Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$7 NLHE STT - 3 way all-in with KK - a lesson in pre-flop betting?

Old
$7 NLHE STT - 3 way all-in with KK - a lesson in pre-flop betting? - Tue Apr 09, 2013, 07:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
BronzeStar

I ended up in this rather amusing situation yesterday with three of us all-in at a reasonably early stage of this STT.

Had it not been for Villain_1 pushing all-in on the BB, I would have probably been happy to just call Villain_6. However, given his action, I felt that my push would deter Villain_6 whose initial re-raise appeared rather weak. Unfortunately this was not to be as the showdown demonstrates!

In these positions (particularly myself and Villain_1), would you have played any differently?

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 08:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm pretty damn sure it's never going to be profitable to fold KK pre with ~30BB stacks. (Maybe if you had stats on people and you were facing a shove and call from two ultra/nitty players.)
Sure the aces got you this time but it's pretty clear that the other one was happy to do the same with queens, and others will shove with lighter in similar spots.

I'd label this a cooler and move on

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:49 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
BronzeStar
Thanks for the feedback mimesis.is.

I was never going to fold the KK - my question was more around whether the shove (for the reason above) was the right play, or whether it would have been better to have just called?

Clearly the BB took a risk and ran in to a pile of trouble with his QQ only to come up against the KK and AA. However, putting myself in his position having seen a raise and re-raise ahead of him with a shorter stack, I don't think it's one I would take at that stage of the tournament, though I take your point about others shoving with less.

It's obviously a rare setup and could have gone any which way if any of us had hit on the board. I don't think I would play any differently - just interested to see what others would do in either of our positions.

Don't worry, I'm not losing any sleep over this one - I actually got a few lucky breaks and played back from my remaining 225 chips to finish in 2nd place!

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 03:59 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Hi donkey_gsy

imo what you did was correct - Isolation

You can't know what the original open raiser has and your shove is designed to get a fold from that player. So you should be heads up against the 3-bet shove in good shape.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 04:10 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
yup agree with forrest. just bad luck it happens still im not folding kk 30bb deep ever

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 07:12 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi donkey_gsy,

I also think this is really just a cooler for all 3 players involved.

Villain 1 would need a strong read I think to want to fold QQ.

In saying that, your 4x raise UTG looks very strong. So if Villain 6 was a good tight player also and aware of the strength you've shown it could be possible for Villain 1 to a lay down. But without reads I think going with the QQ is ok.

In terms of Shove or Call. It really doesn't matter you guys are getting it in anyway. It would be normal to shove but I doubt Villain 6 is ever folding no matter what you do, 3betting a big UTG raise with 1/3rd of his stack.

Only adjustment I would make is reducing your raise size to 3x absoulte tops UTG at this blind level. You could even open lower.

Cheers
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com