Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Bets

Old
Bets - Mon Apr 08, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Do you think im raising this hands to much

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Last edited by mike2198; Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 06:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 08, 2013, 07:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Mike!

There's nothing wrong with the way you played this hand. In fact, the only slight mistake is by not betting enough pre-flop.
With AQ in the SB with two limpers in the pot, I'm making a larger open, so I get value for my hand (it's likely to be way ahead of hands that limp) and to deny the limpers a cheap price to see if they can hit the flop. Players like to limp in with speculative hands because they want to see a flop cheaply. You shouldn't let them do that. Punish the limpers!

A standard open raise would be 3bb (6c), but I'd add an extra bb for each limper, to make my bet 5bb (10c). Since I'm out of position, I might add on another couple of cents, to make it more likely that I only have one caller and I can make a more meaningful bet on the flop.
Here you just went with 3bb pre and both limpers called. You got a good flop, TPTK on a board that only has a couple of draws. (KT and T9 are the only open-ended straight draws).
If these villains limp-called with hands like 33 or 65s, you won't get a cent out of them on this flop, but often they will call with one-pair hands like JT, and sometimes even ace high. Having two villains in the pot also increases your chances of being called, so when I have a value hand (like TPTK) I'll be betting quite a large % of the pot. 15c into 20c is good. You might get called more often if you only went for 12c or 10c, but against loose/weak players, I'm happy to make larger bets. I think a lot of 2NL players don't even notice the size of the bet, provided it's not ludicriously big. If they have something, they're calling. If they don't they're not.
You had a strong hand here, but villains didn't have anything to call with. Just be happy you won a small pot. With a hand like AQ, that's often your aim. You can't win a stack every time.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
AQ, that's often your aim. You can't win a stack every time.

hehe i cant win a stack any time at the minute that was like 1 of my best hands since last week, how ever i think you have just made me realise a major leak in my game i always 3 bet my premium hands even when people limp because i want a call and hopefully flop a good board but the trouble is im not hitting very often at the moment and im losing all my preflop action and a bluff bet il fire off on the flop which the majority of the time i win but its not profitable

im breaking even every time i come on so i think il do the bets per limper and maybe it will make up for the times i miss the flop and cant make people fold on the flop, cheers arty

hope i can get some good cards going today im gonna try out tournys otherwise i dnt think my strategy is good enough in a tourny though at the minute so im gonna join some classes and see what i can learn

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:23 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Just a note on the termininology, as a lot of beginners get confused on this.
A standard raise is 3 big blinds, but that's not the same as a 3-bet.
A 3-bet is a re-raise. (It's called a 3-bet because it's the third different bet size since the start of this "street". The first bet (2c) is represented by the big blind and any limpers. A raise (which might be 6c, 8c, 10c or something else) would be a 2-bet. A reraise (which is coincidentally normally 3 times the size of the last raise) would be a 3-bet. After that, someone might 4-bet, often leading to a 5-bet shove.)

I'll give you a clearer example of why you should add 1bb for each limper when you are raising for value.

1. There's one limp. You raise to 6c. The blinds fold and the limper calls. The pot is 15c. You c-bet 10c and the limper folds. You drag a 15c pot, of which you contributed 6c. You made a profit of 9c.

2. There's one limp. You raise to 8c (3bb + 1bb for limper). The blinds fold and the limper calls. The pot is 19c. You bet 12c and the limper folds. You drag a 19c pot, of which you contributed 8c. You made a profit of 11c.

So you see, that just adding that extra bb for the limper leads to an immediate bonus of 2c when you take the pot down on the flop.
If you'd hit the flop hard, and get called by the villain, then the pot grows much more quickly than it would if you'd only made it 6c pre-flop.
When we have the best hand, we want to build a big pot, so start doing so by adding an extra bb for those limpers.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com