flop, was it what we call a good call?
Obviously, I am on a flush draw with King high which is pretty good for me at that stage. there is a pot of 930 and I have 300 to call (1/3) while I'm playing 9 cards.

3) My bet on the turn. should I have checked instead of betting to see what happen or was the bet a god decision as I was still on my flush draw (but with top pair at that point)?

of course, don't hesitate to share remarks outside those 3 questions if you feel the need

Cheers.
emi4173.

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 05:31 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 04:49 PM
(#4)
Hi there,

Here is one hand for which I have one or two questions...

Ok, first I agree A2o is not the best hand to play with but as I had the biggest stack at that moment and as I was SB with no one raising in front of me, I decided to call for the 1 remaining chip..
And things turned quite good in the end I would say...

But my questions are mainly about my bet on the river.
I'm on two pair but facing a board with possibilities to face a Straight (6 to 2) or a Flush (clubs)..

At that moment, I'm facing 4 opponents, but I think I'm still a good favourite to win the pot but not with a big margin. No one ever moved on the flop or the turn, so except a player slow-playing the straight, a double pair or a set, I was more to be facing a player with a single pair or a flush.

As I was the first player to talk, I went for what I think is a an agressive bet of almost 3 times the pot and got luckily called by only a weaker hand than mine.

But was that the way to go? To be honnest if one player had raised me.. I think I would have folded my hand.. so my bet was more a kind of questions asked to the other players.. Have you made a big hand?

I have to say, until know, all my PokerSchool readings have concentrated on pre-flop, flop or turn strategies but nothing yet about that final bet on the river...
In my opinion, I think this last bet is very important as it is also the one where you might have to show or not your pocket cards to the other players around the table.

So should I bet a lot for making all my opponents fold and keep that precious information secret to the risk of loosing a lot of my chips, or should I bet to collect more chips and risk to divulgate some usefull information to the others? --> If someone knows about some articles treating that specific subject, I would be very interested

BTW I already completed the Poker Basic assessment quiz before posting my first thread to this forum, Should I pass the test again?

Cheers.
Enrico.

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:17 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:34 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Enrico!

With A2 from the SB there are 2 limps in front of me. While I could very easily limp behind and see the flop, I'm going to make a standard opening raise here to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 2 limpers, I'll raise to 5BB or 10 chips. The reason that I want to do this is two-fold. First, I want to try to get some of the opps to fold, as I have to play the rest of the hand out of position. The second is that I want to try to start to define the opp's ranges. If I limp, the BB can literally have any 2 cards, so I'll have zero info about their hand before I need to make a play on the flop. Also, I can see if the other two have decent hands or are limping in with trash (that they should fold to a raise).

I hit bottom pair on the flop. My play here will depend on what I did preflop. If I had raised preflop, then I'll most likely check here for pot control, as the opps that call a raise could easily have a larger pair. But, with a limp preflop, I'm going to make a lead bet on the flop of 3/4 pot, 6 chips, (due to having 3 opps in the hand). I want to get value for my pair that could be ahead and to start to define the opps hands, to see if I'm possibly ahead or behind.

The turn is a blank for me and if I had raised preflop or bet the flop, I'm going to check here for pot control. But once again, with nobody betting so far, I need to make a 3/4 pot bet to try to get value for my pair and to see where I'm at in the hand.

The river is both a good card and a bad one. Yes, I hit two pair, but so could an opp and they also could possibly have a flush. With 3 opps in the hand, I'll make a standard value bet of 3/4 pot and see how the opps react.

I want to keep all of my bets standard so that the opps are continually guessing as to the strength of my hand. Preflop, I will base my bets off of the size of the blind (or an opp's bet if there is a raise) and post-flop, I want to size them based off of the size of the pot. On the flop/turn, I'll bet 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 or a pot-sized bet, based on the number of opps in the hand and what the board texture is. I'll base my river bets similarly buy may bet a bit more or less, depending on the opp's playing style and the board texture.

I do not want to make abnormally large nor abnormally small bets. These types of bets are normally tells for an opp's hand strength and are very easy for observant opps to exploit. For a large bet, it won't work against an observant opp, as they will fold all weaker hands and only call with better hands. For the smaller bet, it will get raised by lesser hands due to showing weakness.

Just looking at river bets isn't necessarily the way I'd go about it. I want the entire hand to tell a story when it's played out. For example here, preflop, flop and turn, I say that my hand is weak by calling or checking, then on the river I say my hand's strong by the big bet. That doesn't tell a consistant story unlees I had absolutely nothing until the river. If the opp sees this, they should not call the bet unless they have 2 pair bet (most likely by a flush). Consistancy and standard bets are a big key in maximizing the profites that I can get from the hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:38 PM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
(#8)
Hi!

Just one question, when you say "you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours", what kind of bonus do you mean exactly? Because as up to now, my situation stayed exactly the same... :-)

Or is it maybe because I'm from Belgium? I've to say that a couple of weeks ago now (6th April), I won a PSO ticket by completing the Basic Course Assessment Quiz, but I never received the ticket, so I asked the question why to support@pokerschoolonline.com and someone there told me at that time that this was because I'm from belgium and that rewards do not apply for Belgium...

Cheers.
Enrico.

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

I'm not sure about the Country restriction but I will find out for you and post back here. It might take a day or two to get a reply so please be patient while I look into this for you.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 06:29 PM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Your first bonus has been awarded now, please complete the 3 steps above to earn your next bonus

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com