Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL FR Zoom: Barreling the River on Missed Draw

Old
25NL FR Zoom: Barreling the River on Missed Draw - Tue Apr 09, 2013, 04:14 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
This hand comes from 25NL FR Zoom. The villain was 30% vpip, 19% pfr, 10.5% 3-bet and 95% c-bet over 210 hands.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...759_0EE0A76693

I was quite happy with how I played this hand based on my read. I don't tripple barrel too often. With the villain's high 3bet stat I would have expected a pf reraise if he had an A with a decent kicker. He didn't so I took A10+ out of his range.

I flopped a flush draw so c-betting was standard for me. My outs improved on the turn so I fired another barrel. It seemed like the villain was either on a draw himself or had a non-A pair.

I missed all my draws on the river but the pot was worth fighting for. The second A and passive play from a guy who bets/raises his strong hands convinced me that he didn't have an A. I didn't have any showdown value, so this seemed like a perfect board and villain to fire a third barrel on the river.

This is not a play I make all that often, and I was happy with my play in this hand. Does my line and bet sizing seem ok, or would you suggest doing something differently?

Thanks!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 07:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Not too sure I would have fired a third barrel without that ace hitting the river but as played nh. Sticking to the exact same half-pot bet that you've made up until then sends a nice message of expecting to be called. I would have had a hard time calling the river with a hand such as 99/TT for sure.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Greg,

Very nice recognition of the villain's stats and implications on his range here, I agree it is seems unlikely he has an ace.

Your line is good imo, but I like sizing the bets different, curious if you chose half the pot all the way for a reason or if it's just your standard amount?

I prefer to bet bigger on the turn, like 2/3rd - 3/4th pot, then if called follow through with a smaller river bet which can be less than half the pot. Reason is he will have a fair bit of weak pairs and draws in this spot, so the bigger bet sells an ace better imo as it looks like we're trying to price out draws, and threatens a much bigger river bet, making it very hard to hero call us with a weak pair. I expect him to call again with his draws, which is what we want... we dominate some of his draws, and when he misses, we'll win a bigger pot when he folds to the river bet (which can be smaller, giving us a better price on the bluff and given our line still looks really strong like we're trying to get AK paid off).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Thanks for the input to you both!

Dave, as always, you bring up an issue that I hadn't even considered - thanks!

Bet sizing: On the flop, I was thinking that I was not afraid of a draw; therefore, no need to c-bet more than necessary. On the turn, my outs improved, again I was mainly thinking about pot control and my own odds. In other words I was betting the least amount that I though was needed to get the job done. I was not considering how my bet sizing would appear to the villain. To be quite honest, it wasn't until I bricked the river and saw the A, that I realized I had a good opportunity to steal the pot. This wasn't really a river contingency that I had planned for from the start of the hand.

Thanks for opening my eyes to another weakness in my game. I'll add that to my list of improvement points for the month

Greg

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com